• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

Saw it in 3D today. It was spectacular. Ideologically as insipid as one would expect from the Lightstorm stable, but this is 21st century 3D in all its glory. Don't see it for the in-depth analysis afterward. Go for the out-and-out kick of the visual magnificence. It was well worth the extra...
  2. S

Mayan Calendar & 21st December 2012

I vote Bigfoot73 the marathon stayer of the year for his indefatigable stamina in the face of the bleeding obvious. Good form. Don't let the buggers grind you down, mate. You're an inspiration. :lol: On topic, I hope my Mum's not too upset when this asteroid shakes the gravity waves from...
  3. S

Australian Aboriginals: Origins, Arrival & Culture

Here's a link to the site. Amazing what you can find online these days with just a single obscure term to go on. I'll be rolling out there this long weekend to check the site out. Apparently I was born at Hallett. Be a kind of homecoming. There's a line of these petroglyph sites that starts down...
  4. S

UFO Hits Wind Turbine

Multiple points linked together sounds like a meteorite disintegrating after passing through the atmosphere. There should be plenty of footage of that type of action somewhere online. However, one would expect at least some debris to be located nearby, and there are no reports of such as yet. I...
  5. S

Best Villains Of All Time?

Indeed. I've not read Blood Meridian, but Bardem's Chigurh is awesome.
  6. S

Death

Do you think death is over-reverentialised? I sometimes think that, but at other times I think death is worthy of the circumspection it receives.
  7. S

Death

Now Abraham would have had a few words to say on subject. I heard he was fixing to end his own young child's life had the Almighty not stepped in with a timely "Nah, was only joking". Good thing the big G was there to straighten him out at the last minute. Phew. I don't believe in god, gods...
  8. S

Death

Nothing is more poignant than Shakespeare but that. 'Bram' is a funny name.
  9. S

Death

11:59pm SA time. This period of night promotes contemplation. I've been listening to some death metal by a Korean metal band called Battle's Eve. They sing "Death is here". It seems unlikely. Is death an existential experience? What is death? Does it exist as a graspable sentient thing, or is...
  10. S

Australian Aboriginals: Origins, Arrival & Culture

Please watch this series currently running on Australia's SBS on Sunday and Tuesday nights. Each episode is an hour long. http://www.sbs.com.au/firstaustralians/ It documents the story of the clash of cultures, the misunderstandings and the brutality that have shaped race relations within...
  11. S

Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

So what time's the kick-off? I've tried to find a date and time, but CERN's website is useless (nice Flash timeline though). Anybody know the day or time? ooer. Correction: There it was on the front page. I must have been on the other front page. LHC First Beam on 10 September 2008...
  12. S

How do I become a Ufologist?

There is another field which lends itself splendidly to this phenomenon ... Psychiatry.
  13. S

The Hobbit Film

Sounds tasty. Pan's Labyrinth was thoroughly enjoyable. But then I'm an easy lay when it comes to edgy directors and their films. :wink: This could be a dark masterpiece with del Torro at the helm, but I shudder at the idea of "fast tracking" the screenplay once the strike is over. They...
  14. S

The Hobbit Film

Hello, and thankyou. It wouldn't have mattered what director worked the story, it would always be just an interpretation to which a certain %age would inevitably take offense. Taken, all in all, as a work to win a mass audience, it works relatively well. The text had 50 years of exposure in the...
  15. S

How Possible Is Blade Runner?

Very good points. Spent 2-3 yrs in those parts myself. The sepia daytime skies also replicate a city environment like Beijing's too. I've changed my mind.
  16. S

The Hobbit Film

I gladly submit to the mainstream opinion about Jackson being a first-rate choice for the adaptations. Have you any support for your misguided views on this?
  17. S

How Possible Is Blade Runner?

Anyone who dreams about sheep is a deviant by definition. I'm not going to bother with the briefcase containing 'postcard' signed personally by Sir Riddles. However, I adore the film and will be watching each version one upon the other. Apparently the documentary on the making of is hot shit...
  18. S

Kirsty MacColl: The MI5 Connexion ?

