• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

The Hindu Thread

I wonder if they'll show ... ? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7132124.stm
  2. D

King of the blues

The headline-makers are probably just disappointed that Elvis has not yet appeared simultaneously in some seaside rock and a bread roll.
  3. D

King of the blues

I put "elvis" and "stilton" into the message board search and came up with naught, so here's hoping this hasn't been covered in enormous detail elsewhere ... Elvis Found In Cheese
  4. D

Mass / Crowd UFO Sightings

I wonder if he's been travelling the world randomly testing lanterns since the mid-1940s? Well, another mystery to tick off the list as "solved" :D
  5. D

Fortean Headlines

Sudan Man Forced To 'Marry' Goat
  6. D

Most Haunted: Poo Or Boo?

One of the things that exasperates me about Degsy is that he seems to have gone through his whole life not knowing what anything is ... if he is thinking of a well, it's always "I'm seeing some kind of ... hole? A round hole? With bricks lining it ... and water down it, yes, water, a round...
  7. D

Didn't he start off as a second-hand record dealer? If so, I'm sure he could claim a background in "social history" :)
  8. D

Fortean Headlines

Space-age funeral for 'Mr Noodle' "Space-age funeral for 'Mr Noodle'" Even if the stories are a bit prosaic, the BBC news ticker people are certainly having a good time with headlines at the moment ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6406001.stm
  9. D

I quite enjoyed the early series as knock-about entertainment, but I think the coming of the "Live" shows was the point when it started taking itself too seriously. Amateurs screeching at every creaky floorboard is a bit of a giggle, and there were the odd genuinely-creepy moments; but by series...
  10. D

Fortean Headlines

Sex attacks blamed on bat demon http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6383833.stm
  11. D

Fortean Headlines

Death penalty over China ant scam http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6365123.stm
  12. D

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

My dad used to tell me horror tales of people dropping dead from the unlikeliest things, to scare me out of doing them. Typical was "there was a boy recently who drank his orange squash as quickly as you just did, and he died on the spot" ... I can't do anything these days. I used to think...
  13. D

Internet myths?

Any truth in the one that goes "corporations paid holiday students simply to keep accessing their web-sites all day, in order to bump up the site hits and keep them at the top of search engine result pages" ?
  14. D

The Omphalos Of Britain

Reading this fleetingly, for one terrifying moment I thought that Britain was being guarded by the head of Brian Blessed ... :)
  15. D

Can anyone recommend a ghost DVD ... ?

I'm pretty sure all three shows were repeated in the early '80s (the ghost one certainly was), which suggests they survived the Great Magnet. There other two included one about UFOs; the third one I forget - it might have been about the Loch Ness Monster, but I'm happy to be corrected!
  16. D

Mystery Of The Eltanin Antenna

Sounds like OldTimeRadio has gone to Dimension X :)
  17. D

We'll just have to file this one under "dunno" :D
  18. D

I dunno, the Cladorhiza sponge theory looks quite convincing to my jaded eyes ... larryhatch.net/ELTANIN.html Link is dead. The MIA webpage (with images) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20051222171957/http://www.larryhatch.net/ELTANIN.html
  19. D

Paul Is Dead (Sixties Hoax)

There's a dissonant interval or something which was known as The Devil In Music and ISTR was banned by the church in the middle ages. And the whole is-there-coded-music-in-Rosslyn-Chapel thing that was just in Fortean Times. Elgar's Enigma variations have a main theme which is ... er ... an...
  20. D

Answering my own question, in part, while posing another .... what are people's opinions of the William Woollard "Ghost Hunter" series (the UK one which was shown a lot on Discovery channel, not the American Most Haunted-alike)? In pursuance of my quest above I picked up a volume and it seems...
  21. D

Don't Touch That Dial...Or Else (TV-Related Urban Legends)

You can get this series on DVD now ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/2005/02/21/17166.shtml There was an "exploding Colour TVs" scare, I seem to remember, in about 1970 when colour programming began in earnest on British TV and the sets were still the preserve of the better-off. I...
  22. D

Immortality!

yes, he even made some records - the funky comte! Unfortunately immortality eluded him, he killed himself in 1983.
  23. D

Hill Figures

One in serious need of restoration (or un-restoration, as it was the restoration a couple of years ago by English Heritage that caused the problems) is Westbury. Next to Uffington this has always been the next-best-known in my (admittedly, valueless) experience. Although it's only 18th...
  24. D

I wonder if there are any half-decent documentaries about ghosts and ghost-hunting out there on DVD? I can live without the hysteria of Most Haunted and its ilk, I'd just be interested to know if anyone can recommend any rational but open-minded documentaries which are spooky at the same time...
  25. D

Lyme Regis ghost photo

Quite impressed with some of the 'sponsored links' on that web-site : Sania Mirza Photos; Quality Megaphones; Sound Recorder; News of the Weird; Myspace Music Video Codes; Replacement Windows; Adoption Agencies; We Love Freebies; FlyakiteOSX Transformation Pack; Tattoo Designs; Hair Loss...
  26. D

Lyme Regis ghost photo

That's the kidder; many thanks, at least I can now be more confident about being right in the first place that its not very convincing ....
  27. D

When's Peg O'Nell's Night?

