• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

given how easy going i am usually, laugh about it and go for a beer with him. BoB
  2. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

He's Back. A few years ago, i posted up this: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 185#390185 well, he is back. I now have a son, aged 3, and i have got to know a lot of the parents around my neighbourhood ( Highbury, in north london ). Well, I was chatting to a couple of...
  3. B

Strange periods of Extreme lucidity.

Has anyone ever had moments where 'everything comes together' and for at least a few moments, you are able to think incredibly clearly and accurately in comparison to your normal level of ability? I have had a couple of times like this over the years, where things that would normally take a...
  4. B

Here It Comes, The Sounds Of Drums

sounds like someone encountered Pan!
  5. B

What Drew You to Forteana?

For me it would be just having been a bit of an 'outsider' as a child and being intrigued by things that were 'on the outside' - known, but not explained. I am otherwise a very logical and analytical type, but anomalous data always intrigues me - because something must have caused it. Also...
  6. B

Rainbow

The Twangers episode was a joke done by the crew. I worked with a TV Editor who was in on the gag. Apparently a lot of the childrens shows have gag reels like this.
  7. B

Does Magick Work?

i accept that most of the time the fine details about how the world works arent that interesting, but knowing that they have been understood, that if you wanted to know you could find out is interesting to me. I find situations where the only explanation for something is 'just because' very...
  8. B

Does Magick Work?

i can never understand why some people enjoy 'not knowing'. For me, the enjoyment is in understanding the world.
  9. B

Does Magick Work?

sounds to me more psychological than supernatural. Sounds like the guy is being dishonest with himself and others - that would produce the apparent ' bad luck' he has gone through. The good luck is probably as a result of the reverse. being honest with yourself and others tends to mean you work...
  10. B

Scepticism vs. Credulity

try this for a point of view: things happen. they have an explanation. we just might not be aware of it. It is most probable that events have an explanation that fits within our fairly good physical definition of how the world works. It is less probable that their explanation is based upon...
  11. B

Weird, Stupid & Illogical Laws

i think there is a big difference between someone who smells a it garlicky and someone who is dragging around their own personal noxious cloud ( many students i have associated with seem to fulfil this definition - i find the easiest way to get them to clean up is to tell them that no-one will...
  12. B

What Would You Like To Happen To You?

i would like to see anything fortean that is proveable. Its frustrating to have an interest in things that the more you examine them, the less validity they seem to have!?!
  13. B

Two telephone tings ... is it just me ?!?!

dang... found out
  14. B

Two telephone tings ... is it just me ?!?!

sounds like you have a poor quality line and old equipment at the local exchange. occasionally a short at the exchange will send a weak signal down the ring pair of your phone line. its probably some old equipment at the exchange restarting. I have come across similar all over the country. it...
  15. B

Earth's Magnetic Pole Reversals / 'Flips'

an article by 'mary sue haliburton' ? ! a made up joke name if ever i heard one!
  16. B

Was I a South African Missionary ?

interesting site. but i always get a little sceptical when a high proportion of the posters seem to have been 'authority figures' or powerful individuals in a past life. my experience could fit in to that category as well, i know. I am more than willing to admit it might be just my...
  17. B

Was I a South African Missionary ?

Something very peculiar happened a few nights ago. i had a 'waking dream' in which i was in front of a large wooden building on a hill top on what i knew was the plains of africa - i could see herds of animals in the distance in front of the building and behind the building was a view of a river...
  18. B

Does Magick Work?

i think an analogy that works for me for what is being discussed here is a computer one : What is actually happening ( the underlying real physics ) is equivalent of machine code. Science is a programming language. Magic is a pretty front-end. its own internal logic might not mesh...
  19. B

Does Magick Work?

first rule of discussion... dont try to have a logical discussion with a believer - of any kind. ( steps back to avoid the flame ) ...if i ever win the lottery, i plan to go to the top of a mountain wearing copper armour in a thunderstorm and shout 'all gods are b@stards!...
  20. B

Does Magick Work?

Hear Hear!! marvellous response Dr X.
  21. B

Does Magick Work?

its always worth keeping your eyes out for new evidence. its the anomalies that are best for seeing what is really going on behind the scenes. too many scientists work on the idea of coming up with theories that explain the majority of situations, and ignore the anomalies. My way of dealing...
  22. B

Does Magick Work?

in response to jerryb - the point is, to accept that what we percieve is evidence ( biased, subjective evidence from a limited point of experience i accept ) and to make judgements on only those things we can percieve. anything we cannot percieve is by definition unknowable and therefore we...
  23. B

Does Magick Work?

i am not attempting to debunk. I just simply wish people would build their view of the world on real evidence, and admit there are areas that they dont understand, and to have no opinion of those areas until evidence becomes apparent. It appears to be a trait of the human mind to attempt...
  24. B

Does Magick Work?

