• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. V

Life on Mars (the other BBC time travel drama)

I'm not sure about that. From what I've read, the writers came up with this idea seven years ago, and Kudos hawked it around everyone without any takers. Apparently they'd given up when the BBC called up out of the blue and said "You remember that idea you were pitching…?"
  2. V

Man Flees Police; Beheaded On Iron Fence (Atlanta, 2003)

This was discussed on the snopes message board at the time. One of the members there is a firefighter in Atlanta, and he asked his colleagues who were called to the scene about it: Really, there’s very little to speculate on here: this was an incident with multiple witnesses; it was reported...
  3. V

Pratchett vs Rowling

The “certain people” you mention would include Pratchett himself. Despite the BBC article’s attempt to spin this into an attack by Terry upon Rowling, reading his letter to the Times makes it clear that what he is taking issue with is the shoddy and ignorant journalism of the Time Magazine...
  4. V

UK never had "The Trip?"

Yes, The Exorcist was banned in the 80s as a result of a bout tabloid-fuelled “video nasty” hysteria. Now that people have calmed down a little, it’s readily available. Something to bear in mind is that although journalists like to throw around phrases like “banned for 30 years”, that’s not...
  5. V

The Goodies

I heard Tim Brooke-Taylor on the radio a few months ago. He said that the BBC had been considering re-running the Goodies, but the idea was cancelled when the current head of programming took over. Seems she simply doesn’t like it.
  6. V

FT158

No.
  7. V

One Punch Billy

I've lived in the Newcastle area all my life, and I can't remember ever hearing of him. What have you heard?
  8. V

Disturbing Cartooons

That would be Muran Buchstansanger (sorry, can't promise that's the correct spelling). Very, very weird. As I remeber, he spent a lot of time talking to beetles. Veeble
  9. V

There's Buffey, and there's Harry Potter

Damn right kids love gore! Kids love monsters. Kids love to be scared. That's what makes me laugh about people who try to "protect" kids from nastiness, and make their little lives all fluffy bunnies and pixies. If kids don't have things to be scared of in books or on TV or whatever, they...
  10. V

Do You Remember Weird School Books From The Early 80s?

Don't sweat it -- I just found out the Snopes Message Board is back up and I'm a happy bunny. VeebleFetzter/Fitzter/Fitzer/Fetzer
  11. V

Snopes Message Board is Back up!

For those who have been pining away (and I know there are some): CLICK HERE to be re-directed to the new location Veeble "public service" Fetzer
  12. V

Wow. Consider me VERY surprised. I had no idea that was a real place -- it never even crossed my mind. Now I just want to find the books and read them and then go to the place and LOOK at it. Weird. Anybody have any idea where I might find the books? Second surprise: kids were still...
  13. V

There's Buffey, and there's Harry Potter

That's what bothers me too. I'm increasingly irritated by British TV's scheduling of Buffy and shows like it. They seem to assume that it's popularity with teenagers makes it a programme for "older children", but in fact it deals with some quite mature themes (albeit in a light-hearted way)...
  14. V

Collecting Crisp Packets, Bottle Tops, Etc., For Charity

Not necessarily insane -- consider: Mr A would like to recycle as much of his household waste as possible. However, his local council doesn’t recycle any of the refuse they collect, and the nearest recycling facility is an inconvenient distance away. While he realises that the pollution he...
  15. V

Collecting Crisp Packets, Bottle Tops, Etc., For Charity

The Blue Peter connection is a likely reason for people to fall for these hoaxes in this country, but it doesn't explain why they work in other countries. It seems people just want to help (not in any way that's going to cost them time or money, you understand, but if it's easy and free -- why...
  16. V

Needle Panics

Take over? Naturally not -- merely keeping the dream alive, for which I, for one, am grateful. When the message board comes back up, we can all hit the ground running. In the meantime, snopes has temporarily become a moveable feast. Ah, well . . . time for bed. I've got an argument...
  17. V

Well now, Trollface - now there's a thing. I had a very similar experience with colour-coded reading books when I was at primary school, except mine would have been in '69(ish). Which I think is a bit before your time. I'd get to read one or two books, and then the teacher would realise it was...
Back