• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. J

odd 'disguised' cameras

Are you sure it's a camera and not a bird scarer? My local football team has just such an owl inside one of the stands to stop birds nesting there and crapping all over the seats.
  2. J

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

I'm now confused by this water vapour business. Water vapour is a greenhouse gas which is a lot worse than Co2. However at some point in the future due to the threat of Co2 warming up the planet, we could all find ourselves driving cars powered by Hydrogen fuel cells which emit nothing but water...
  3. J

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Interestingly if you go on to read the messages posted at the end of the article, nearly all of them rubbish the article and it's author. It's a confusing business and I don't know what to think but the programme showed me some interesting alternate views which I have yet (there is still...
  4. J

Britain: Police State?

You only have the right not to have your image used for commercial gain or in a defamatory manner. I do a bit of photography and when out and about with my camera I carry a laminated card which I can give to any jobsworth who thinks they can stop be taking photos of something. It simply reads...
  5. J

Here's your 50p, but we have ruined our entreprenuers!

I heard a different slant on this and that was that if all the wealth was evenly distributed it would only take about a year before the balance was restored and the poor would once again be poor and the rich rich.
  6. J

I've been wondering about this sort of thing as I've got a company car which is registered to a lease company which is no where near to where I live therefore would I have to start taking my rubbish to where the lease company is located? I suppose I could wave a utility bill at them but I'd...
  7. J

A mate of mine is a special constable and many years ago he told me quite seriously that if a police officer were to ever point a gun at me that I should stand very still and do whatever I was ordered to do as I would otherwise be shot. There is nothing sinister about this, it was to simply...
  8. J

So how exactly do people think things have changed, what makes you feel less free? I can't help but agree with many of the sentiments expressed but when I stop and think about it then I'm not entirely sure as to what has changed. Is it a case of what could occur in the future? Am I right in...
  9. J

FBI can activate cellphone mics for spying

Sounds like a more sophisticated version of simply sitting on your phone and having it dial a number in its memory. I've eavesdropped on plenty of conversations that way.
  10. J

Poisoned: Spy Who Quit Russia For Britain (Aleksander Litvinenko)

It was after the Yuschenko poisoning and was seen by many as the Russians flexing a bit of muscle at the now pro-Western government in Kiev. Absolutley right about The Ukraine paying less then market rates and so again this was just a handy excuse in order to squeeze The Ukraine a little bit...
  11. J

Poisoned: Spy Who Quit Russia For Britain (Aleksander Litvinenko)

Maybe he's seeing just how far he can push the West before he gets a real reaction and he decides to turn off the gas supplies. He turned the gas off to the Ukraine and nobody really cared so he knows he can get away with that with former Soviet satellites now how far can he go with the old enemy?
  12. J

Apparently it doesn't retain the fingerprints, simply scans them, checks them and discards them so it isn't an attempt to get everybody in the country on a fingerprint database (yet). It's also not about fingerprinting speeding motorists as the Daily Mail claimed instead it is about nicking...
  13. J

That is a very worrying article, I might send a copy to my MP and see what sort of reply I get. http://www.writetothem.com/ Thats a link for anyone else who fancies giving their MP some grief. Back to the police state and here is a tale of exactly how are beloved boys in blue treat...
  14. J

David Icke & His Work

Like this little gem. :roll: One of my favourite spoilsport activities is debunking this particular pile of tosh whenever it's trotted out as something everyone knows.
  15. J

NHS to be sold off?

Here you go: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4608782.stm
  16. J

NHS to be sold off?

I heard something similar either on Radio 5 or Newsnight the other day. I wasn't paying much attention at the time but I do remember briefly wondering what would happen if the US company was a having a bad financial year and whether they would simply deny load's of patients treatment, as has...
  17. J

Mobile Phone Tracking

I don't know about that but Brainiac did try to spark an explosion with a mobile phone. They wanted to test the mobile phone blowing up petrol station theory so what they did was to douse the inside of a caravan with petrol, leave a phone inside and dial it up. I believe they had some mechanism...
  18. J

