• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. C

Machine Men

mmmm... not quite the difference is that a Hoax is designed to fool people, "interactive fiction" or "alternate reality games" are designed to entertain (and sometimes, but not always, to promote a product) last year i participated in a large ARG called ilovebees, which was designed to...
  2. C

The Horror Of Open Fields (Panic Induced In Open Spaces)

i don't think you're taking it an another direction at all. :) there's a strange sort of line between scared and awestruck that you stand on when you're out on a moonlit night. sometimes you can go either way
  3. C

The Horror Of Open Fields (Panic Induced In Open Spaces)

adjacent to my university was a wooded area with a stream and a golf course. we used to wander the both in the middle of the night, and a few times i had these same feelings out on the golf course, overwhelmed by the stillness and the vastness of it all, on a moonlit night without a flashlight...
  4. C

Colony Of Peculiar People

hmmm, a tribe of yellow skinned factory workers with virtually no contact with the outside world........ MY GOD! They were Oompa-Loompas!!!!!
  5. C

Misperceptions

a few years ago i was in my first apartment. after living with my parents my entire life, i had a hard time sleeping if i knew that my roommate was away and i was "alone" at night. i was awoken one night to a loud ripping or tearing sound, i awoke with a start and saw several glowing bands of...
  6. C

Smurf Acid

Here in the U.S. about 15 years ago, a UL about acid tabs disguised as rub-on tattoos with Mickey Mouse and other characters went around the country. I remember taking home information sheets from school to give to my parents about this new menace. It was all just a big scare though...
  7. C

A Weird Test In School (UK, 1981)

i remember doing this too, it was the popular gym teacher who ran in wearing outlandish clothes. but after we answered, he came back in to show us reality vs. perception... it actually made sense at the time.
  8. C

Plugging a Gun???

anyone see what happens to Benicio Del Toro in Sin City when someone does this? (albeit not with a finger) don't know how realistic it was, but it sure was funny!
  9. C

Duck Talk

um, someone watching a Donal Duck cartoon nearby?
  10. C

Everything Seems Wrong

reminds me of "The Belonging Kind" by William Gibson a sub race of humans evolve that subsist on alcohol and can change their appearence to fit into whatever crowd they're a part of... but they don't really have minds anymore, just zombie actions imitating real people; i.e. they have...
  11. C

Phone Dials By Itself

static electricty? once when i was dialing a phone, the air was very dry and i was hitting the keys quite fast. the first few numbers produced minor shocks, but by the 4th button press, a large blue spark engulfed the keypad and the end of my finger (yes, it hurt) after i yanked my finger away...
  12. C

Fairly Inexplicable Phone Call

last year i participated in an 'Alternate Reality Game' called "I Love Bees" wherein a half-insane fragmented Artificial Intelligence from the future was trapped on a web server in the present. As the game progressed she started calling payphones around the U.S. and playing audio clips of...
  13. C

Gathering Of Cats

We were taking pics for the blog one day, Cara Belle, the alpha-cat, was lounging on her scratch-tower lazily. As soon as the camera came out, she stood upright and watched, when aimed at her, she looked off whistfully at the cieling <snap> she layed down on her back and faced the camera <snap>...
  14. C

Body Integrity Dysphoria / Body Integrity Identity Disorder

i've read about this... portalofevil.com used to link to a lot crazy people with this fetish, many of them wanted prosthesis in place of their normal healthy limbs. i remember one woman's site where she would repeat the same bit about the steel hooks she wanted over and over again. now...
  15. C

Gathering Of Cats

i have learned to appreciate cats so much more in the last 9 months of my life. did you know that you can teach a cat to play fetch? (its not that easy, but it can be done) my fiance's old cat used to call her name when she was a kid. no seriously. her name is Michelle, and her mother used to...
  16. C

It's Raining Men: Corpse & Body Part Falls

ya know.... if i had a catapult, a group of gullible people, and a mannequin lying around............................
  17. C

Looney Tunes To Be "Reimagined"

the pink thing is a version of Lola Bunny from the marketing exerci- i mean.... "film", Space Jam starring Michael Jordan. She was yellow in the movie though. (i worked in the video section of a department store when it came to vhs in the late 90's, i must have seen it about 100 times.) the...
  18. C

