• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. marhawkman

Star Trek

my issue is... some of the characters are totally unbelievable. I get having someone who's been marooned for weeks or months being a bit weird, but some of them STARTED that way as academy graduates. Also some of the plot points over-indulge in the "space magic" aspects.
  2. marhawkman

The Voynich Manuscript

i wonder if the plants are actually about nutrition and herbal medicine?
  3. marhawkman

The Voynich Manuscript

hmmm I vaguely remember having heard this speculated before
  4. marhawkman

Local & Dialect Words

You know when I was a child I was amazed at what my grandma had to say about what she remembered from slang from when she was a child.
  5. marhawkman

Local & Dialect Words

now I have to wonder how/why that character is a mascot.
  6. marhawkman

Local & Dialect Words

I mean.... I can take a photo of a Mulberry Tree if you want :D
  7. marhawkman

Local & Dialect Words

this is one of those where you realize several usages existed simultaneously... and then wonder which was first....
  8. marhawkman

The Yuba County Five: 'An American Dyatlov Pass' Incident (1978)

See, if Gary was dead that'd explain why they ran off in a panic into the woods. It might also explain why they were there at all. they drove onto a back road hoping to lose their pursuers? But got sorta stuck, and the guys chasing them caught up. Hmm... really makes you wonder. One thing...
  9. marhawkman

The Yuba County Five: 'An American Dyatlov Pass' Incident (1978)

Saw a few youtube docus and... looks like the "standard" story that people usually retell is probably a cover story the local cops made up to try and hide something. One guess is that it was a drug related incident, but in the sense that drug dealers wanted them dead. Dead men tell no tales...
  10. marhawkman

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

it takes a LOT of practice to get right. my grandpa used to and he'd get really irritated if you bothered him while he was doing it. But if you do it every day then it works.
  11. marhawkman

yeah, heard it's REALLY hard to get a proper shave with a straight razor by doing it yourself.
  12. marhawkman

yeah, that's the REALLY hard one, names of a specific species. 'cause loans... might re-use a name for a different species. Like the word "corn" the modern usage is NOT what it used to mean... not even close. o-o'
  13. marhawkman

It is a good point that all words have an origin... it's just most are lost to time. It's one of the most fascinating, yet frustrating aspects of linguistics.
  14. marhawkman

yeah, this guy was someone who mixed languages probably intentionally,
  15. marhawkman

as a kid the idea of "lost civilizations" intrigued me... but mostly because I didn't get it... nowadays I'm like O-o'''' because I realized just how many true lost civilizations there really are. Peoples we will NOT identify in this life because that is beyond Human ability. Sometimes dead...
  16. marhawkman

this is one of those things where I have to question if everyone who can (in some way) pull tricks like that is using the same method, and if not might have different limitations. Like seeing where a familiar object is, or a specific location. Or simply watching something on TV.
  17. marhawkman

Yeah, vague enough predictions can be... kind of inevitable. "positive fortune will come your way" sort of stuff.... um... sure... But parapsychology doesn't work with such concrete factors that you can genuinely say distance is ruled out. HOW does someone know what the top card is? that...
  18. marhawkman

Star Trek

Yeah but.... AFTER having androids like Andrea just... wandering around the galaxy. And yeah... an android just vaporized another android. that was an android duplicate of Kirk. I get not wanting walking toasters... which we did get in Voyager, but TOS had more than one ep with proper...
  19. marhawkman

Star Trek

I'lll be honest... I don't give a --- about Soong-type androids. TOS established MULTIPLE types of androids and even had the ability to make android duplicates of real people who worked just fine. TNG trying to talk up Soong's work as revolutionary felt flat from day 1 and I've never really...
  20. marhawkman

there's a huge diff between TV bigfoot hunters and serious cryptozoologists. The serious ones are less sensational, and less likely to say they found something too... and get less funding.
  21. marhawkman

Well, I used to favor the idea that it was Santorini. But recently I saw a rather compelling argument in favor of a salt-flat in western Africa. At first it's like "why there"? But one... WHO named that mountain range the Atlas mountains? GREEKS. So the location fits far better than one...
  22. marhawkman

