• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. T

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

As I said, I didn't mention any person or group of people, or anything political, in my post. It was solely an ambiguous reference to the 'casting' requirements of TV shows as an attempt to answer DTs query with a modicum of humour. (I must apologise wholeheartedly for having the temerity to try...
  2. T

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I'm lurking. After I posted a reply to (I think) Dick Turpin explaining the possible reasons for his inability to get accepted for TV shows, being careful to word my post so that I didn't mention any person or group of people, or anything political, I suddenly was unable to access any part of...
  3. T

Strange Crimes

If local authorities actually provided the services we pay for, vis-a-vis the provision of an accessible waste disposal service ('The Tip/Dump') that was unrestricted and maybe a nominal charge for 'business waste' (yeah it's £3 if you bring a van mate), then there would be much less 'fly...
  4. T

Supersonic & Hypersonic Aviation

I think we'll find that the engineering behind designing supersonic and hypersonic aircraft has moved on somewhat from the days of Concorde. The 'sonic boom' that we are familiar with has been mitigated through designing these new advanced aircraft so that the compression of the air in front of...
  5. T

Spills & Sundry Messes

There's a bit of money involved there I should reckon. "A transporter carrying a fleet of luxury cars overturned on a main road in Kent. The vehicle came off the A20 near Farningham on Wednesday evening, spilling high-value cars across the carriageway."...
  6. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The Red Arrows flew over here a little while ago, at low level, rattling the windows. I looked up the ADS-B to see where they had been, and they hadn't really been anywhere specific, just sort of flown around England in a large uneven loop, going over Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Bedfordshire....and...
  7. T

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I had some daft dream last night that I was attending a wedding reception at a pub in Borehamwood. I was fully smart in a proper suit and tie (or a 'whistle and Peckham' for you Cockneys out there) and was accompanied (as my 'plus one') by the wife of a friend of mine from years ago. She was in...
  8. T

Moon Exploration: Unmanned Missions

Pretty much yeah I would say. A shame we don't really have an aerospace industry left any more apart from a few small companies and some larger corporations which only manage to work by joining up with even larger companies.
  9. T

I wonder if they would have gone ahead with their moon mission had they not received any aid over the years?
  10. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've known a guy since I was a teenager who is like that, but always has to go one better. One of our group of friends or family would (eg) buy a new 60" TV and (lets call him) 'Marcus' will have to go and buy a 65" TV, and tell everyone about it. If one of us buys (eg) a new Tesla car, 'Marcus'...
  11. T

Things That Are NOT UFOs

Looks 'shopped' to me. Especially the 'bowls' in the background that appear to be some distance off the ground. I'm not buying it.
  12. T

The Death Of Yevgeny Prigozhin (Wagner PMC)

Surface-to-air missiles (and air-to-air) are designed with a warhead payload of destructive 'shrapnel' which expand upon explosion of the missile to destroy the aircraft they hit. They aren't solely reliant on the blast from the nearby detonation of the explosive itself, as this would be...
  13. T

The UK has sent about £2.3bn of 'aid' to India since 2016 (more in fact as these figures only go up to 2021). link to independent report "The Chandrayaan-3 cost was sent to the Moon at a cost of about 6.15 billion rupees, or $75 million, according to Reuters. That is less than the cost of most...
  14. T

Lightning Strikes

Electrifying, no doubt.
  15. T

Moon Exploration: Manned Missions & Moon Bases

Well, our Indian chums managed it. Well done them. I do question though, why do we still send 'aid' to India when they're sending stuff to the moon? We don't have a space program that is anywhere near as developed as that, and yet.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-66590445
  16. T

Oh, The Irony

It's about time we all put a sock in it.
  17. T

Fortean Headlines

Do they have easily accessible parking? Asking for a friend.
  18. T

Pareidolia

Quite clearly your picture shows that the people there have a pride in their area, are not lazy, and actually bother to keep their environs tidy. I can't see any litter or detritus of any sort. Which is exactly my point.
  19. T

Oh, The Irony

Let's hope they're taking steps to sort it out for you.
  20. T

Earthquakes

I thought that California had difficulty finding a time when the ground isn't shaking?
  21. T

Back then they couldn't touch you for it. It'd be different now. Up before the beak next Tuesday morning.
  22. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Probably "I feel love".
  23. T

I bet he must hate it when this arse-hat keeps visiting him with his family of wasters.
  24. T