Mobile Phone Tracking

Fortunately most peoples skulls are substantially thicker then an egg shell. I believe that after 20minutes of using a mobile phone, the skin and flesh immediatley adjacent to the phone will increase in temperature by around one third of a degree (celcius). In the same period the part of the...
  19. J

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

Here is an interesting piece about ghosts from the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. http://homepage.virgin.net/martin.farncombe/ghost_archive/ghosthtm/Warsaw.htm Considering that around 3000 soldiers and civilians were killed every day for 60 days and many are still buried beneath the streets...
  20. J

Below is a letter that appeared in my local rag which I thought was quite interesting. A couple of the incidents mentioned are quite well known but I'm not sure about a few of the others, indeed the BBC one sounds almost like a UL. Source
  21. J

Strange scratches

It does a bit but my left bicep is a bit of an odd place for a hickey...actually now I come to think of it, no it isn't, but it's definitely not a hickey or at least not one I remember getting! :oops:
  22. J

Strange scratches

If you want odd bruises then check this one out that I picked up a few weeks ago. Appologies for the blurry photo, basically it was rectangular with the line in the centre which was not a bruise but broken skin. The bruise faded normally but I still have a scar of the centre line. I'm...
  23. J

Are Robins Symbols Of Dead Loved Ones?

Going back to the stories of how the Robin got it's red breast....I was told that when Jesus was born everyone was asleep in the stable, obviously the excitement of all the shepherds, sheep and wisemen took it's toll. Anyhoo, there was a small fire burning in the stable as the lone source of...
  24. J

Phone Weirdness

A mobile phone base station (the masts that people are so terrified of) can only handle so many calls at once. The last time I was involved in that side of things it was around 120 but has probably gone up. This is why you have lots of base stations in towns and cities whilst in the country they...
  25. J

Video & Computer Game Urban Myths

The Wheelie one is true as I completed it and indeed a ghost biker did appear. It appeared at the bottom of the screen and simply went back but didn't have to deal with any of the obstacles, whereas I had to try and keep up with it whilst also negotiating the obstacles so it was pretty much...
  26. J

Astronomer Copernicus believed excavated in Polish cathedral

Excellent, you've found an English language version. My Polish is a bit ropey at the best of times so it confirms pretty much what I thought it said.
  27. J

Astronomer Copernicus believed excavated in Polish cathedral

Buriel site of Copernicus found Polish archeologists have discovered what they claim to be the final resting place of astronomer Copernicus. It is apparently in a church in the town of Frombork. They are 97% sure that they are correct and have even produced an image of what they believed he...
  28. J

Shingle Street - German Invasion

I have to echo Spooks thoughts on this, I too heard the programme on Radio 4 as it was repeated a few months ago. In fact I even posted something about it right here: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20319 There was certainly no conspiracy, simply a case of circumstance...
  29. J

Football Chants

I won't mention who I support as I don't wish to tarnish the name with what a minority of idiot fans started chanting a few years ago. It was after the nailbomb attacks in London and they managed to pool their individual brain cells to come up with, ( to the tune of 'knees up mother Brown')...
  30. J

Student beatings

Back on topic, there used to be a pub opposite my halls of residence where it was claimed the locals did over one hapless student with pool cue's. I never knew who the student was and neither did anyone else but the story was always retold as gospel and was the reason why none of us ever went...
  31. J

Transmitters

Of course 3g phones have GPS built into them so you can now be tracked to within a few metres however the phone companies were sensitive to people's concerns and there is an option to turn the GPS off. If you're wondering why a phone needs GPS, it's all to do with the mapping programs that...
  32. J

The perils of licking envelopes

You can do it with gaffer tape as well.
  33. J

What Does a 99-cent Bic Lighter Tell Us About Security Protocols?

It's interesting that this is done now as I'm sure I heard the other day that in Britain things like nail clippers/scissors were being taken off the banned list. Did anyone else hear that or did I dream it?
  34. J

The Queen & Poo

The best pope story I've heard is that when a new pope is crowned or whatever it is you do to make someone a pope, he sits on a throne with a hole cut out of the seat. Then a senior bishop sticks his hand through the hole and checks that the pope is in fact a bloke. They've been doing this...
  35. J

Rock & Roll Myths

The one I heard was that U2 were under a death threat from the IRA.
  36. J

Blue-Footed Nazis And Other WW2 Disinformation

There was programme on Radio 4 last week about rumours of a German invasion attempt in September 1940 at Shingle Street in East Anglia. Story goes that the sea was set alight to repel this invasion and proved highly successful. It seems that at this time there were a lot of burned German bodies...
  37. J

Animal Falls: Falls Or Rains Of Animals (Frogs, Fish, Etc.)

