• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Dyatlov Pass Incident (1959)

Yes, that's my experience as well. It's so quiet and undetectable. Which reminds me, after my own little "polar" experience, when I finally got back in a heated place and warmed up, for hours in a comfortable bed, my skin already warm, I felt as if the cold was still coming right out of my...
  2. D

I would say the ravine accident seems likely to indicate a nighttime. A longer stay on the slope seems unlikely due to few traces of urine/defecation. One thing though that caught my eye is that there is no mention of sleeping bags in the tent evidence. At least I would expect the group of nine...
  3. D

See, I hadn't been through anything like that before myself, hence the underestimation. I was shocked, paralyzed, there was nothing you could do. You just couldn't do anything at all. I felt stupid, foolish, and helpless. I got out of it, but ever since, I just can't help but feel for homeless...
  4. D

Cold, snow, wind, but most importantly not being able to dress properly, in case it was actually a tent collapse that made their boots, shoes and other stuff impossible to reach. I understand that people read "cold" and they imagine the coldest they ever went through, but anything below -15 °C...
  5. D

Thanks for the link. I remember us discussing this possibility two years ago. It's as with everything else in this case. You got it! Until you don't, because some little evil detail hidden within the evidence says hello. I'm trying to explore the tent collapse scenario, but the entrance part...
  6. D

Thanks. Enola. One cry for help: could you please dig up your original post with the weather maps from the time around February 1st 1959? I hastily leafed through the thread but only found my own re-post without the source. I'm (vaguely) planning to attempt a more elaborate column on this in the...
  7. D

Yeah, lol, no wonder they ran into the cold night barefoot. They were Soviets used to walking around like that all the time! I honestly don't think they couldn't have gotten a new tent had they wanted to. I believe their customized self-adjusted thing worked well, they didn't mind improvising...
  8. D

No need for apology. I didn't take it as a personal attack. I just thought it didn't apply to me. :) I stand reminded! Of course. Plus, we tend to imagine the scenario too non-fluent, linear, and way too hung up on the hard evidence as if everything that needed to take place rotated around...
  9. D

Well, thank you for this, but I clearly outlined that it's a theory, my theory, and I didn't cite any of the evidence you list as a base for it. The base for my theory is pretty simple (and it has nothing to do with the state of the tent as found by the end of February 1959): There is no...
  10. D

Thanks for correction. It's been a couple of months since the last time I looked into it, and you're obviously right regarding the state of Kolevatov's and Dubinina's clothing. If I remember correctly, one of the crew trying to climb back had one shoe. My theory why Zolotarev and T-B were...
  11. D

I was one of the people who coldly refuted Lemmino's explanation (the smoking stove theory), but in the long run, I found myself glad it came up, because I believe in the rebuttal lies a bit of a hint. When you consider the night temperatures fell as low as -30 or even -35 °C around February...
  12. D

Right? But it was there. And my point is that not all the Soviet citizens were at all times blindly obeying everything ordered by someone just because they stood higher in some sort of Soviet command hierarchy. Definitely not in a near-life scenario and among college kids. I just can't imagine...
  13. D

The reasons why I think the avalanche escape exercise is another dead end. First: The group was tired. Excerpt from the Dyatlov group diary entry penned down on January 31st: This sounds absolutely nothing like a guy who has an ice cave surprise for the very following day. This sounds like...
  14. D

And the product of stupid thought or a lack of thought are usually wrong, untrue, incorrect, inadequate or inaccurate ideas and statements. There is really no conflict there. Even the smartest people come up with dumb ideas, although when you label their ideas as such, they can usually see it...
  15. D

Definitely. And not only that. If I conjure a dumb idea full of loopholes and shortcomings myself and I actually end up pushing it rather vehemently, literally blind and deaf to any and every objection, I consider it intellectually polite and honest for anyone to tap me on the shoulder and say...
  16. D

