• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. N

FT256

Just a note to echo the praise on the pieces on Dennis Wheatley and the Twilight Zone - it's the Fortean culture bits which keep me reading the magazine tobe honest.
  2. N

Mischief Night

East / West Split I was talking about this with a bloke in work yesterday - it was always the night before Halloween, out here on the western edge of Lancashire. He was brought up in York, and always knew it to be the night before Bonfire night.
  3. N

Puzzling Proverbs

Sage advice from the cab of a Dutch HGV "Never drive faster than your Angel can fly"
  4. N

Hoarders

On a linked aside to Hoarders & Hoarding Is it linked to being, or perhaps feeling dispossessed at some point in life? From memory of the obituary to Mr Trebus - He was a prisoner in one of the Nazi Concentration Camps in Poland, and so will have lost everything prior to that. Mr...
  5. N

Xtreme Xmas

6. N

Hoarders

Clipped from my local paper
  7. N

Chris de Burgh's Magical Powers

This all reminds me of Bill Bailey's song about CdeB "Beautiful Ladies in Danger, in danger all 'round the world. I alone can save them, because I am Chris De Burgh"
  8. N

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

More Torchwood-hype sightings... From BBC digital radio 7 this time...
  9. N

Haunted Pubs / Pub Hauntings

Have to say, that's the first I've ever heard of an Underground Street. :shock: And I've lived just outside Southport town for the last 30+ years James, can you tell us more about it?
  10. N

I'd have to say "the Smallest Pub In England" on Southport Prom should have that accolade.
  11. N

I couldn't find a separate thread for Pub Hauntings, so please join it to one if it's out there. Story from the Southport Champion free paper August 10th 2006
  12. N

Rufford Old Hall Ghost story

Taken from the local free paper: The Site is owned by the National Trust, and is on the A59 in Rufford Lancashire; and well worth a visit. I can vaguely remember a story from when I went with a School trip 25-odd years ago that the main bedroom of the Hall was haunted, but none of the NT...
  13. N

Family Curses

Depends on who was cursed I guess.
  14. N

Family Curses

My Manx Grandmother insisted that there was a curse on our family, and that the first-born child of our family would always die in infancy. This was certainly true of her firstborn, my Dad's elder brother who died very young (around 18 months old) And my Mum had a miscarriage before I was...
  15. N

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Full details here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5271054.stm News in brief: The Beeb were considering a Rose Tyler Spin-off show. But cancelled it. And "Torchwood" confirmed to air on BBC3 in the Autumn
  16. N

Migraine 'Auras' & Other Visual Disturbances

The one and only time I had a migraine it was exactly like this, only I didn't have the expected criplling headache afterwards. All of a sudden my visual sense failed, and I had a blank area in my main field of view. Strangely, the peripheral vision at the extreme edges was working, so I...
  17. N

Filipino Judge Assisted By Magic Dwarves

Full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5261856.stm?ls News in Brief, a Judge in the Phillipines has been sacked, and lost his appeal to the Supreme Court; because he claims 3 magic dwarves "Armand", "Luis" and "Angel" helped him give Healing Sessions in his...
  18. N

Rattlebones Inn & Other Pub Names

There's a Pub in Lathom, Lancs called "the Ship", but known colloquially as "The Blood Tub", as they used to make Black Puddings on the Premises.
  19. N

Mystery Booms From The Sky (Skyquakes)

Further to my note on the quoted piece I have now heard the "booms" and quite curious they are too; a low, deep, periodic rumble like a heartbeat. Frequency seemed to be something like once every other second or so. (so, maybe 0.5Hz?)
  20. N

Formby is still in Sefton, the sound carried into West Lancashire.
  21. N

Coincidences

Just to try to get the facts straight, Did your Husband's Cousin die two days before the Pan Am 103 Bomb over Lockerbie in September 1988? Or two days before the date you passed through and saw the blurred sheep? And was the fear of Terrorism the coincident link?
  22. N

Under The Weather

All this hot weather has brought an old Siouxie & the Banshees song to mind - I don't remember the title, but there was a sample from some old movie, where (it sounded like) Humphrey Bogart made a point how hot weather and murder were linked. I think it was "There are more murders...
  23. N

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

In typical DNA style it was more a bit of both. The "Dawn of Life" bit in "City of Death" was in one of the Dirk Gently novels The Cambridge College/Tardis bit in "Shada" was reused too. It's hardly plagiarism to recycle stuff you've written yourself though.
  24. N

To be honest, I don't remember any items about the mystery thuds before, but it's solved now..
  25. N

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

And, according to rumour in the Daily Mirror, they will face the Ice Warriors next season..
  26. N

Preposterous Imposters (Identity Thieves; Fraudsters; Etc.)

