• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

*bump* This is such a fun thread, I was thinking maybe it could use some new input.
  2. M

Face Blindness / Prosopagnosia

CERTAINLY he'd remember the naval jewel. :lol: OCD - I have that too. My doctor finally found a drug that helps immensely. I hate taking meds, but I hate the OCD more. I kept thinking I could control it if I just tried HARD enough. I knew that was a fallacy, for other folks, but I...
  3. M

That's the worst manifestion of the condition. According to the Wikipedia entry :roll: on prospoganosia, Penn Jillette of the illusionist duo Penn and Teller also has this condition, and supposedly did not recognize his own mother on at least one occasion.
  4. M

I LIKE the way you think. :wink:
  5. M

curious incident

I agree it's the trickster. Here in the American Southwest he's known as Coyote. Shaybarsabe, your comment about the trickster is very intriguing, and you certainly can't just leave it at that. What's the story?
  6. M

No - no problem AT ALL with Mark Wahlberg. :wow: One of them had a beard? Huh. Nope, didn't notice that either.
  7. M

EXACTLY!! I didn't know other people were like this! I had the deuce of a time with the movie "The Departed," because while I know they're two different people, I could NOT tell Matt Damon from Leonardo DiCaprio in this film. And since the plot involved much double dealing, I was thoroughly...
  8. M

Three times in one week I got a “it’s not just ME!” jolt. The most gratifying was discovering a condition called “propoganosia,” or “face blindness.” Artist Chuck Close was on The Colbert Report recently and he talked about his inability to recognize faces. All my life I have had trouble...
  9. M

Shopping At A Shop That Wasn't There!

Yes, I had exactly the same thought when I read the first post. The transdimensional gas station (the poster was, if I recall, Aurobouros? or something like that) had a good discussion going on for quite some time. The guy had several seemingly valid reasons for not having found his receipts...
  10. M

Phone Weirdness

Last week it rained here quite a lot, and since that happens so rarely the infrastructure always seems to fall apart. My sister's landline had gone out (gotten a little wet, or cold, apparently), and so she had only her cell phone. She got roused from bed Friday morning with a police officer...
  11. M

Quirky, Weird & Disgusting Habits

Seriously, if you were that flexible, would you use that skill to floss your teeth?? I think not.
  12. M

Been a good year for bad days, or a bad year for good days*

I appreciate the thought - but I'm almost afraid to tempt fate! :?
  13. M

Quirky, Weird & Disgusting Habits

A girl I used to work with flossed her teeth with her hair.
  14. M

Been a good year for bad days, or a bad year for good days*

We called it the Summer of Death, and while I know it wasn’t all about me, the only common element WAS me. The last week in April, my long-time friend Pete’s stepfather died. The following Friday, my sister had her elderly dog put to sleep. That Monday, my cat Meowfur (who was 16) woke me...
  15. M

Procrastination

I'll read this - tomorrow. 8)
  16. M

To all you psychic people...

I'm sorry your little friend has gone missing. I know how much it hurts. :cry: But it's much more likely that YOU would receive any psychic images from her, before any strangers would. Try putting yourself in a quiet state; meditative, if you can. Picture her face, imagine yourself...
  17. M

Predicting a natural disaster

OTR, your timing may have been a little off, but it's looking more like you had a "hit" here, doesn't it?
  18. M

The Cardboard Cat

Sounds like "The Wild Road," Gabriel King's book about the magical highway of cats and other animals.
  19. M

The Cardboard Cat

OR, you're possibly in grave danger. Let's hope for your sake the careless little pussycat doesn't know that you saw him. :shock:
  20. M

Clowns: Evil Or Funny?

Clown accused of stealing from elderly widow EVIL!!! EVIL EVIL EVIL!!! May 6th, 2008 @ 9:52am by KPHO.com A professional clown is accused of stealing $500,000 from an elderly widow. Prescott police said Carrie Williams-Thompson, aka Kooki the Clown, 48, befriended the older woman...
  21. M

Are "The Phoenix Lights" back?

