• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. N

Puzzling Proverbs

I was digging through my books this morning, and I rediscovered one with plenty of superstitions and proverbs. A couple of the 'verbs were pretty farfetched and weird: - Giving advice to a stupid man is like giving salt to a squirrel. - from Turkey: Call the bear 'Uncle' till...
  2. N

What'll Happen Then? (If There Were No More Mysteries)

What happens when there aren't any more Fortean subjects? What if all of the ghost stories are bland and stereotypical (debunked, perhaps); UFOs are forgotten, and the entire selection of human curiosity has been documented and explained. Yeah, it won't happen for a while, but when it does...
  3. N

Flying Off The Handle

Okay. Where'd the saying "Don't go flying off the handle!" come from? (For anyone who doesn't understand why this topic should be in Esoterica, it MIGHT pertain to broomsticks - they have handles, and witches are said to use them as flying steeds.)
  4. N

P'inty Headed Ghosts

Well, For some reason the Notes & Queries thread isn't showing up on my list-thingo. So, into Gen Fort this goes. Stereotypical ghosts: Why do they have pointy heads? I always thought it was like a nightgown's cap--at least, an old fashioned one--and the spirit died in his/her sleep...
  5. N

Name that song

What WAS That Song... I remember, when I was reeeaaalllyyy small, my father turned on the radio, around that "dusk" time, and the most distrubing song EVER poured out. It was, clearly, supposed to be this cartoon-ish thingo, but it was scary as hell. Some lyrics that I remember before I...
  6. N

Levitation

I was reading through a book this morning, The Weird 100 by Stephen Spegnisi (spelling?) and my eye caught on the Levitation article. Stephen referenced something called the Balducci levitation trick, and I found a link here. I've seen that trick done twice by a good friend of mine, and...
  7. N

Light and Emotion

Anyone know why the amount of light in a room affects one's mood? In the hours before the sun goes down, but when the atmosphere around you is somber and sleepy (Do they call that twilight..?) I sometimes find that I have minor anxiety attacks, and that my mood becomes somewhat depressive...
  8. N

Mind-Affecting Music

Anyone heard of a case of hypnotism in popular music? Of the 'play your records backward' UL for some bands? Know of a song that (supposedly) portrays a secret message? I'd love to hear about 'em. Nick
  9. N

Die Over Spilt Milk?

Finally! I can post on the boards... Well. First timer here, but let's see what I can do-- About thirteen years ago, my mother had a baby. She named it Chad, and; tragically, He died no more than a few months after his death. Wanting to be burried with her first son, my mother had him...
Back