• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Sie

London Forteana

There's an exhibition at the British Library, "Fantasy: Realms of Imagination," which looks like it might be interesting: https://www.bl.uk/events/fantasy
  2. Sie

Threadfinder General: Lost Threads Located

I'm sure I remember it, a thread about long-distance walking trails. I've a horrible feeling that I was the last one to post to it which would make me the threadkiller. I can't see it in my history of threads I've posted to but that's happened with other threads too
  3. Sie

Orkney

I really enjoyed visiting the Kirbuster Farm museum and Scapa Flow museum... both off the beaten tourist trail.
  4. Sie

Fortean Traveller

I visited there in the summer. I was inspired to go because I went to a talk by a historian who has published a book about the siege: The Siege of Loyalty House. In the Q&A after the talk one lady in the audience said that as a child she and her parents had lived in a house in the grounds but...
  5. Sie

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

My American friend asked me about the phrase 'beating something into a cocked hat.' I looked it up online and it seems it might have originally been an American expression.
  6. Sie

Castles' Folklore

I'm back from a holiday in Scotland. Before going, I'd been reading 'Poltergeist over Scotland', by Geoff Holder, so I used this as a travel guide. I was very excited to visit the ruined Galdenoch Castle as it says in the book that it was considered to be so haunted that it was just abandoned -...
  7. Sie

Secret World Of Children's Chants

Thought I'd bump this thread with a belated answer to @merricat. I DO remember this... just. I was at infant school in Lancashire and this is one of the things I remember playing when we weren't running round with our arms out pretending to be daleks.
  8. Sie

Postbox Cosies

I believe it's called 'yarnbombing.'
  9. Sie

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

@Spookdaddy doesn't seem to have been around much. I'm missing his book and film recommendations
  10. Sie

Aviation & Airport Ghosts

I just looked this up in, 'Military Ghosts' by Alan C. Wood (2009). He doesn't give a source but says that the construction training centre was used for making training films and it was a film-crew member who saw a ghost in the squash court and decided to leave a tape recorder running overnight...
  11. Sie

Chingle Hall

Yes, that's what I thought too!
  12. Sie

The Black Monk Of Pontefract

I have a Kindle book, published in 2015: Don't Look Back in Anger: The Black Monk of Pontefract by Andy Evans. He's a local author who grew up with the story and was allowed to investigate the house after the film had been made. I thought it was an interesting read.
  13. Sie

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

I am sure I remember seeing this too but I remembered Anne Diamond and not Gloria Hunniford and after a quick google, I think that's right as the story shows up in a couple of online articles: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2004556/Anne-Diamond-The-ghost-tried-sell-house.html
Back