• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. CALGACUS03

T'Owd Man & Other Caving / Potholing / Spelunking Ghosts

Okay, this I do know about... That's from the Great Lakes - specifically Lake Superior, that famously "Doesn't give up her dead*". The wreck of the SS Kamloops: https://www.paranormalcatalog.net/ghosts/old-whitey-the-haunted-corpse-of-the-ss-kamloops Okay, they're song lyrics, but sometimes...
  2. CALGACUS03

..and, damn, you can't even read that message board because I had to dum the photo down - sorry!
  3. CALGACUS03

Sorry, had a great problem trying to post that from my phone. I've got a few shots of the abanndonned quarry in question too, but re-sizing is a problem.
  4. CALGACUS03

In the glen above where I live is this:
  5. CALGACUS03

Fortean Headlines

From edinburghlive.co.uk here.
  6. CALGACUS03

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

In the Nicola Bulley case it's just been reported on the BBC News at One that apparently there was some vulnerability regarding her that led the police to prioritize their search for her from the start. Just what that vulnerability was has not been revealed.
  7. CALGACUS03

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

Some further details about what happened to Tony Parsons. I had a look and couldn't see any evidence of it already having been posted - apologies if it has. From The Herald Scotland here.
  8. CALGACUS03

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I'm bacckk, sorry; it was the start of a new semester and I had a lot of work to do. Hopefully, I'll be more available agaon soon.
  9. CALGACUS03

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Eerie footage shows inside Glasgow's abandoned Stobhill Hospital Resurfaced footage found online takes viewers inside the old Stobhill Hospital, which served for over 100 years until being left to rot in 2011, and has sat empty ever since. From Glasgowlive.co.uk here.
  10. CALGACUS03

Flatulence, Farts & Farting (General; Miscellaneous)

That is what he's looking for.
  11. CALGACUS03

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

I'm a historian by nature and education (although I don't work in that field). The best history book I've ever read is The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes. I can recommend it unreservedly. I've read it several times and it's description of crime and punishment in 18th/19th century Britain and the...
  12. CALGACUS03

Phantom Hitchhikers & Road Ghosts

Sean Tudor, of course, is a forum member under the name @Hermes. I'm sorry that his website is gone - it was a wonderful resource, not just for the Blue Bell Hill sitings but for road ghosts nation-wide. Hopefully he can get his marvellous material back online sometime soon.
  13. CALGACUS03

The above reminds me of a story local to myself - I'll try to post it over the weekend.
  14. CALGACUS03

Forgotten History

My organ's even smaller than that! :( (Sorry, couldn't resist)
  15. CALGACUS03

Hotel Encounters, Anyone?

Well, please bear in mind that the 21st century Castle does't acknowledge ghosts. By which I mean the staff don't believe.
  16. CALGACUS03

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I stumbled across this account of a purported timeslip in a Mumsnet 'woo' thread here. Personally, I think it sounds a bit too good to be true, but - see what you think...
  17. CALGACUS03

Summer 1984 - a long time ago I'm afraid. The hotel has changed hands at least twice since then. I'd say that there's a general acceptance in town though that The Castle is haunted. BTW, the door that's visible in the photo above is the one that Michelle claimed that the ghost entered through...
  18. CALGACUS03

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

I've found a handful of fishing-related ones on the www.worldseafishing.com forum like this one. It includes this striking story posted by : There are a couple of other threads - if they're any good I'll ETA them here (I actually thought that I posted this yesterday!). Here's another thread...
  19. CALGACUS03

In his book "Haunted Berwick" the author Darren W. Ritson mentions 'The Castle' (as it's known locally) (and yes, it's indeed in Berwick-upon-Tweed) but refers only to The artist L. S. Lowry who habitually stayed there during his annual visits to the town. He doesn't make any claims himself that...
  20. CALGACUS03

Forgotten History

Female pilots finally celebrated for crucial role in Battle of Britain Pioneering female aviators delivered planes wherever they were needed in the second world war – armed with just a notebook From The Guardian here. I particularly liked this bit: I always find it odd that Britain's most...
  21. CALGACUS03

Hi DrPaulLee, I'm curious about the source/s that you used for your excellent website. I, naturally, went straight to the Northumberland pages (where I grew up) and found an entry for the Queens' Head Hotel in Sandgate, Berwick-upon-Tweed. I grew up in the town and that's the first mention that...
  22. CALGACUS03

Dangerous Vanity: Selfie-Related Deaths & Critical Injuries

From The Guardian here: US tourist injured falling into Mount Vesuvius crater after taking selfie Man, 23, was trying to retrieve mobile phone and he and his family now face charges for entering forbidden area
  23. CALGACUS03

Extinct Or Just Missing? Rediscovered Animal Species

Despite the headline I'm not sure that this is suitable for this thread; it's more about the reintroduction from captivity of a species believed extinct in the wild. But anyway, from The Guardian here: Now, if only they could do the same for the Glaucous Macaw. ETA: regarding the above...
  24. CALGACUS03

The Bird-Eating Beast Of Ullswater

From the AnglersMail.co.uk here: Britain’s biggest pike – full story of 53 lb-plus sensation By Angler's Mail published May 15, 2020 A pike scaling 53 lb 2 oz was discovered during UK lockdown at a top fishery. That 53lb one is larger than the biggest rod-caught one which was a 'mere' 46lb...
  25. CALGACUS03

Hunger Stones: Inscribed Stones Indicating Drought Conditions

This is almost completely the opposite of the 'Hunger Stones' that you mentioned - but they are inscribed stones warning future generations about dangers that might otherwise be forgotten. According to the article: "Modern research has shown that without written records, it takes just about...
  26. CALGACUS03

Meet The Corvids: Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws & Others (Misc.)

