• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

A Sense Of Belonging... Somewhere Else

This isn't the same as the OP, but possibly related in some way, and definitely related to what others are posting. I used to feel like I didn't belong anywhere, though my depression may have had something to do with that. I grew up in rural SE Michigan (in a small town that's now become an...
  2. D

Ottawa Still Using Divining Rods To Locate Water

I'm only marginally familiar with water-witching, and have certainly never tried it, so excuse the dumb question: Could it be that the diviner is picking up on cues that would be available to him or her even without the rods?
  3. D

Oh, The Irony

Actually, that happens enough that many of us expect it of most of these anti-LGBT politicians and church "leaders." If they'd all just come out of the closet the world would be a much better place.
  4. D

About The Dog...

Me too! I thought that was just down to my having been raised Pentecostal.
  5. D

Burglary Coincidence

When I was a teenager, I had a surgery with a short hospital stay. A friend of mine & my sister's was staying over at my family's house that night, but I wasn't there. She had a nightmare that someone broke in our house, tied them up and locked them in the closet or something like that. Anyway...
  6. D

Mischief Night / Devil's Night Vs Halloween

Here in Detroit we have something similar: Devil's Night on the night before Halloween (Hallowe'en e'en?). It's not as much of a thing anymore, thankfully, because it's a bit more than mere mischief. The main thing was arson - burning vacant houses and other buildings, especially. In the late...
  7. D

Unlocking A Mystery (Vanishing Keys)

Especially since, if it had lodged somewhere on her clothing/shoes or even on/in a bag, that might have been lower to the ground than however she tested dropping it where it was found - the noise then wouldn't have been as loud and she might not have heard it. Also, her attention may have been...
  8. D

Only In Real Life!

I once tripped over Desmond Tutu. OK, it was his cope, and in my defense, his cope is WAY too long. He had a good sense of humor about it, as you'd expect.
  9. D

Oh, The Irony

:banghead:
  10. D

Picture Proves Jesus Was A Time-Traveller

Couple things here (from an Episcopalian church geek): 1. The painting in the OP is itself technically heretical :p - Christians aren't supposed to depict God the Father or God the Spirit except symbolically. (God the Son can be depicted as a human, since he became one and remains one, in...
  11. D

Pareidolia

...as if anyone knows what he looked like, too! (Although it's possible traditional Orthodox icons preserve some of his features, and those of his mother; but icons also are painted with a reverse perspective - again, traditionally - and other symbolic details so they're not exactly a...
  12. D

Wiped From The Face Of The Earth

I would think that if someone altered the past, all of our pasts would be altered. The lives we've lived now would be replaced by a different timeline. E.g., say someone from today went back to when I was 3 and killed a family member of mine. Well, I'd grow up with that family member dead...
  13. D

Phantom Appointments In My Diary

I'm no expert either, but I disagree. The m's are quite different (Saturday's entry begins with a down stroke; Friday's does not; Friday's also contains an n which is written without a downstroke), and the t's are different - on the Friday entry, the horizontal stroke is only to the right of the...
  14. D

These Roads Lead... Where?

I agree - or maybe a host could do it for him? I'm really enjoying this story and look forward to further installments!
  15. D

Phone Calls From A Frightened Little Girl

I have no evidence, but I suspect prank calls are less common now, for 2 reasons I can think of: first, caller ID sorta spoils it all, and second, most kids now have a lot more things to do before they get bored enough to think, "I know, phone up a stranger!" But who knows. I don't think it was...
  16. D

Phone Calls From A Frightened Little Girl

Re: Phone calls from a scared little girl -anyone remember t Anyone else think, "Are you my mummy?"
  17. D

Odd Experiences: As A Child Versus As An Adult

All the more reason not to talk about it except to someone he can trust! I would assume. And I think you're right, that the way our brains work is by sorting our experiences according to what's useful. I wonder if any of the untold, even forgotten stories are winding up re-told in strange or...
  18. D

Odd Experiences: As A Child Versus As An Adult

A scientist had better hope we haven't explained everything! Otherwise, they'd be out of a job! :wink:
  19. D

Dream church?

No matter what, that's a really cool dream. I'll bet in the future you'll always take pictures! :D It's entirely possible your brain put something together based on multiple experiences, but also that it was replaying a memory. Personally, if I'd witnessed a pre-demolition scrapping of a...
  20. D

Hypnapompia or Rumblings of a Ghost Dog etc

Those experiences always terrify me! Even though I know what they are as soon as they're over. I've had them a lot in my lifetime.
  21. D

Vardogers: False / Premature Arrivals (IHTM)

I could probably post this to just about any thread on this board, but just to throw it into the mix: http://www.cracked.com/article/199_5-horrific-ways-your-brain-can-turn-you-without-warning_p2/ That's page 2 of the article. The bit I'm referring to is near the end - #1 on the list. The...
  22. D

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

It's of course more complex than that. People forget that the city's boom was faster than its decline. It exploded artificially, thanks to the good wages you could make in auto factories, but pretty soon the auto companies decided they needed single-story factories, and, at the time, there...
  23. D

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

My hometown. :( Nice pics, though. There's one with a red polka dot painted on the door. Those polka dots originated with the Heidelberg Project, although I don't know if Mr. Guyton painted any of them himself or whether admirers did. In the late 90s, they were popping up on abandoned...
  24. D

What On Earth Is THAT?