show evidence that the statement that the mind is just electrochemical.... please. Otherwise any other statement is simply a belief. Show evidence that distance is an illusion? Show evidence of anything that is not otherwise explained in terms of matter and energy working in their usual...
  25. B

Does Magick Work?

i agree, but mind is a function of reality, not an equal to it. mind exists because of particular electrochemical structures in the human nervous system, nothing more... no distance? someones been playing White Wolfs MAGE game... That has a concept called the point of correspondence - that...
  26. B

Does Magick Work?

erm, no, its just confidence and focus... nothing supernatural there. if you believe something will happen you will attempt, either conciously or subconciously to make it happen and take advantage of opportunities... a 'spell' to give you good luck is simply being positive about the world around...
  27. B

The X-Prize

new Prize! http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/bigelow_spaceprize_040927.html
  28. B

Does Magick Work?

repeat to self... i will not feed the troll... i will not feed the troll...
  29. B

Does Magick Work?

Marvellous response Dr X. Glad to see that there are some clear thinking folks on this forum.
  30. B

Does Magick Work?

personal impression of magic(k) It's interesting to see the various arguments regarding the existence and reality of magic. My personal opinion though is that it doesn't exist. In the same way that science doesn't exist. The human mind has a need to explain what goes on around them. before...
  31. B

Time Travel: Scientific Plausibility / Theories / Research

I agree wholeheartedly. Well, I'm off now. ta ta for now.
  32. B

well, i think this discussion has come to a natural end, unless anyone else feels like adding something. continuing this discussion drifts further and further off topic, and in to the areas of concepts of multidimensional physics, and pure maths. to keep on topic we would need to tie this all...
  33. B

as ever, terminology is woefully inefficent at describing these concepts. They are alternatives from the point of reference of a subjective, limited perception observer within them. The true objective observer ( an impossibility given the definitions given ) would not see them as such...
  34. B

okay. i think we are working on different sets of definitions here. yes, there can be a steady state 'universe' in which all possible changes lie and that there is no transfer of causality between any part of them other than the point of perception. This would be the 'metaverse' to my definition...
  35. B

so, if you are working on an 'eternal present' hypothesis, no change could ever be transferred from the past to the present, as change would imply causality, and causality implies a flow of time. If this were the case then it would mean that the multiple universe hypothesis would need to be...
  36. B

Re: No Later i agree, but there is a cause-effect causal sequence, and if you change an event at one location in space-time, that change has influences on other objects in space-time, and those influences will cascade through space-time in all directions - all three ( or 10 if you accept...
  37. B

changes in timeline hmmm.. a flood of changes would not be any different to a non-time-travelling observer as they are IN the timeline, and thus each change has 'always' been the case to them. The only person who could perceive the flood of changes would be an outside observer capable of...
  38. B

a no-paradox method. If we work on the basis that changes in causality from a time traveller to the past travel through time at the same rate we do, then the changes will never catch up if the time traveller returns to his original time. for example : the grandfather paradox 1. Time...
  39. B

Spring-Heeled Jack, East-End Disappearances & Other Mysterious Characters

There is a Green Dragon court, which is a tiny little cut through alley near london bridge...
  40. B

Presence

one way i have found to get rid of 'creepy shadows' like this is to imagine you are emitting a bright cool calm light which makes them fade away...
  41. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

the people i saw were VERY similar to me - the chances of someone looking similar to me ( i am not originally from the area and dont have family near there, so its unlikely to be long lost relatives who look like me - also, i have a scar on my right cheek and my eyes have obvious epicanthic...
  42. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

its an interesting idea, but as it didnt happen that way, still just an idea.
  43. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

its an interesting idea, but as it didnt happen that way, still just an idea.
  44. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

Accurate information rereading my original post, it does look just like an urban legend - no real specifics. So here they are, as much as i can give. the first situation happened in march-april ( not sure exactly when ) of 1992. The second about the same time of year in 1995. It...
  45. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

interesting story. The guy/s i saw were definitely solid and real. It's had me wondering what would have happened if i had actually crossed the road and said hello...
  46. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

the first time i fobbed it off as just a coincidence. i didnt really think about it until the second time. for why i looked, i just 'noticed' him... no real reason - both times.
  47. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

it was a complete surprise. the first time i just thought it was an odd coincidence. after the second time i still think it could be just a big coincidence - but thats really wild odds of that happening.
  48. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

filling in details Both times it was mid-morning. very similar days in general. same time of year ( mid spring )
  49. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

I wish it were I wish it was an urban myth. I am a hardcore sceptic most of the time but this just creeped me out. If it weren't for that i would be a complete scientific atheist. Instead, it has made me more of a fortean ( that there are things happening we dont understand...yet )
  50. B

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

Meeting yourself This is my first post on here : but its an interesting one. near my home is a park. About 8-9 years ago, i was walking along one side of the street that runs beside it. as i did, i noticed someone walking the opposite way down the other side of the street who looked a lot...
Back