Shane is just the latest pickled incarnation of the eternal pickler-troubadour carnating back through elvis, J Morrison, N Cassidy, J Joyce, all the way back to R Johnson... and beyond. Even my Papa drank wid him. You know my Papa? 'Nipper' de Whiskey..?
  19. S

Kirsty MacColl: The MI5 Connexion ?

Jayzuz, was that 7 years ago already? I still remember when an Irish friend told me she had died in that accident. Just couldn't get that lyric out of my head - "Happy Christmas yer arse, I pray God it's our last" Terrible. What a voice she had, what a spirit. Here's to Kirsty. May her Ma...
  20. S

Richard Dawkins

If you find Dawkins' atheism unreasonable and extreme, steer well clear of Christopher Hitchens. I usually respond to Dawkins these days by wishing he would give his ideological opponents a harder time, the big softy.
  21. S

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

What’s This Bloody Massive Thing In Greenland? Curious to know? I am. If, as the global warmists claim, the ices are going to be gone in a decade or two, won't it be interesting to observe as prehistory is unveiled before our very eyes? Should be some intriguing revalations afoot.
  22. S

The Mighty Boosh

:yeay: :yeay: Adore the Boosh. Would you like a pie? Noooo! But it is a good pie. Nevertheless, last time you gave me pie, I cut into it - with my tiny pie cutter - and millions of birds flew out hitting me in the eyes and temples. I was confused... it was a trick pie! Why you no like...
  23. S

STOP PRESS

Thanks for the link. Glad it blew your tiny mind. I watched it all and it was intersting in parts. The aviation history was quite fascinating, but there was nothing mind-blowing about the overall premise. Just the usual conspiracy fare. How tiny did your mind need to be for you to react "in...
  24. S

What Happened?

Thanks. Perhaps the folks that built it finished, downed tools and stood back to gaze upon their marvellous creation: "What's it for?" "Well, a few millenia from now, folks like us will have more time to dwell upon the curiosities of life. No need to get things done, just ponder until the...
  25. S

Crop Circles

What a Masterpiece! Trumps even Milk Hill '01. Sugar Hill, Wiltshire, August 1
  26. S

First Historical Flying Triangle Sighting?

I think he's simply photographing manned aircraft and the recordings of the reverse doppler effect are not really reversed. Are they? Or am I just not hearing things not correctly? It was an interesting slide show for an hour with some swoozy mp3s and a couple of pints of Guinness, but I see no...
  27. S

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

That was really something. I've been watching these for years, and that one had me. Whatever the circling lights were, the storm footage is fantastic. That would be Arizona? Dug the JC track too.
  28. S

Crop Circles

The answers to those questions are all obvious if one is interested enough to investigate the situation for oneself. I have no intention of crusading on behalf of people who believe in ETs. Any number of websites exist that provide deep and detailed interpretations drawn from various kinds of...
  29. S

Crop Circles

Really? Those BoLs must be bad ass mofos, Jones! Much rispek! Interesting. Warning high-pitched sound - take care if wearing headphones.
  30. S

Crop Circles

This is a new one on me. Tree circles. Now how did they do that?!
  31. S

Crop Circles

No spooky stuff, just the possibility that electrical charges from descending water tables, microwave anomolies and such may have created the simple formations of the early phenomenon which resourceful and creative people have since appropriated for their own ends - whatever those may be. I...
  32. S

Bees

Norm Mailer's latest novel, The Castle in the Forest, is about Adolf Hitler's father, an apiculturist (beekeeper) told from the perspective of his devil-in-attendence. I had no idea the secret life of bees was so engaging. The novel goes into great depth about the society of bees and I think is...
  33. S

Crop Circles

:) Yes they do, but they 'Ave-bury ed the facts of construction with Overtons of mystery. We Kennet get at the truth, of which there are Longbarrows as yet undiscovered. So many questions. Shame people are so easily gulled into surrendering their sense of wonder by the ever cynical media...
  34. S

Crop Circles

It's happening again. The first one is down at Oliver's Castle in Witshire (site of the infamous cc creation video hoax of last century). This link shows some quite interesting geometric analysis on page 2. This is a huge design (well over 300 ft in diameter), and sits in oilseed rape - a...
  35. S

First Historical Flying Triangle Sighting?

