• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. I

Terraforming

This Article in Space Daily announces a new book on Terraforming. The opening paragraph reads: Terraforming other worlds may take decades to accomplish, and the go-ahead may still be centuries away. So why does such a far- out topic deserve an entire book? What possible value could such a...
  2. I

Justice Antonin Scalia

A news story from America about this Supreme Court Judge who Michael Moore was sure should have recused himself from the Florida Recounts case I thought that Supreme Court Justices were supposed to be above suspicion
  3. I

Welcome Home from Guantanamo Bay

This is a difficult thread to find a home for. Here is probably closest. Today the BBC launched a dicussion of the return of British nationals arrested as "terrorist suspects" during the Afghan War and held since in Camp Delta (Guantanamo Bay). During this they launched a phone poll to find...
  4. I

Right wing views on conspiracy

These quotes from calypsoparakeet were posted on the "US Going into Pakistan" Thread The ideas expressed here seem worthy of their own thread rather than derailing another. As such I have taken the liberty of starting this thread. The views on conspiracy here are not those normally found in this...
  5. I

Projectile Faeces

The article here may be of great interest to Captain Buttock This snippet from "New Scientist" no.2425 13 December 2003 Martha Weiss studies caterpillars; specifically those of the silver spotted skipper, yellowy green and common in the US. One day alone in the laboratory with her subjects...
  6. I

A Hypnagogic Dream? ... Perhaps Not

There was a small party night before last and the 4 of us fell to telling ghost experiences. One in particular was very interesting. The teller was lying in bed when he literally felt a presence in the room. This presence gave no impression if being inimical but interested. Then he felt a...
  7. I

Box Jellyfish

In a recent issue of New Scientist there was an article on Box Jellyfish. firstly it seems that there are far more species of them than originally thought secondly undiscovered forms of them may be responsible for far more deaths than recorded First see this article from News in...
  8. I

The Newest Divinity?

Could we be missing something? Could this be the first sign of the 2nd Coming???? Natural wonders prove Kim Jong-Il's divinity SEOUL (AFP) - A story about a "natural wonder" surrounding North Korea's supremo Kim Jong-Il has been spreading like a legend in the communist state, Pyongyang's...
  9. I

Early God

Has any one else seen this picture of an early South American deity? ( full story here ) does anyone else think it looks like a vampire
  10. I

Human(e) Elephants

From the Daily Telegraph Elephants 'free captive antelope' By Christopher Munnion in Johannesburg (Filed: 09/04/2003) South African conservationists are baffled by the behaviour of a herd of elephants which appeared to raid an enclosure on a private game reserve "deliberately" to...
  11. I

Nancekuke

I'm not sure if this should go here or in Conspiracies - Mods Feel free to move it if you like Nancekuke: or more properly now RAF Portreath: was a site used during the 1950's and 60's for the manufacture of chemical weapons - purely so that research could be carried out into how our troops...
  12. I

Negative Image (Magpie with Inverted Color Scheme)

My work enables me to drive about and yesterday I saw a most unusual Magpie. It was not an albino but was a magpie in negative. The majority of it's plumage was white but it had black flashes on its wings and tail. I'll try and get a picture. Does anyone know how common this sort of thing is?
  13. I

The Beak Of Justice

This one is for beakboo Hero Bird's Evidence Lands Murderer Behind Bars Wed February 19, 2003 10:07 AM ET DALLAS (Reuters) - A hero cockatoo slain trying to protect its master from knife- wielding assailants proved the star witness in the trial of one of its owner's killers. The rest of...
  14. I

Strewwelpeter and other horrors

In Chat someone has just started a thread about Long-lost Childrens Books and the subject of Strewwelpeter came up again. For those who don't know Strewwelpeter is a collection of cautionary tales from Germany. They are particuarly horrifying and I wonder how many others have read it or if...
  15. I

Feudin' and a fightin'

Ok, so we know the jokes about the backwoodsmen of Kentucky; duelin' banjos and all; but THIS STORY seems to be too good to be true. One note and a word of warning: there is no mention of the aliens actually being aggressive; and there is a film being made about this - so perhaps it is all...
  16. I

Old Man's Face Infested With Ants

An item from "Breaking News" from NBCsandiego Man's Face Infested With Ants Home To Pay Family Nearly $1 Million UPDATED: 2:35 p.m. PST December 29, 2002 SAN DIEGO -- A case of elder neglect has been settled in North County. The face of a 92-year-old Alzheimer's patient was infested...
  17. I

Guanabara Bay (Brazil) Amphorae: Evidence Of Romans?

