• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. C

submitting articles

Something I'm not clear about - when submitting articles is it best to send a proposal first or do the article and hope? I've read the box up top but it's not entirely clear on the matter. I appreciate an admission of interest is no commitment to write or publish on either party but are...
  2. C

Deep Topography

One of the more interesting characters on the web in recent times has been Nick Papadimitriou, a Londoner who describes his practice as deep topography and the film maker John Rogers who records Nick's discourses/rants and has brought him into the public eye. It seems we're about to hear more...
  3. C

Tura Satana dies

The Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! star died in Reno, Nev. yesterday.
  4. C

Phantasms of the living

Been reading the Peter Ackroyd book 'The English Ghost'. It's has a few lesser known anecdotes from unusual period sources but many are well know. It does have one section on living ghosts however, which reminded me of a story I read recently though I don't know whether it originated in FT or...
  5. C

FT268

Another good spooky theme issue. The magazine seems to have turned a corner for the better lately.
  6. C

The Cossacks are Coming!

More WW1 folklore: http://www.holmfirth1914.com/index.php?p=1_26
  7. C

Man Meat

I came across this site, which among other fascinating items, contains an outrageous bit of WW1 propaganda: http://www.holmfirth1914.com/index.php?p=1_25
  8. C

Religion, Law and Railway Modelling

Check this one out: http://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forum.asp ... rimination
  9. C

FT247

A little surprised nobody's mention the new magazine yet. Lots of macabre, premature burial, mummies, death festival and spook stuff. Timbers shivered with ghost ship article.
  10. C

Creepy Small Villages

I gotta theory that places with a lot of earth disturbance are creepy - ex-mining villages, ironstone extraction, china clay, quarrying. They don't get any better when slagheaps are reassimilated into weirdly smooth grass hills. Strange villages got worse since they lost their railways IMO...
  11. C

polt lore

One of the features of poltergeist cases that struck me (sic) is neighbouring properties, even terrace or semi-detached houses, rarely seem to get overspill from the targeted family. I haven't read the South Shield case yet and have some recollection that people outside could hear the Enfield...
  12. C

Yvette Fielding Personal Wealth

According to Wikipedia Yvette Fielding's personal wealthy, courtesy of various spooky production companies - stands at £21m. That is truly scary.
  13. C

Cases You'd Hate To Find Were Hoaxed?

On the heels of the most convincing Fortean phenomenon, are there any cases you'd hate to see de-bunked? Not necessarily something that would make you question the whole subject but something that has a pivotal or totemic quality. Mine would be: The Treasurer's House Ghosts. I really want to...
  14. C

Roman Soldiers At The Treasurer's House, York

The Treasurer's House Ghosts. I really want to believe a Roman legion walks through a York cellar.
  15. C

Hog of the Forsaken

For reasons too numerous to mention Michael Hurley's song is a Fortean masterpiece. Think T.S. Eliot with a fiddle line.
  16. C

Kettleness: Malevolent 'Force'

Re. Staithes, it isn't far from Kettleness where, IIRC, Colin Wilson talked about a terrible force that urged people to jump from the clifftops. Last time I was there an angler caught a suicide in his line, very sad. Of course both are near Whitby with it's gothic overtones. I actually find...
  17. C

FT229

A good issue and back to its traditional November spookiness. Alan Murdie's Ghostwatch returns too, yea.
  18. C

Learned Spooks?

My wife works at a university in a victorian building. One of the senior staff informed her, quite straight faced, that not many people worked out of hours because the building was haunted. The person had seen an apparition, as had a number of other's and door rattlings, chills and odd...
  19. C

Assap

Picked up a few Assap magazines at Unconvention here and there and always enjoyed them but the website seems to be semi-frozen or is that a misperception? As the best known psychic investigation organisation there seems to be a degree of hibernation. Is Assap its old vibrant self?
  20. C

Humans and Humanism

Hope this is the right spot for the topic. I've recently engaged in a web debate with a secular humanist, a good egg generally but there was a recent spat. I generally take a pluralist, relativist (which miniscule r) and dare I say it, Fortean angle. He, doesn't. Here's the thing, I have no...
  21. C

Appearing Keys

This is a perennial topic but it's the first time it has happened to me so here goes. I'm in the process of renovating a property and was given the keys by the previous tenants before Christmas. Soon after I realised I only had one of the three front door keys I'd been given on a ring and...
  22. C

Halloween And Spectral Probability

The eve of all hallows is a special day in the Animist and Christian calendar, marked by a thin divide between manifest and occluded worlds, questionable television programmes and drunken people in bad makeup and inappropriate hemlines. Above all it is associated with ghosts and spirits. The...
  23. C

Ghosts & Cameras

If we accept the popular idea of ghosts and poltergeists as disembodied spirits of some kind, or demons perhaps (whatever they may be), why are they so afraid of cameras? The body of anecdotal evidence for sightings of every kind is massive yet the credible footage of 'spirits' in action is...
  24. C

Late lamented Burbot

The burbot, or eel pout has been trapped in the British Isles since the ice age but in the last few decades has become almost certainly extinct. Restricted to rivers in the eastern and north eastern counties it was common enough to appear on cigarette cards in the nineteen thirties but it's...
  25. C

Council Spook Watch

Many, many years ago my elder sister used to be a bookbinder when libraries employed such people. One day she brought home a local council report, very much against the rules I imagine, which had been brought in for rebinding and which had fascinated her. It was a record with photographic...
Back