Gathering Of Cats

there was a society of strays in our neighborhood until they were rounded up and taken to the Humane Shelter. The leader was a large long haired golden male, very friendly and brave, he'd come up to you and 'demand' to be petted. One night we left our door open with only the glass screen door...
  19. C

Strange Falls & Rains Of Objects & Substances

i've heard that workers building the empire state building were showered with grain when they got to the top. analyzing it revealed that it was barley seed from the midwest that had been blown over a thousand miles. apparently some species of plants cross polinate over very vast distances. i...
  20. C

[PHOTO]A real ghost on Disney's Haunted Mansion?

this is looking ahead at the train of doombuggies, so we'd see the backs of the cars in front of the camera the pepper's ghost effect is only used in the ballroom scene, but you pass through that large area perpindicular to the scene, so this angle wouldn't be possible, also, the effect is...
  21. C

grrrrrr try following the link in the first post of that discussion maybe?
  22. C

hmmm, odd, try this then http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/50 ... 3_copy.JPG
  23. C

this has been mulled about on a Disney site since early december, but here's a photo that someone took on the Haunted Mansion with a nightshot camera http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showpho ... 2&size=big the discussion and description from the photographer is here...
  24. C

Black Dogs?

i posted this awhile ago to some other thread, but it never got a response and i think the thread was dead anyway: i was driving back to my apartment relatively late, i'd say about 11:00... the only light on the road was from a brightly lit 24-hour gas station behind me. Beside the road...
  25. C

"That's the beauty of it!"

Yes, but where did the quote come from? That's the beauty of it! It didn't come from anywhere!
  26. C

Creating "Stuart Little"

obligitory: Gee Brain what are we doing tommorow night? The same thing we do every night Pinkie, try to take over the world!
  27. C

St. Francis Keeps Popping Up

i'm not Catholic, but i did some googling apparently there were 2 St. Francis's St Francis of Assissi is the more famous one, his day is October 4 St. Francis Xavier however, was from the Basque region of Spain maybe your dream was just your mind picking up on keywords as you read, and...
  28. C

Portrait friendly spirits

there are a lot of side profile shots too, ghosts walking across rooms or hallways into doors, that sort of thing there we go, that's a definitive way to spot a fake, if the ghost is looking at the camera!
  29. C

The Mirror

yeah, never look into a mirror in a dream, its freaky! i dreamt recently that i was trying to look in a mirror, but the mirror kept turning around, or someone would stand in front of it, or it would be covered, but i was determined to look into it. when i finally did, my face was just a flesh...
  30. C

Celebrity Deaths: Frequency / Clustering

on Fark.com they call this: "the trifecta" when Johnny Carson passed, i expected two more celebs to die within a week anyone remember when Jim Henson and Sammy Davis Junior died on the same day? that was truly weird (and very sad)
  31. C

The Child Snatcher(s) (Child Abductor Trope / Meme): UL?

I'm reminded of this thread: http://forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4567 perhaps all these abductors are merely tulpas, demons created by our societal subconcious a friend of mine had a very real encounter with creepy-white-van-man a few months ago. she's 28 and lives alone in our...
  32. C

The Psychomanteum (Scrying Environment)

about the completely mirrored room in old Victorian homes, does anyone have any idea what it would be like to have a room large enough to comfortably fit a few people in, but have all four walls, ceiling, and floor completely mirrored? illumination could come from small lights at all 8 corners...
  33. C

The Mirror

have there ever been any reports of reflections being "out-of-synch" with reality? as in, you move, but your reflection waits half of a second before it copies you? the idea popped into my head a few weeks ago and i haven't been able to shake it (or make it happen :( )
  34. C

shooting star or ufo

i once saw the most SPECTACULAR meteor during the Leonids a few years ago. It was bright green and appeared behind us as a thick vapor, when it got nearly straight over head, it exploded in a yellow burst, with a smaller bright white chunk flaking off in the same direction, that got smaller...
  35. C

Railway Ghosts

what is it about trains and ghosts that go so naturally together? is it the romanticism of the rails? were there this many ghost stories surrounding railways before cars and planes became the dominat forms of transportation?
  36. C