And that carpeting!
  25. D

Saved From Harm

This was my thought, too. So many times we change our minds about our plans, or miss trains, planes, or buses, but if nothing significant happens, we forget it or feel annoyed by it. But who knows. If there really is data suggesting that planes, trains, ships, or whatever, that met with disaster...
  26. D

Saved From Harm

Did he ask his wife and/or daughter if they also experienced the second jump?
  27. D

The Place with no History

Congratulations! You've just made the first folktale. :shock:
  28. D

Light Bulbs Unscrewing Themselves

I was unfamiliar with what a bayonet fitting was, so I googled it. For anyone else like me who hadn't heard the term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonet_mount
  29. D

odd picture

Thanks for that! It helps - I was having trouble seeing the cloning. I can definitely see why you might want to Photoshop that parasol out of the photo, since it really does distract ("What is that?"). Maybe it was missed in the other photo, or maybe it was just Photoshopped out of the photo...
  30. D

Fortean, But Not Really Fortean: A Blue Bell Hill Tale

Still, that was some quick work they did, disassembling a building and leaving no trace within 5 months!
  31. D

Disembodied voice - A lovely little mystery

Had you been alone, I would have assumed your mind, maternally tuned in to your child's voice, had misinterpreted some other noise (especially since there weren't distinct words). But your mother hearing it too and having the exact same reaction is harder to interpret that way, I think.
  32. D

Kempston Barracks ghost

That bit about the all-night pacing is really creepy! I can't imagine what I might have done in your dad's place. :shock: Especially if it was the same ghost as the other incident - who would want to see him?!
  33. D

Coincidental Christmas necklace?

That's really cool. I forgot that my sister now often calls me around when I've been thinking of calling her. Mostly our "psychic bond" (whatever that is) is gone. I know an elderly lady who lived with her sister until her sister died. She told me once of being woken up by her sister...
  34. D

Psychogeographical Urbex Fire Synchronicity [PHOTOS]

I'm just glad you weren't in it when it caught fire. I do, however, very much encourage urbex. Especially when much of the exploration is done through the lens of a camera!
  35. D

odd picture

I'm really not seeing any cloning or obvious smudging. If you look at the image with the anomaly, the leaves behind it are dark just as in the other photo. And that dark patch really doesn't match the others like it in the photo. Someone will have to really point this out to me if I'm just...
  36. D

odd picture

Actually, if you look closely in the top, the object appears to be behind the man's head, the rightmost part of it emerging just a little bit. But its position doesn't seem the same. In the bottom photo, if you look downwards from the strange object in question, there's something - maybe a...
  37. D

odd picture

Yeah, I thought maybe a frustrated drummer was just outside the frame. :lol:
  38. D

A powerful dream

I'm not a dream interpreter or anything like that, just a fellow dreamer who sometimes thinks about it too. My own opinion is that the bizarre imagery in dreams is the mind defragging its hard drive; what matters most in a dream is the emotions/feelings, and any personal associations you...
  39. D

odd picture

I'm no expert, but I can perceive a slight change in angle and/or zoom. Look at the far edge of the grass on the LH side - in the bottom photo, there's some yellow object and what looks like a ladder (?) and in the upper photo, that object is mostly cropped out. Also, in the bottom photo, the...
  40. D

Psychogeographical Urbex Fire Synchronicity [PHOTOS]

Where I'm from (Detroit), nothing about this would be Fortean at all. I was in a bar in San Francisco a couple years ago and had the opportunity to demonstrate my "Detroit super-power." We could see, reflected in the window of a shop across the street, a fire blazing a little ways down...
  41. D

Serious Weirdness: The Godhead

As someone posted early on, "Godhead" is a technical term (it actually means "Godhood"), but it's not how one would translate "Trinité" - that would be Trinity. I suspect there's no French equivalent. You'd probably just translate "Godhead" into French as "Dieu" or "La Divinité," I would think...
  42. D

Coincidental Christmas necklace?

I have a sister who's a year & a half older than me, and when we were actually living in the same house (and a little bit after, through college), we seemed to have this weird way of knowing what the other was thinking, so we didn't really have to get specific. Example 1: During high school...
  43. D

little piles of white powder

Haha! That was my first thought too on seeing the thread title!
  44. D

Last Exit To Tal Y Bont

So it was the road you took that disappeared? :shock: Where did it come out? If it was an alternate route for the right-turn, do both lead to roughly the same place? Can you try looking for it on that end?
  45. D

Realistic Dreams

That happened to me once as a teenager when I took an overdose of pills to get to sleep (to try to escape my depression). In the dream, I was lying on the bed I was actually lying on, but my arms and legs were floating parallel to the bed (as if disjointed somehow - I could feel this, but not...
  46. D

Realistic Dreams

I know it's not what you meant, but the way you've worded this suggests that alien abductions are probably the explanation for sleep paralysis! :P I mostly had the dreams where I "woke up" and started going through my daily routine when I was a teenager. I was always mad when I woke up to...
  47. D

Invisible Smoker

It would also be interesting to know if the OP knows "mouth smokers" - or if that historical bit would have been unknown to him. I know I've seen plenty of images of factory workers in the early 20th century working with cigarettes in their mouths (these would be in Detroit, where I'm from).
  48. D

Blue Man

Ah, but which way does the causation go? They might have picked him for the job 'cause he was already blue! :wink:
  49. D

Primarily tactile encounter with an unknown entity

I'm curious - at what point did you wake up from the dream? Was there any disjunction (e.g., the dream ended with you at your bedroom door but you were lying in bed when you woke up)? And I wasn't clear about whether your thought directed to the entity happened in the dream or after you woke...
  50. D

Nightmare Of Eternal Descent

Why does it have to be either/or? Rather, why would you call it "just" an amazing dream? It sounds downright amazing to me! It could be a source of insight just like any experience you've ever had. Why not?
Back