Mystery lights reported over Phoenix April 22nd, 2008 @ 8:46am by Kevin Tripp/KTAR People are looking for an explanation for mysterious red lights that appeared in the north Phoenix sky Monday night, reminiscent of a similar event 11 years ago. Dozens of listeners called News/Talk 92-3...
  22. M

Earth as art

This isn't exactly Fortean, but these photos of Earth from Space are so lovely I wanted everyone to see them: http://eros.usgs.gov/imagegallery/index.php
  23. M

The Transdimensional Gas Station

EASY, that's me. In a Fortean sense, mind you. :wink:
  24. M

BAH!! I so wanted this one to be the real deal...
  25. M

Mystery 'Pilot'

:hmm: Friends, family? Neighbors? For crying out loud, I'm seeing the man's picture from another continent! How is it that NOBODY claims to knows him? It just seems impossible. Really, this story makes my heart ache.
  26. M

Mystery 'Pilot'

This is rather sad, isn't it? Surely this man is a veteran? Or I suppose he could just be an airplane enthusiast. Amazing to me how these human beings just wash up on the shores, so to speak (or literally, in the case of the piano man), and seem to have no one who's missing them. How did...
  27. M

Strange Paw-print

So you're saying it was an OWL delivering pizza escargot?? :shock:
  28. M

Litigation Gone Mad?

It gets worse - he's APPEALING! And it's being allowed! And the appeal has "no new arguments." I'm just waiting for the judge in the appeals court to waste this moron with a contempt charge, and fine him really big bucks. It's outrageous that the dry cleaner's owners have to have their lives...
  29. M

Ageing & Growing Old

These two were clearly a duprass, as described (imagined/created) by Kurt Vonnegut. A duprass is a kurass comprised of only two people, who die within one week of each other. http://cns2.uni.edu/~wallingf/personal/bokonon.html
  30. M

Clearly you were not sentenced to a childhood of Catholic catechism. I think the nuns' superstitions make sailors look like a most pragmatic lot. My experience occurred in the 50's and 60's, though. My mother was raised in the church in the very early years of the 20th century. I believe...
  31. M

Strange Paw-print

I knew that. :oops:
  32. M

Strange Paw-print

Forgive me if this is just a really stupid question. Do you know for sure it's on the outside, and not the inside?
  33. M

My mother had a more sinister take on whistling indoors. When I was very little and first learning to whistle, I tried it once (and only once) indoors. I say only once because she clouted me so hard I nearly saw God. When I picked myself up off the floor, she told me that I was never, never...
  34. M

My Mum's Weird 666 Experience

Sorry...I'm still stuck on this part: Dang...I want a job where they won't drug test me, so I can celebrate interviews with a fattie. 8)
  35. M

Strange kid-thing

OW!!! HEY!!! Where'd that rope come from?? And who left this copy of Harry Potter lying around?
  36. M

Out Of Place Crumpet

I know - I bet you were going to comment on how frightening this particular story is! :lol:
  37. M

Out Of Place Crumpet

This reminds me of a time I looked out my back window, and saw my little doggie running back and forth underneath the giant mulberry tree, with her tail wagging, and her tongue hanging out. Then she jumped up and snapped something out of the air. I looked more closely and saw little bits of...
  38. M

Out Of Place Crumpet

WHOA!!!!! :shock: You know, a nice English-to-American dictionary somewhere on this site would be good. I often wonder what the nice people in the U.K. are saying. And they, no doubt, wonder what language the Americans are speaking...
  39. M

Please tell us the story, HenryFort. If everyone waited to find their "proofs" before posting, there'd be no good stories here!
  40. M

You know, HenryFort, so did I. I hope it's not just because I wanted to believe him.
  41. M

Teleport across the city

Exactly right! That's why I love this particular board. Most people here do not jump immediately to the paranormal explanation. It's much more compelling if all the mundane explanations can be weeded out first. And once we've channeled Scully, then we can be Mulder! :wink:
  42. M

Teleport across the city

Hey, that guy never did come back with the proof, did he? Kept promising us he'd look up the receipt...really had me sucked in with that gas station story. Well, a good story, even if it wasn't true. :hmm:
  43. M

Ageing & Growing Old

How are you adjusting to your new home? And I've been dying to ask (hoping not to completely embarrass myself)... Is your Avatar Terry Thomas?
  44. M

Precognitive Dreams

And here's another, underscoring your point exactly. Last Thursday night I had a dream about looking at a magazine cover. The cover had a vividly colored photograph of a fish on it. I remember thinking it was weird that my magazine had a fish on it, but I was intrigued by the color and the...
  45. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Maybe they should be looking after those eleventy-one-year-old blag ladies.
  46. M

safety precaution

Obviously, it WORKS.
  47. M

Ageing & Growing Old

I was sitting in my fav bar, and feeling baffled to hear these two really old guys talking about Eric Clapton. I almost felt indignant. What would they know about Eric Clapton, those geezers? Then I realized that...well...they weren't really all THAT old, you know. My god, they're about...
  48. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Huh. Well I'll be. That's them, alrighty. :err: What did you do, Rynner, to deserve that? Uh, er, I mean, "Congratulations!" :hah:
  49. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Sorry...I think "kidney beans" must be something different in the U.K. than they are here, otherwise you wouldn't have "won" some. ?
Back