Voices Heard Underground Or Coming From Underground

as for the well, obviously the sound is coming from somewhere transmitted through the rocks, perhaps there's some previously unknown property of the rock in this part of Europe, i wonder if it can transmit sound both ways, that would make for one very interesting conversation!
  37. C

Soviets / Russians Drilling Into Hell (Urban Legend)

i've heard the theory that the "sounds from hell" tape is just people at a shopping mall or amusement park with some echo effects. the only reason why its scary is because you think its going to be. the first time i heard the sound late at night on Art Bell, i was a bit freaked, had trouble...
  38. C

"Alice in Wonderland" Syndrome

I have a theory, of course, i'm not a doctor, nor do i play one on tv The human body uses fluid in the inner ear for balance purposes, to tell what's up and what's down and if you're leaning at an angle, that sort of thing. this process might also help the human mind figure out spatial...
  39. C

GallowWalker - previously The Wretched

"The Quick and the Dead" extremely pulp western by Sam Raimi: includes historical anachronisms, superhuman acts of gunslinging, a creepy blind kid, and Gene Hackman as the inredibly evil villian "Herod"; his death scene is not to be missed. one of my favorite guilty pleasures
  40. C

"Alice in Wonderland" Syndrome

This Christmas was the worst holiday ever, at about 10 in the morning i came down with a fever/nausea that continued into the evening. I've never been that sick before in my entire life. At one point, I saw object lift off the dresser, turn into colorfull geometric shapes, and proceed to swirl...
  41. C

Denver International Airport (Weird Features; Conspiracy Claims)

AC, the guy being interviewed, does seem like your typical conspiracy-theory nutjob, but the info itself is interesting, and the owner of the page keeps his sense of humor and paranoia in check i don't really see what the big deal of the murals is, yes, the scenes of violence are horrid, but...
  42. C

Weird Presents / Gag-Worthy Gifts / Terrible Toys

seemed like the best place for this anyone have these toys in the 80's? a friend did, and i remember being terrified of the commercials! yet strangely fascinated by the toys: Rocks & Bugs & Things rocks that would open to reveal hideous faces to devour little gremlin creatures and as...
  43. C

Shades of Death Road

what if its not so much that horrid things happened there, but the fear of things happening instead of SOD swamp projecting these evil intentions, perhaps the early settlers cast all of their fear, doubt, uncertainty, or terror INTO it, and it collected like rain in a jar, growing deeper with...
  44. C

my SO thinks its a scene where a man is asking a woman about why she needs an expensive vase
  45. C

closest thing i can think of: Moltar: Yeah, but.. what's it do? SpaceGhost: *sigh* its symbolic Moltar, things don't always have to do something..... now help me plug it in
  46. C

Hybrid Animals

i've heard that Ligers are HUGE because the gene that tells the body "stop growing now" never gets carried over (or turned on) i've also read that their hunting and killer-instincts are virtually non-existant, they're just gigantic half-ton cuddly house-kitties
  47. C

Teratology: Teratomas & Parasitic Twins (WARNING)

i've seen that same quote/story... but how could a face on the back of your head have eyes, a jaw structure, toungue, etc i think its feasible that the human body could produce a terratomal face on the back of the head, but it would be all skin, the skull just wouldn't support it perhaps he...
  48. C

Coincidences

posted this somewhere else, but it fits better here: In about 1970, my parents were in college. One night their university was having a showing of Night of the Living Dead, which had come out about a year or 2 earlier. My parents walked across campus thinking it was an older, campy horror...
  49. C

Automata / Automatons (Mechanical Figures): General / Historical

Anyone else ever see a silver swan automoton that would "eat" fish and swing its head around? I remember a program from the early 90's that would showcase odd/fascinating places and things and this was on there. People are still fascinated by automotons, only now, they're called...
  50. C

He asked me for a beer

This story is confusing: you're an EMT and you just sat in your vehicle while a severely injured person came up to you? Why didn't you help him? And then someone else gave him a beer? What?!?! Someone showed up at the scene of an accident with a nice cold case of lager to hand out to any...
Back