• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Cute... or Creepy ?

(This is not a thread about Lucy Worsley.) The other day, I was looking at pages of various 1960s pop-culture ephemera, and I came across a link to these... things. http://www.bigeyesart.com/ They were apparently intended as cute, harmless mass-produced decorations, but something...
  2. D

"Geek" Is Now Meaningless

:? Except as an advertising buzzword, the word "geek" doesn't mean much of anything anymore. There has been an enormous loss of traction between what the word supposedly means, and what it is currently used to represent. "Geek" is supposed to mean something "on the fringe", something...
  3. D

Pontypool (horror film)

A variation on the idea on the idea of a "thought virus", this film is based on the premise that certain words (or rather the use of certain words, it's complicated) have become "infected", and the infection spreads like a contagion, causing brain damage and violence and death etc. (From...
  4. D

Super Ape... or Feral Human?

:? There are reports of some things, things which could be well described as "super apes", giant simian-faced critters, covered in thick ape-ish fur, 7 to 8 feet tall, massive bipedal super-gorilla type-things. Reports of bigfoot/sasquatch creatures seem to fall into this category. Bipedal...
  5. D

"Heroes Of Cosplay"

:oops: Did anyone else watch this documentary series? It was about the adventures of various cosplayers (people who wear character costumes at various science fiction/fantasy/anime/comic book/horror/etc conventions) as they travel from convention to convention and compete for prizes. It...
  6. D

Commedia dell'arte

http://fuckyeahcommediadellarte.tumblr.com/ http://coilhouse.net/2007/12/i-blame-pi ... verything/ But really, it seems that Harlequin is basically just a stupid prick, pretty much. Pierrot seems like pretty much an okay sort of guy, if not painfully bright.
  7. D

Did This Ever Really Happen ?

:confused: Some sources say yes, some sources say no. From Weather Whys Blog:
  8. D

Bigfoot / Sasquatch: Why So Smelly ?

In many reports of bigfoot/sasquatch encounters, the alleged creatures are described as having an overpowering, disgusting fetid-fecal stink about them. Why should sasquatches be so super-stinky? Most wild animals in the wild, while not exactly smelling like new cars or mouthwash, at least...
  9. D

Coywolf Menace!

:o There's a pack of these denned up on a hill about 1km from here, big and bold, they just walk around in broad daylight, and they don't run when you yell at them. From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf
  10. D

Fortean Shops, Restaurants & Businesses

(A thread for Fortean-themed businesses such as bookstores or shops or restaurants etc.) Little A'Le'Inn Rachel Nevada USA http://www.littlealeinn.com/ A little place made famous by countless "Area 51" documentaries, the Little A'Le'Inn has become something of a tourist attraction in...
  11. D

The Word 'Hobbit'

:? In 1937, JRR Tolkien published a fantasy novel called "The Hobbit". (however) From Wikipedia: (and) From Wiktionary: (and) From Wikipedia: ...and just for good measure, consider such surnames as Hobet Hobett Hobbett Hobbert Habbit etc So... Did JRR Tolkien...
  12. D

Sinister Cinematic Simians ?

:? Just wondering if anyone remembered this film. A Cold Night's Death (1973), starring Robert Culp and Eli Wallach. Two scientists are dispatched to an Arctic primate research facility after radio contact is abruptly lost. Something has gone horribly wrong. Only the research monkeys...
  13. D

Japanese Ghost Beliefs & Legends

Here is a brief article about ghost beliefs in Japan, as well as current Japanese attitudes regarding Hallowe'en, and related matters. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fl20111025zg.html (Yes, this is what I came up with for a Hallowe'en topic.) :oops:
  14. D

Rabbit Fall

:o (If you haven't seen it, well then it's "new" to you.) Unseen evil stalks an isolated rural town. A disturbing yet oddly folksy television series. http://tv.msn.com/tv/series/rabbit-fall.2/ (You can see episodes online, if you are so inclined.)
  15. D

Fortean Emergency Kit

(Or, how to investigate eerie mysteries, without becoming one ...) Suppose you are just sitting around, minding your own business. When suddenly, you hear a report about some strange goings-on in some remote location. And you think to yourself, "Hey that's only a few hours from here, I...
  16. D

Republican Sex Weirdness

:o (Note: This topic deals with the often strange and occasionally nightmarish sexual fantasies and practices of prominent Republicans. Younger readers are strongly cautioned.) Well, this is about a pattern of events. And maybe it has something to do with "repression", or something...
  17. D

Fortean TV Sitcoms

Just a thread to list and remember television situation comedies with Fortean (or at least arguably Fortean) themes. My Favorite Martian Nanny and the Professor The Girl with Something Extra Any more? (edited to note: This was my "six hundred three score and six" post, on some forums...
  18. D

How many American Muslims?