From today's Independent Online edition I just have to admire the laziness of the German Media, they meet a man who speaks German, and is called Rooney, and who claims to be the Uncle of someone in the public eye, and they put him on TV just like that. Renews my faith in human nature...
  27. N

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

From today's online Independent Typical Yorkshiremen, always have to go that bit further than everyone else..
  28. N

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Hi Scoutfinch, Have you contacted the Skem Advertiser? From the stuff they've had so far, activity seems to be centred on the Dalton/Lathom side of the Beacon. They've reported sightings in Hall Green, Upholland Stannanought Road, (Towards Pilkingtons) Near Tawd Vale High School...
  29. N

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

Or, as in the case of Carmen Miranda, half eaten by a Chihuaha. That's if "Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon" is in any way to be believed anyway.
  30. N

Classic Archive Merged: Guardian Devils?

Black Blob "Floaters" - If you, or anyone you know is seeing them, just as general thing, it might be worthwhile having an Optician check your/their eyes out. Black Floaters can be harbinger of Diabetes, The Optician will be able to confirm if it's worth referring the matter to your Doctor.
  31. N

Coincidences

Just had a strange coincidence at work. Punter rang up about his Rates, and then asked to be passed over to the person dealing with his rent, as he's a tenant of the council too. I transfer his call to find the person at the other end was just about to email me about another tenant in the...
  32. N

Numbers connected to people

"An Angel passed.." Kind of related note to all this. It became apparent to a group of my mates (& I) that those weirdly silent moments when all the conversations in the pub stop at once for no obvious reason are always either at 20 minutes past or 20 minutes to the hour. Does everyone...
  33. N

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

West Lancashire ABC Another sighting in West Lancashire
  34. N

Predestination poll

Who here believes in predestination & fate? Alternatively, who really does not believe in it? Please feel free to weigh in with any stories etc to back up your opinions
  35. N

Has Anyone Noticed This Peculiar 3D Effect?

The Colour-blind can see it. I remember a C-B mate of mine asking me if a Red+Blue combination looked funny to me too. He couldn't see what was different, but the two tones were different to him too.
  36. N

TV Psychics Claim Lennon Contact

As an aside to the whole tawdy spectacle, Joe Power seemingly comes from the Village I live in. And our local paper ran a story advertising his connection to the place - "Local man speaks to dead Beatle" (I'm not directly quoting there, but that was the thrust & 'spirit' (sorry) of the...
  37. N

Labour's Accounts - "Even Enron would be amazed.."

My cynical suspicion regarding Rod Aldridge & CAPITA Given Capita have had the lion's share of the outsouced Civil Service & Local Government work & IT contracts, they need Mr Aldridge to "die like a Roman" (metaphorically) to allay any suspicion that the fact he loaned the Labour party big...
  38. N

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

West Lancs ABC update The latest from the local press on the West Lancs Big Cat, Plus plugs for Merrily Harpur's book & conference
  39. N

Labour's Accounts - "Even Enron would be amazed.."

Honestly, get with the program, people! It's not "Sleaze", it's "Choice". We, as consumers, have the free-market "choice" to suborn elected representatives of the people in any way the market will allow. And, we should award the entrepreneurial spirit of the British risk-takers...
  40. N

Ageing & Growing Old

We shouldn't knock it until we've tried it... ..sorry, it's all going 'Frankie Howerd' - everything a double entendre..
  41. N

Ageing & Growing Old

OK Rynner, rub it in why don't you?.... :roll:
  42. N

Holocaust Denial

As I understand it, there is a major background of Anti-Nazi legislation in Austria, brought in when the Allied powers were occupying Germany & Austria. Though, I think Mr Irving was prosecuted under newer laws against the promotion of Neo-Nazi ideas and the like. That was the gist of the...
  43. N

Ageing & Growing Old

No Dude, rage hard against the dying of the light!!! No one went to their grave wishing they'd been more mature at 27; that I'm sure of.
  44. N

Ageing & Growing Old

I sort of agree and disagree simultaneously here. Death is a certainty. True enough. But I think it is the emphasis you take on the meditations on it which is the crucial part here. Sort of like "Don't Fear the Reaper" - if you'll forgive a Blue Oyster Cult reference - think about living, as...
  45. N

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

We have a midnight skater - an old chap who skates about the pedestrianised town centre of Ormskirk at what used to be kicking out time. To be fair to him, he skates well, and livens things up, but he is a bafflement to all.
  46. N

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Could this be merged with the ABC thread?
  47. N

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

More from this weeks' Ormskirk Advertiser
Back