I've probably posted this elsewhere already but a few years ago I parked my car in my local city centre and when I returned I found a dead rat on the bonnet and another one on the ground next to the car. No idea how they got there although it was parked in one of the local student areas so...
  38. J

Fugitive Nazis

As a descendant of a Katyn victim I have to say that I'd be more than happy to see the perpetrators tried and punished no matter how old they are which I think is the crux of the matter. If it affected you then you want justice/vengence (delete as applicable). If it didn't affect you then you...
  39. J

Most Haunted: Bumper Compendium Thread

Perhaps for the next MH live (14 Dec?) we should all send in silly texts under our screen names i.e. "JurekB in Stoke says that when Derek made contact with the spirit of the old lady his cat vomited in the dish washer". Or is that just too silly?
  40. J

LSD tattoos

This rings a bell, many years ago when I was in 6th form college the local plod came to give the usual 'drugs are bad' lecture. Part of the lecture involved a bit of a show and tell element where Mr Plod produced various powders and bits of resin in order for us all to fully understand what we...
  41. J

Fortean Poland?

I don't think there is a lot of Fortean stuff in Warsaw, there was the Miracle on the Vistula during the 1919/20 Polish/Soviet war. Basically the Red Army were at the city gates. The Soviets halted their advance which gave the Poles a chance to regroup and counter attack in a pincer movement...
  42. J

Baldness: Will There Ever Be A Cure?

I've got Alopaecia so apart from the odd one or two hairs here and there, I am completely hairless, and I love it. It started when I was about 8 and then it was a total nightmare as it was just one small spot so naturally I got a lot of grief about it. It actually was quite fortunate as my...
  43. J

Bletchley Park and the Holy Grail

WW2 codebreakers seek Holy Grail in English stately home. Story CODE CRACKER CRUSADE TO UNEARTH HOLY GRAIL SALLY WALMSLEY 12:03 - 12 May 2004 Wartime codebreakers visited Stafford's Shugborough estate yesterday in a bid to crack a 250-year-old puzzle, said to pinpoint the...
  44. J

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

Wieliczka is indeed very impressive, The Chapel of St Kinga is an absolute marvel especially the bas relief of Da Vinci's 'The Last Supper'. I hope you had lots of fun in Poland, Escargot.
  45. J

Strange Broadcasts

I asked the exact same question almost 2 years ago and here are the replies I recieved which may well flesh things out a bit for you. http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1980 Update on the relevant link: Ashtar Galactic Command...
  46. J

The Devil In Place Names

There is a Devils Lane between Longsdon and Rudyard just off the A53 between Stoke and Leek. No Idea how it got it's name though. It's a long straight road on top of some moorland if that helps. Devils Lane
  47. J

Marching on Bridges

Apparently you can fit the entire earths population on to the Isle of Wight. So what would happen to the Isle of Wight if that happened and everyone jumped simultaneously?
  48. J

Tetra, Mobiles, Implants and Other Radio Stuff

Re: Re: Re: Mobile Phones and Petrol Stations. Brainiac - Science Abuse on Sky One did this very experiment just a few weeks ago. Basically they took a caravan, chucked a load of petrol around inside it and then left some phones in there. They dialed up the phones and nothing happened...
  49. J

Not true, off the top of my head I can think of 3 schools, 4 hospitals and at least 1 old folks home with antennae on the roof. The names escape me of the schools but certainly Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge, Birmingham Womens Hospital and James Paget hospital in Great Yarmouth. All of these...
  50. J

No there isn't, lets get some things straight. What do we mean when we talk about 'the radiation from mobile masts'? Are these things stuffed with uranium? No because we are talking about non-ionising radiation. So what is non-ionising radiation? Well it's the same stuff that sends pictures...
Back