:? Nobody seems to know. Estimates range from one million (or less) to eight million (or more). A search engine isn't much help either, you get numbers all over the place, why is that? (I don't know if this rates as a "conspiracy", but it sure seems damned odd.)
  19. D

Jodi Dean!

Insightful, acerbic, witty, infuriating. Jodi Dean. http://people.hws.edu/dean/ :blissed:
  20. D

Neoconservatives: The Dalek View

:o What exactly is a Neoconservative, anyway? The more we look, the more fragments we are able to assemble, the more perplexing and bizarre the image becomes. How are we to understand Neocons? For the moment I would like to tentatively propose that Neoconservatives might be understood...
  21. D

Mondo Moscow

If you like Russian weirdness and plenty of it, then this documentary might be for you. Skyscrapers supposedly designed to be psychic accumulators, cryptic masonic symbolism, secret tunnels, and even Stalin's forbidden dacha, there is much that is peculiar in and around Moscow...
  22. D

Levelland Texas Incident (November 1957)

A few multiple-witness sightings of UFOs: ... Levelland (1957) ... Further reading: link
  23. D

Canuxploitation

:) How many times have you been watching a crappy film, and thought to yourself "Gee, this film is so crappy, I wonder if it is Canadian?" Wonder no more! http://www.canuxploitation.com :roll:
  24. D

Screaming Cat-Killer Beast ?

:shock: link For the past few months, there have been rumours around here (Southern Ontario, Canada) of people losing cats to something that tears through window screens to get at them. Then by accident I came across the story from Boston about "fisher" rodent things. Has anybody from...
  25. D

Let's be Film-makers !

:) Say we had lots of money (which we don't) and we were going to make a film about Charles Fort (which we can't), who would we get to play Charles Fort? And who else would we want in the film? Who would we get to direct? Who would write the thing? Would there be monsters? Pretty girls...
  26. D

Cybersix (the animated series)

It was based on a popular comic book from Argentina. It was a Japan-Canada co-production, so if you happen to be Japanese or Canadian, chances are you might have seen it. It aired briefly on Fox-TV in the States. Although it was intended as entertainment for children, it was probably too dark...
  27. D

Quote Hangar (UFO-Related Quotes)

(a place to store UFO-related quotes) ---------- When you think about it, the really astonishing thing would be if they did not exist. -- Jean Cocteau ---------- ---------- The almost universal attitude of scientists has been militantly negative. Indeed, it would seem that the...
  28. D

"The Girly Ghosthunters"

:? A documentary show about some girls who hunt ghosts. They travel around in a Winnebago, visiting haunted locations. This show may be coming to the UK next month. http://www.thegirlyghosthunters.com
  29. D

"The Pathology of Organized Skepticism"

an essay by David Leiter. link Organized skeptics: skeptical enquirers, or embittered cranks? You decide. :confused:
  30. D

Green Ladies Night

:? Has anyone ever heard a ghost story or folktale involving a spectral "green lady" haunting a swamp or marsh or forest, etc? Over on the General Forteana forum in the "Creepy Canada" thread I was looking for information about a story of a green lady haunting a swamp in Ontario, after a bit...
  31. D

13 things that don't make sense

(I just snagged this from The Anomalist news...) link Of all of these, I find the space probes that ignore the laws of physics to be the most disturbing... :?
  32. D

Fortean Decor

(a thread for the interior-decorating aspect of the Fortean lifestyle) So, what sort of Fortean touches do you use to brighten your abode? Do you have a "Clock Ness" Nessie wall clock? A collection of vintage 50s "flying saucer" memorabilia tastefully displayed in your den? Eerie...
  33. D

Negative Resistance?

:? Whatever happened with that whole 'negative resistance' thing, Professors Wang and Chung and the nanotubes and all that? At the time there were a few "hmm how about that" articles, but after that it seemed to vanish from the radar.
  34. D

Vitrified Forts? (Scottish Hill Forts; Inca Structures, Etc.)

What's the current state of knowledge on vitrified hill forts? Has the method ever been duplicated in modern times, or is it a lost art?
  35. D

UFO hypotheses

Extraterrestrial Hypothesis... Extradimensional Hypothesis... Um, is there a "Multiple Origins Hypothesis"? And if not, can we have one? In fact, why not an Infinite Origins Hypothesis? Ta-da! Modern cosmology says there are an infinite number of infinite universes, modern physics has...
  36. D

To the Fortmobile!

(a thread for discussing what kind of vehicles Forteans prefer, what decorative and/or functional modifications can be made to vehicles to make them more Fortean-friendly, the Fortean things Forteans do with their vehicles, how the right vehicle can enhance the Fortean lifestyle, etc) When...
Back