Saw this article today in The Observer: Queen of the corvids: the scientist fighting to save the world’s brainiest birds A pioneering research laboratory in Cambridge proves that corvids are delightfully clever. Here, its founder reveals what the crow family has taught her – and her heartbreak...
  27. CALGACUS03

Ghost Tales From Everyday People

Not ours at the time I'm afraid. My father did have a Chevette as his 'office car' but I suspect at the time we were on holiday with the Volvo estate. This was at Fearnan on Loch Tay, as far as I recall.
  28. CALGACUS03

I've found a couple - Glen and myself (so many years ago it hurts to think about it (ouch! About 40 :()): Our two dogs at the time; Andy and Glen* in uncharacteristic laid-back mode: * Also known as: the "Gruesome Twosome", the "Terrible Twins" or "Those Bloody Greedy Spaniels!".
  29. CALGACUS03

Sorry, I've just moved into my new house and I've no idea where anything is at the moment. I'll definitely find the family photo albums in one of the many boxes (sometime - if I'm not crushed to death first in a freak hoarder-like accident when one of the teetering piles of crates falls on...
  30. CALGACUS03

Attacks By Seagulls

Well, not attacks by seagulls, but gulls taking a police vehicle out of service.. Under a nest: protected gulls roost on roof of Dorset police car Officers block access to vehicle to keep pair of herring gulls undisturbed Link to Guardian article here.
  31. CALGACUS03

Out Of Place Animals

I'm not sure whether this post deserves its place in this thread - it's not so much this bat being out of place as he doesn't have and, seemingly, has never had any fellows. If there's a more appropriate place for this post I'd be grateful if the mods would move it. A wing and a prayer: is...
  32. CALGACUS03

Aww! That liver and white Springer looks a lot like my old Glen. Now that I have a house of my own a Springer to share it with is definately on the cards. I'll see if I can find a photo to share later.
  33. CALGACUS03

TBF: Protein is protein. :puke2:
  34. CALGACUS03

A Springer is certainly capable of jumping that high if the motivation is great enough. My 'gamekeeper' Springer could (and did) manage to clear a seven foot wall (not without, I admit, a degree of scrabbling). The Saturday afternoon when our entire extended family went out to visit neighbours...
  35. CALGACUS03

Strange Video / Computer / Arcade Games

From the Wikepedia link above: Speaking as a Scotsman, remind me never to wear a kilt whilst visiting Japan! :oops:
  36. CALGACUS03

Gibbets & Gibbeting

Of course, Winter's Gibbet is still there: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.2115999,-2.0617227,3a,75y,152.13h,79.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSl5x3J7JMQC2w1gbXlvQWA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 I dare say that there are still people taking photographs of their friends and family taking the piss there!
  37. CALGACUS03

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

So is that the type of low dollar response that you're looking for in posts?
  38. CALGACUS03

Has to use 'love' emoji rather than 'sad' emoji.
  39. CALGACUS03

And another 'laugh' response never heard.. :chuckle:
  40. CALGACUS03

Now, you see, that would have definately merited a 'laugh' response from me!
  41. CALGACUS03

But why should I have to? If someone posts in the 'Bad Drivers' thread about a drunk driver hitting a house and killing one of the occupants, should I post "that is really sad"? Ooh, or maybe post "Wow! What a dick - I really hope they put him away for a long time". Neither response adds to the...
  42. CALGACUS03

I miss the 'sad', 'wow', etc options. I guess I'll just have to add a post after anything I feel an emotion about (other than 'like' or 'love') saying 'This makes me sad', etc. Just how this will improve 'discussion' on the forum - I'm not too clear on. It would seem to me to just lead to a...
  43. CALGACUS03

Manhole & Manhole Cover Mysteries

In an edition of the BBC gameshow "Would I Lie to You" Gaby Roslin contended that the mystery guest was her friend, who had fallen down a manhole when they were walking together. That led to this contribution by Jack Dee.. btw, it was her friend who fell down a manhole.
  44. CALGACUS03

Rediscovered / Recovered Plant Species (MIA Or Believed Extinct)

Well, it's not an animal but I hope this is a suitable posting (if not, then I'd be grateful if the mods can move it somewhere more appropiate).. From The Guardian here.
  45. CALGACUS03

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

I believe that Savile was explicitly barred from Children in Need by the BBC guy in charge of it. He had heard enough runours about Savile that he didn't want 'Uncle Jimmy' to have any connection/access to it. From the BBC website here.
  46. CALGACUS03

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

The Savile documentary is being heavily advertised on Netflix, and while, on one level, I want to watch it, on another I'm repulsed by the man and can't thole* seeing even photographs of him. I'll probaby force myself to watch it - just to try to understand how he got away with so much for so...
  47. CALGACUS03

Strange Deaths

Got it in one @escargot!
  48. CALGACUS03

Strange Deaths

Sorry, it was just that when I typed it I realised that all the articles I link to seem to be from The Guardian. :(
  49. CALGACUS03

Strange Deaths

Some further info on the 'obby 'oss death in Padstow.. From The Guardian here.
  50. CALGACUS03

Strange Deaths

From (yeah, you guessed it) The Guardian.
Back