Bruce Cornet's powerpointon the Pine Bush phenomenon of the '90s. Lower Hudson Valley, NY. Worth a look.
  36. S

Threads (Nuclear War Film)

CURSES! Just found it a few pound cheaper at sendit uk. Might serve others interested though. edit: I can't believe it's only got Dolby 2.0!! Best soundtrack in the world! 2.0 !!??
  37. S

Thankyou muchly for that tip, Heckler. I'm stunned, shocked and amazed that this has come in so suddenly. I have been checking the net every few months for years and years and years. Just ordered it. I'm spending just under $50AUD to have it sent from amazon.uk ASAP, but it's worth it...
  38. S

Anyone see Wim Wenders' Until The End Of The World (1991)? I hadn't really thought of it as a nuclear film as such, because it wasn't about a war. Probably my favourite film, but most others I know who saw it thought it was a self-indulgent overblown bore. I thought it was a genre-defying...
  39. S

ROBERT ANTON WILSON R.I.P

Damn. A redwood has fallen. On my birthday too. Damn. This man's ideas will become ever more relevant in years to come. His work should be core curriculum in high schools the world over. I wish I'd read him as a teen instead of the dingwood bumstead authors we had to drag our bored arses through...
  40. S

Melbourne Murder Mystery

Yes, it's possible though that the cops are withholding some of the details in the hope that citizens with information come forward in confidence, and won't be put off by the threat of the 'family' factor. If she was murdered, and if there's a motive for premeditated murder and this was not some...
  41. S

Melbourne Murder Mystery

Melbourne's probably what happened to her. The usual garden variety gangland violence has turned into a vengeance rampage over the last two years. I know I'll get howled down for this, but when I see names like Lauria, I don't spend too much time wondering. She could've just been unlucky of...
  42. S

That 3 AM Feeling

Know where yer coming from. Love 3am for all the reasons listed on the thread. But maybe also... I recently learned that I was born at 1am on a hot summer night, which is probably why I feel cheated out of some life if I don't at least stay up til then. I'm kinda partial to 4:20 too. Anyone...
  43. S

Real Demons? (Actual Encounters With Demonic Entities)

Interesting take on the topic, Doc. Christians talk of inviting Jesus into their lives, of being filled with the holy spirit of God in order to live full and virtuous lives in the name of love and goodness. Makes as much sense to those who believe that's possible to theorise that there are...
  44. S

Comets

Just got back from the beach in front of Seacliff yacht club and there's hundreds of people down there gawking at it. The telescope didn't add much to the spectacle. Tail was very impressive with the naked eye. Glad I got to experience it, since it will never be back. Good one, McNaught. It'll...
  45. S

The Kirkby Spaceman (Kirkby's Urban, Too!)

If it wasn't Ziggy Stardust himself, it was almost certainly attributable to some teenage glam rock fan sporting a tinfoil zipsuit, a built up frightwig and 12" platforms.
  46. S

Soviet Saucers

Those are clearly American actors. I mean, not one of those 'Russians' is smoking... come on.
  47. S

Weird Weather

(Nope. You prefer pink on lilac? :) )
  48. S

Weird Weather

These things happen: 1913
  49. S

Japan

Y'think? I can see the follow-up headlines now: Japanese students in bullying shocker Ministry caught completely off guard Education boards continue to bury heads in sand :evil: I worked in South Korean education for a few years. Let's just say that it'd be far more difficult for the...
  50. S

Aleister Crowley

YouTube can be a goldmine. Aleister Crowley: Boleskine House I have a biography on Bowie that describes a meeting between Bowie and Page in one of Bowie's girlfriends' 5th floor flat (around 1973 I think - I can't find the book, so memory has to serve). They stared each other down in a...
Back