Fortean Headlines

which state is that? oh, Indiana. ok.
  23. marhawkman

Fortean Headlines

but, does it count as wildlife if it's not found in nature?
  24. marhawkman

Fortean Headlines

It's like he didn't want to leave....
  25. marhawkman

Forteana & Weirdness On YouTube

heard of it. people are really into creepy idiocy.
  26. marhawkman

Easter Island / Rapa Nui

I mean, one of the most popular theories about why there was two distinct cultural groups is that one of them was Native Americans. If true... then it makes sense they'd have trade.
  27. marhawkman

Space Tourism

yeah that sounds about right.
  28. marhawkman

Space Tourism

logically it make sense. BUT... can't confirm.
  29. marhawkman

Forteana & Weirdness On YouTube

Here, the video descriptions with repastign the links to make sure I get them right. "Shed 17" They were the stories that have charmed an entire generation. From the books, to the television series, people around the world have grown up with the Railway Stories. But the truth behind Thomas...
  30. marhawkman

Godzilla Movies

I love how the Godzilla team brought the star with them to the show :D
  31. marhawkman

Great Acts Of Stupidity

hmmm.. original source is Nederlander. I suspect autotranslate error.
  32. marhawkman

To The Stars Academy Of Arts & Sciences Claims 'Exotic UFO Material' [Blink-182]

reminds of this old, and rather insane idea that some ethnicities are pure and some contaminated by aliens.... With of course the most readily obvious skin color.... One version is that the "Nordic" aliens.... are secretly trying to take over by making the human race susceptible to their mind...
  33. marhawkman

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

I suspect some regions might have had a bit too much pressure to get their numbers up of vaccinated people? hard to say for sure. It gets weirder when you see there is actual forged paperwork apparently..
  34. marhawkman

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

well that's part of the logic for banning hormone filled livestock feed.... humans eating it end up with some of it.... and certain hormones cause heart problems
  35. marhawkman

Godzilla Movies

the bottom line is seemingly that Hollywood wastes most of it's budgets.
  36. marhawkman

Star Wars

tortillas? need a bit more trimming...
  37. marhawkman

Historic UFO Encounters: Newspaper / Magazine Articles

that feels like one of those tall tales that grows over time... how much is true or false modern hearers cannot sy, as they haven't heard the original version of the story.
  38. marhawkman

Things That Are NOT UFOs

hmmm so how much of his story is verifiable?
  39. marhawkman

Easter Island / Rapa Nui

Hunh? Who actually took that idea seriously? I don't remember hearing anyone actually try to make a serious case of it. Especially since if you count the characters in the examples of text we have there's too many to be an alphabet. Now arguing they're derived from Central American glyphs...
  40. marhawkman

Underwater Ghosts

one bell example is suspected to have been the actual bell ringing for real, but one of the reservoir lakes in the US has such rumors.
  41. marhawkman

Star Trek

hmm... yes and no... it was an aspect of Klingons but not that specific before.
  42. marhawkman

Amelia Earhart

Exuma Cays might be similar enough. https://www.swimmingwithpigs.com/destination/exuma-plane-wreck/
  43. marhawkman

Conspiracy Theories & Democracy

Or perhaps notice things others would ignore......
  44. marhawkman

Conspiracy Theories & Democracy

As one analogy put it, knowing that your neighbor has a blue car doesn't tell you what color his kitchen table is. But knowing that he has a car... means it's easy to believe someone who told you they saw him buy motor oil. You can't be certain it's true. But it's plausible, and you don't have...
  45. marhawkman

Amelia Earhart

yeah there was never any good evidence for the Japanese angel, and the tiny bit people came up with was fake. Anyways here's one where the conclusion was that Amelia just overshot her target and ditched due to running out of fuel: knowing that her RDF didn't work, and that Noonan's astro-nav...
  46. marhawkman

Amelia Earhart

One of the more compelling theories is that Earhart actually went down quite close to the ship she was radioing, but sank too fast for any searchers to find anything.
  47. marhawkman

Kelly / Hopkinsville (Kentucky) 'Goblins' Incident (1955)

Yeah, that does seem like a likely possibility. You hit on what I mentioned earlier: one of the most salient details is that despite there being multiple "witnesses" to the event, there are very few descriptions as most of the so-called witnesses were actually too busy hiding from the monsters...
  48. marhawkman

This is unfortunate, but true. There exists a "right" answer to the question of what happened, but we're not gonna find it with the evidence we have. We can move in that direction, but not quite get there...
  49. marhawkman

the aspect of the case that redefined my understanding of it is when I realized just how few of the several people involved actually claimed to have seen one of the intruders. That... really changed things.
Back