• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Kate In The Desert

Movie Mandela Effect

I just want to pop in here to support Aydee Aitchdee. I too have never seen a Bond film. Never wanted to. Heresy, I know, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. ;) To get back on topic, I've also never experienced the Mandela Effect. Not in movies or elsewhere. Does that make me a weirdo?
  2. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It reminds me of the famous use of that particular American idiom by Dorothy Parker (in the late 1920s, I think): "If all the girls attending the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised."
  3. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I like your thought about 1777. Maybe the traditional, conservative side of the political spectrum came to be associated with the red coats of the British soldiers. :D
  4. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Why not think of anthocyanin as a magical ingredient distributed by the fairies (or is it pixies?). Is that mysterious enough?
  5. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Here's an authoritative voice on red cabbage. No dye involved: "Red cabbage contains a water-soluble pigment called anthocyanin that changes color when it is mixed with an acid or a base. The pigment reversibly turns red in acidic environments with a pH less than 7 and the pigment turns...
  6. Kate In The Desert

Car Park Shenanigans

Actually, mine was the perfect second car. (The first was an Opel Manta; impossible to find parts for). Here's my beloved Chevette:
  7. Kate In The Desert

Haunted Hotels & Hotel Ghost Encounters (IHTM)

That's truly spooky. You must have been really tired to fall asleep again so soon after. However, your initial thought that it might have been rats...that would have been just as terrifying to me as a ghost!
  8. Kate In The Desert

blessmycottonsocks had a good thought, that they were checking that the room was ready for guests. But that dragging sound might have been a ghost! It wasn't the sound of chains dragging, though, was it?
  9. Kate In The Desert

As a matter of fact, it was. ;)
  10. Kate In The Desert

I guess great minds think alike. Or is it dirty minds, tee hee.
  11. Kate In The Desert

Now that you mention it, I'm reminded of when I was a young thing and waitressed in a hotel restaurant for both lunch and dinner. The young Hungarian chef had a guest room designated for him to relax and rest between meals, and one day he was very hospitable, and, well, never mind...I guess it...
  12. Kate In The Desert

Is it possible that two staff members with a key to the room across the way entered it for purposes of, uh, nooky? Then made sure to leave the room all tidy the way they found it?
  13. Kate In The Desert

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Bongos? Have you experienced a time slip back to the 1950s? Oh, well. I'll just have to fly cross-country (after buying myself some Doc Martin's) and take care of his shin myself. So now it's up to you to find your sister in those biker bars.
  14. Kate In The Desert

Health food stores and yoga lessons.
  15. Kate In The Desert

I forgot to ask -- where does your sister hang out? :cool:
  16. Kate In The Desert

Sounds good to me! They say justice delayed is justice denied, but I think I still would be pleased with the balancing of the scales of justice. Make sure you wear heavy shoes, tee hee.
  17. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It's a good thing I like the song "Turn, Turn, Turn," since it's now going to be a stubborn earworm.
  18. Kate In The Desert

I'm not overly enthusiastic about expected photographs of spiders.
  19. Kate In The Desert

I just wanted to pipe up and say that while I truly empathize with your situation with your sister, that's not the only way the world works. My little brother would come up to me, unannounced, and kick me in the shin with his really hard little-boy-shoe (the old-fashioned kind that laced up...
  20. Kate In The Desert

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

Did something else of yours disappear?
  21. Kate In The Desert

Childhood Memory

So sorry about the loss of one of your twins.
  22. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Or maybe had a momentary seizure? That would account for the "staring with a glazed expression."
  23. Kate In The Desert

A Royal Prophecy That Could Still Come True?

Wow, I didn't know it was kosher to sit on the throne without the appropriate headgear!
  24. Kate In The Desert

Who Was That?

And here I was all ready to wink my tiddle. Must be the Yank version. :hahazebs:
  25. Kate In The Desert

Who Was That?

I should perhaps mention that as a child I played a game called "tiddly winks." Never knew what "tiddly" meant then either.
  26. Kate In The Desert

Who Was That?

Tiddly or not (and by the way, what does "tiddly" mean, asks a Yank), what you suggest makes perfect sense to me.
  27. Kate In The Desert

Spiritualist Church Medium

Oh, do tell! I'm interested in the detail.
  28. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Oh yes, of course. I can well imagine all sorts of misidentification. I was just thinking that if I'm right that beavers hang around and swim in water (not that I really know anything much about them, being a city girl and all), and cats hate swimming and bodies of water, then the environment of...
  29. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Cats that like water?
  30. Kate In The Desert

There Is Something In The Woods

Not exactly encouragement to go camping there. Of course, losing one's life to any of these non-paranormal dangers could be the start of a new local story/legend.
  31. Kate In The Desert

A True Story Happened To Me

Hello 王泥喜法介, It's frustrating when you're not quite sure how to interpret something, isn't it?
  32. Kate In The Desert

The Luck Of The Devil

When I play the lottery, I always choose to let the computer pick the numbers. It's too much responsibility to choose them myself. If I were to lose a mega jackpot by just one number, I would much rather blame the computer than kick myself for picking the wrong number.
  33. Kate In The Desert

The Luck Of The Devil

As long as you have a metal detector, you may often find you "have some change left over." I'd love to have an unexpected windfall or two!
  34. Kate In The Desert

Past-Life Recall? (IHTM)

I'd love to know what language was spoken in Atlantis. If the priestesses all congregate in Facebook groups where English is used, that's quite some linguistic coincidence. :thought:
  35. Kate In The Desert

Dreams That Predict The Future

Do you have any 3-digit gambling opportunities?
  36. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep my eye out (nose out?) for said perfume.
  37. Kate In The Desert

Bizarre Night In Mississippi

That is so spooky!
  38. Kate In The Desert

Bizarre Voice In Mississippi

What an impressive obituary for JF!
  39. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

Thanks for more detail!
  40. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

Thanks for the detail!
  41. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

Originally from NJ. Currently in AZ also. Are you in Maricopa County?
  42. Kate In The Desert

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

The phrase you cited reminds me of a quote I read a long time ago, such that I no longer remember the name of the Latin American bishop who said it, but he said something to the effect "When I fed the poor they called me a saint. When I asked why they were poor they called me a communist."
  43. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

I had thought perhaps the candy (sorry, sweets*) earned the name from the color rather than from any authenticity of flavor, but now on a dare I would try the treat, then bite down on a delicate violet just to see, lol. o_O *actually, I have a great fondness for British English, probably...
  44. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

Yup, I'm across the pond. Have you eaten violets to know their taste? Are they edible?
  45. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Ah, but the mystery is the attraction, non?
  46. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Nope. In this particular context, just the title gives me the willies.
  47. Kate In The Desert

Creepy Insomnia

What's a Parma violet gin? It sounds luscious. Chiefly because I love the color. Is Parma a brand name? Is it truly violet in color? Thanks.
  48. Kate In The Desert

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I want to thank those of you who discussed the Nutty Putty cave accident with just enough detail to make absolutely certain that I never read or listen to anything more about "the stuff of nightmares."
Back