• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. G

car alarm oddity

Yesterday I was sitting in the front porch reading, and my car was parked nearby. The key was in the ignition as always but totally switched off. Suddenly, I heard the car alarm beep on, and the car doors lock. I was startled as the only way to activate the alarm is to manually press the alarm...
  2. G

Dreaming of babies

I have a recurrent set of dreams and I'm wondering whether others experience anything similar. Some background about myself might be useful. I'm 34, a high school teacher, had a good family life and successful education. I'm single, independent, not in a hurry to get married and, curiously I...
  3. G

Mothball Sniffing: Oh God...

I've done it, though not to the extent that the girls in the FT news storyhave. But I'm a self confessed lover of mothballs so I usually don't use them in the house. However recently i took up crocheting again, and with all that yarn and wool...well I just had to buy some mothballs to protect...
  4. G

Hotel Encounters, Anyone?

I just read this story over at About.com's paranormal section aand it scared me out of my wits. I have a feeling it's true too. It got me wondering, especially since i'll be going on vacation soon and will stay at a hotel, does anyone have stories of strange encounters at hotels/inns? I've...
  5. G

Fortean Phenomena You First Learnt About from These Forums

There are several fortean phenomena I never knew existed before starting to visit this site. I made a list recently just for fun: 1. Not being English, I had never heard of springheeled jack before. 2. Shadow people. 3. ABCs 4. Stick persons. We have a folklore character here that sounds a...
  6. G

Most disappointing fortean films

Couldn't sleep last night and for some reason this topic occured to my brain. I'm not sure if it fits neatly into any other thread but I trust the mods will do the needful. What are the most disappointing fortean films you have seen? You know, those you eagerly anticipate and then when you...
  7. G

Secret Window

When I first saw this movie starring Johnny Depp I dismissed it outright as a disappointment. Recently though, for want of better entertainment, I watched it again and found that I enjoyed it immensely. I think my initial frustration was because of the way it was promoted - as a spooky horror...
  8. G

Wet blanket mystery

This happened to a friend of mine. After partying at a club with our group recently, my friend and her sister got home around 4am. My friend keeps a blanket on her pillow that she usually just hangs on a rack near her bed before going to sleep, as it's normally too hot for covers anyway. When...
  9. G

Impotent ghosts

Now this may be a crazy idea since I am sick in bed with a cold and drugged up to my eyeballs. But lately i've been thinking. Have there been many cases of ghosts actually causing physical harm to the living? Cause it seems to me that most just rattle around appearing suddenly and making...
  10. G

What Would You Like To Happen To You?

A strange idea popped into my head on the drive home from work. I drive through a 15 minute stretch of country road and quiet woodland before meeting civilization again. Usually the traffic is light and I'm listening to the radio. Today however I left work late and the area was even quieter than...
  11. G

Fortean Books: Suggestions & Recommendations

I've posted this question before in another forum so excuse me if I'm repeating myself, but I would dearly love recommendations of good fortean books/stories. I'm fairly new to forteana but I find it fascinating so far, and I enjoy reading stories of a supernatural/strange slant. I also don't...
  12. G

TV program memory - real or childhood imagination?

I remember a TV program that would come on here in the caribbean at about noontime when I was very young. I would go to my grandmother's house for lunch every day and it would be on the old black and white tele. I vividly remember a scene where a glowing white skeleton was walking through a very...
  13. G

soothed by pain?

Is it extremely unusual to find some kinds of pain pleasurable?I'll try to explain and hope i don't seem like some kind of masochistic freak. :oops: Since childhood, when sometimes I got minor cuts and scrapes, i have always been soothed by applying a gentle pressure to them and having them...
  14. G

Cartomancy Tutorials?

I've only just read about Cartomancy, which is telling fortunes using regular playing cards instead of tarot cards. I'd love to learn this skill, especially since I'm to be the fortune teller in my upcoming school fair. Anyone know good links where I can learn the basics of this skill for free...
  15. G

The Whistle

Hi, I've been enjoying this message board for a while but never posted before. I don't have many fortean events which have happened to me, but I do have one tale to share which always struck me as odd. I live in the caribbean and there was a famous sort of "voodoo doctor" living not far away...
Back