Well, I admit it's a funny idea. They died escaping an avalanche they imagined for the sake of an escape exercise. But should this be taken seriously, this could be the dumbest proposition I have ever read. It's even dumber than yeti which is outrageous. Especially after their challenging and...
  17. D

This is what have found on this: Captain Chernyshov stated: ‘About 10-15 metres from the tent we saw slippers and Dyatlov’s fur jacket. Oss, Svetlana. Don't Go There: Post Mortem (p. 192). LiberWriter.com. Kindle Edition. From the tent in the direction of the wind, i.e. in the direction...
  18. D

I believe Dyatlov's jacket is the perfect microcosm of the entire case because, citing another poster from another thread, according to various accounts, Igor's jacket was: Stuffed in a hole Hanging just at the entrance to the tent 10 metres from the entrance
  19. D

Humans' behavior is seldom as linear as its explanation, but the one thing that keeps bothering me is their unshod / underdressed condition. Especially if we consider the possibility of multiple/separate descents. What would have kept some of them on the slope for longer if not grabbing shoes...
  20. D

I have just learned the Dyatlov Pass case will be re-investigated for only three possible scenarios: avalanche, snow slip and (curiously) hurricane. I'm still trying to imagine what sort of element could force a group like this to leave their shelter without grabbing more clothes, shoes and...
  21. D

For anyone who has not read it yet, this is a 2019 Dyatlov Pass expedition report including an interesting explanation: https://dyatlovpass.com/swedish-russian-expedition-2019?lid=1 (SPOILER: The man thinks the group left the tent because of a katabatic wind, sees the flashlight as their own...
  22. D

What we know for certain is fairly limited and insufficient. That's why we can speculate rather freely. I spent a good amount of time contemplating all possible scenarios of the descent, but came to the conclusion they had no time to play around with it. Had one or two or more descended in...
  23. D

Definitely. That depends on the type of snow and also how snugly it concealed the rocks. When we get a heavy snowfall where I live and the snow lays thick, I'll confidently run down a steep set of rock-solid stairs that are so thickly covered you can't see them because any type of fall is...
  24. D

You mean someone tried to fall in there on purpose?
  25. D

From what we've seen of the ravine though, it does not look like a place to free-fall into. They would have rolled down. The bolded is another crucial part (I haven't seen discussed yet). As the rest of the ravine and the creek running through it was most likely frozen that night due to...
  26. D

I hope to finally put my thoughts down during the upcoming weekend, but my opinions keep changing every time I think about it. Dyatlov Pass is such a logical Ouroboros. You always come back to the start. For now; I've come across another interesting piece of something; a 3D model of the ravine...
  27. D

Yeah, I also noticed the camera cut, but I thought those red flags might have signaled certain distances or maybe even different altitudes. Body locations of course make more sense. There's plenty of interesting material out there, but speaking Russian/reading Azbuka seems essential.
  28. D

That's why it will be interesting to watch what the new investigation leads to, as the case has been officially reopened for two weeks.
  29. D

The site says you get a view of the bodies' location from the den perspective between 00:05 and 00:35. Unfortunately, I only understand very little Russian. Definitely check out those other videos as well, they help to frame and re-frame the overall picture, as they were shot during...
  30. D

@EnolaGaia Sorry about the delay, especially considering how brisk your answers are, but I will be getting back eventually. For now, I'll just post this (in case somebody missed it), which seems like the most detailed description of "the ravine" I have dug up so far, with a dozen of recent...
  31. D

Thank you for all the answers EnolaGaia. This is such a mind teaser! While we will never know for sure, I believe we still have enough pieces to try and fit them together in a way that clicks more than the other explanations, all if's and maybe's notwithstanding. One of the crucial points is...
  32. D

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that reading this thread up until June 2014 was a thrill! Quite comfortably the best thread on this topic, anywhere, with many, many good thinkers. I have also come to the conclusion that extreme and overwhelming cold and consequently bad decisions were the main...
Back