The nice man at Bowland Brewery says he doesn't know if there's a specific 'Peg's Night' either and although his 'Headless Peg' beer is essentially a winter ale, he sometimes makes it at other times of the year too. So I think we just have to hope that whenever Peg's night is, it isn't the night...
  28. D

Lyme Regis ghost photo

Last weekend I was down in Lyme Regis and noticed the local paper (which I believe is the Bridport and Lyme Regis Echo ... ) running as its front page story "Child's ghost captured on camera" . The picture didn't look very convincing from a cursory glance, so I didn't buy a copy of the paper...
  29. D

Yes, I saw that stuff, thanks. Everything you need to know except, exasperatingly, what time of year "Peg's Night" is supposed to be :)
  30. D

Thanks for that, interesting stuff. There's an old postcard of the well and the broken statue here - curiously enough, it was the beer that lead me to this question :_pished: ! It seems to be seasonal and I was interested in finding out what time of year it is brewed. From there it was only a...
  31. D

Peg O'Nell is said to be the ghost of a servant girl who haunts the river Ribble near Clitheroe, Lancashire. She's associated with Waddow Hall. The tradition claims that she returns from the river every seven years to claim a life. Although the legend is said to date from the 18th century, it...
  32. D

Dr Who fans go psychic

That sounds about right. I remember him being very non-committal at the time - but then he also said that the only story never likely to be recovered was "Tomb of the Cybermen" !
  33. D

Dr Who fans go psychic

Hmm, now there's a euphemism, if ever I heard one ... :) If you're the Paul Lee who wrote the excellent feature about missing Who episodes, you're almost entirely responsible for getting me back into Who a few years back after twenty years in the wilderness. Such are the joys of the...
  34. D

Dr Who fans go psychic

Be very careful ... if you start thinking like that, in twenty years' time you'll be trying to get psychics in to find them! :)
  35. D

Dr Who fans go psychic

I've been reading on a cult TV forum (Roobarb's, URL below) that some of the more extreme Dr Who fans out there are considering approaching a psychic to see if s/he could provide any clues as to the whereabout of missing episodes of the series. I mention this and pass along without comment...
  36. D

Antiques Ghost Show

I've seen a couple of these, and the main thing that struck me was how cheap it all looked. The Derek bits are a fairly minor part, he comes through a door with dry ice and blue light billowing around him, then proceeds to look really rather clumsy and uncomfortable when doing the "readings" -...
  37. D

Unexplained Magazine Ghost voices Flexi-disc

I believe the Raudive book (with original record) is still available from the publishers, http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk
  38. D

Weird Experience With Sigil Magic

Fascinated by all I've read on this subject - thanks to you all for pointers - but how careful do you have to be about posing unambiguous "wishes"? I imagine it's a bit like self-hypnosis in that respect. For example, how would you phrase a wish to lose weight? I'd hate to do a sigil for "I wish...
  39. D

Cellphones and Petrol Stations / Gas Pumps

A year or so back I was at a petrol station (I think it was Sainsbury's in Frome ... ) and their warning notice was accompanied by a photo of a burned out car in a forecourt. I only saw this in passing, so can't recall what (if any) damage had been done to the forecourt, but the picture was...
  40. D

Two telephone tings ... is it just me ?!?!

Neither did they - it was a re-used number and the previous user had failed to cancel the service ...
  41. D

I remember reading ages ago about a household who kept getting a call in the middle of the night, there was just a sigh then the line went dead. After a few months they discovered it was some sort of thermostat signal being sent down a line that used to belong to some sort of remote-controlled...
  42. D

Not Very Secret Society

Well, enlightenment for ten bucks a year can't be bad :) So there are two rival ones doing the rounds. I wouldn't like to be on Brighton beach when they meet up on a bank holiday ...
  43. D

Not Very Secret Society

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Order of the Divine Feminine, the "secret" society which recruits members on-line? www.divinefeminine.netfirms.com Couldn't find any mention of them on this forum, but then I might have been looking in the wrong place (in which case...
  44. D

Cheers for all this - I don't feel like so much of a threat to the state anymore (unless you lot are all engaged in a cover-up conspiracy :)
  45. D

My telephone goes 'ting' twice in succession once every evening between 19.30 and 20.45. The same thing has happened in every place I've lived for the past fifteen years. Is it Menwith Hill giving up on the hope of hearing anything seditious for another evening? I lived with a telecom engineer...
  46. D

Shortwave Number Stations

No, it's more like the ones on the Conet collection described as "high pitched polytone"
  47. D

oops! I thought it was a bit odd that I couldn't find anything on this subject - I was looking in the wrong place, dur :oops: Thanks for putting me straight.
  48. D

Spy numbers stations I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has either been covered to death, or you don't know what I'm talking about. I imagine you are aware of the spy stations that (used to?) broadcast regularly on shortwave radio, giving coded messages in electronic voices or musical...
Back