I was sure I had read somewhere that it crashed but upon reflection I think they were talking about it's predecessor.
  25. T

I'm not sure that it was a documentary mate.
  26. T

I forgot to comment before about the Indian mission that crashed onto the moon in it's planned landing area, the Southern pole. And now the Russian one, just days later, has also crashed onto the moon in it's planned landing area, the Southern pole. Why are these missions trying to get there...
  27. T

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

The Panama Canal does indeed join 2 seas, but via a series of interconnecting channels and lakes, all 'above sea level', hence the need for 'locks' at the Pacific and Atlantic sides. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal_locks#/media/File:Panama_Canal_Map_EN.png
  28. T

Autonomous / Self-Driving Cars & Other Ground Vehicles

What, not even if you cut them in half horizontally, thus creating 'convertible' robo taxi's?
  29. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I would advise staying away from metallic objects then.
  30. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I too prefer to use a 'staffed' checkout. Absolutely not! Pull your bleedin finger out luv. Shape up or ship out! We don't pay you to sit there gormlessly staring into the middle distance, wistfully daydreaming about puppies or whatever. And your mandated 3 minute break isn't for another 17...
  31. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Good job this isn't a dating site.
  32. T

The 15-Minute City Conspiracy

Only a few years ago (before he carked it, natch) my dad had both knees done on the same day. They wheeled him into the surgery in the morning and by the afternoon he was walking around again.
  33. T

I expect it was probably more like a 'remote' surgical machine, much like the Da Vinci system 'bot that they use for keyhole surgeries. I wouldn't entrust a scalpel to some AI driven robo-surgeon.
  34. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Both yes and no. I wasn't saying she was thick because of the milk. Or lack of dealing with it as the next item. It was more her apparent inability to recognise the 'cue' I gave by directing my gaze at the bottle and nodding my head towards it, and then I had to actually voice the words being...
  35. T

Protect & Survive (Nuclear War Preparedness)

You wouldn't though - you've got guns, and a well stocked larder, and freezer full of venison.
  36. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

No. And on the possibility of a 'seizure' - well, I guess it's possible but it seemed more like she was looking at me in the way that they do when they've scanned all your items and they're waiting for you to finish bagging them before announcing the cost. (e.g. "That'll be £3, 7, & 6 please".)...
  37. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

"A person is smart, but 'people' are stupid" I am astonished at just how thick people are in general on pretty much an everyday basis. Even with the most basic of things sometimes people act as if they're experiencing some new kind of alien technology and they're working out how to use it for...
  38. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Hahahahaha........ I was sitting here just now randomly scrolling down the 'what's new' list of threads, when I could suddenly hear a horse (or horses) being ridden along the road out front, the clip-clopping on the tarmac getting louder as they got nearer. I turned my head to see if I could see...
  39. T

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

Well, judging by the 4 pages of posts in this thread, I would say that definitely 'yes' they are 'a thing'. But not massively common.
  40. T

Thing is though, is if you have injured yourself, you don't want to have to spend time phoning up call centres, or 'emergency operators', or researching the best place to go, or call, to help you with your specific type of injury. In their attempts to provide better services to people by...
  41. T

It's curious that it is only 4 or 5 miles up the road. A bit of local 'beef' and a can of petrol and some matches. Jobs a goodun.
  42. T

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I was with Nigel Farage at the construction site for part of the HS2 line. I then visited the facilities provided for workers there which were set-up like some kind of small 'shanty town' with dilapidated portakabins being used to house stuff like a small general shop, a laundry service, a...
  43. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

In much the same way as schoolkids sometimes accidentally call the teacher 'mum'. I did that once. And I'll never forget the look on the face of our French teacher, Mr Craven.
  44. T

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Looks like that is a bit "too little, too late".
  45. T

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

The red hat and red socks serve as ... well .... red flags.
  46. T

I asked myself this question: This was 'Britain's Wonkiest Pub' and is now no more. So was/is there a 'Britain's 2nd Wonkiest Pub' which has now usurped the previous title holder? And it seems the answer is yes...... Pub called The Tilted Barrel is now Britain’s wonkiest boozer following loss...
  47. T

Reintroduced Animals

True. I think an immediate review of the plan to reintroduce water voles is urgently required. Even if it only saves one child from being devoured, it's worth it.
  48. T

Reintroduced Animals

How big do you think water voles are?
  49. T

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I rather expect it looks more like this.
Back