I seem to recall that there is somewhere on the South or Meso American coast a place where the remains of amphora's (amphorae???) are found
  18. I

The Zeal of the Converted

This item caught my eye in Breaking News The story here My question is, if the community was so religious how come he could make a living as a sex shop owner?
  19. I

Strange compulsion

I recently put message in the Poetry thread with a little Haiku (a Japanese poetic form 3 lines totalling 17 syllables). Ok so perhaps it wasn't very good perhaps it was but the circumstances of writing it seemed a little Fortean for I was compelled to write it and compelled is not too strong a...
  20. I

Mobile Phones: Blessing Or Curse?

This item from BBC Science News is a report that Mobile Phone transmissions could well affect human cells. So are they going to prove a sort of "tobacco" for 21st century courts?
  21. I

Questions Regarding Evolution

I have just read a fascinating article in Nexus about problems faced by evolutionary theory. I cannot post the article yet, they have not yet put it on their website, so selected highlights will have to do. I do not necessarily agree where the author, Lloyd Pye, is going but the questions he...
  22. I

The evidence required for proof.

The Jehovahs Witnesses have, apparently, been the subject of Child sexual abuse allegations. Their response . . . . . .(full article here ) Now assuming the broadest possible definition of "witness" allowable to the JW (psychology is a no as is much of DNA evidence) How's this going to help?
  23. I

Bad Conscience or Realism?

I came across an article in th Independent yesterday, headlined quoting an article in the psychological journal "Dreaming" which implied that Republicans had more nightmares than Democrats. I did a google and found the original authors page on the matter. This had a slightly different take on...
  24. I

Death (Deliberate Execution) By Stoning

Found this item in Arizona Republic, but copied from New York Times. The content is nasty and although I am not more against one religion rather than another it is this sort of conduct which makes me glad I am not a follower of the Prophet. Does anyone know of how this conduct is either...
  25. I

Mormon History

This showed up in "Breaking News" Link to the full article Now, I'd never heard of this massacre and to be frank am unsurprised that the Salt Lake police say that evidence about BY is a fake (query How can you compare engraving to handwriting?) but were the Mormons truely that violent...
  26. I

'Steve Huey's' shooting tumours tale

This article posted in Breaking News from DPX News Last Chance, TX(DE)- Amazingly the act to end one’s life ultimately saved it. "Steve Huey" was suffering from an inoperable and fatal brain tumor. Doctors had given him only two months to live, so Huey decided to end it sooner rather than...
  27. I

Basque Culture / Language / History

There is a fair amount of evidence that Basque fishermen exploited the Grand Banks back in the 15th century and may well have overwintered in Newfoundland.
  28. I

Human Singing: Beginnings & Evolution

This thread was stimulated by an broadcast on Radio 4 this morning. When did we begin to sing? Not make music but to sing. Evidence for musical instruments goes back about 40 ky but we seem to have had the vocal equipment to sing for about 300 ky. Paintings in the French caverns seem to...
  29. I

Oldest (Known) Record Of A Solar Eclipse?

Just posting this for information and possible comment. From Astronomy.Com Science News click here for full text.
  30. I

Not So Much A Skeleton In The Closet ...

I have just been looking at reports of the Excavations at Cladh Hallan in South Uist. There are remarkable reports of burials within houses. The original article from archaeology@sheffield Another report (not yet on the net) from BBC History magazine adds that the lower jaw in the...
  31. I

Scared of Their Own Shadows (Brightening Fearsome Forests)

I am no great fan of the Forestry Commission - large tracts of pine woodland in regimented rows - but this does seem to be going a bit too far Ananova : Forests to become friendlier to combat 'Blair Witch' effect The Forestry Commission is brightening up its forests...
  32. I

The Fastest Urban Legend?

Today I heard offered, quite seriously, the UL that the Queen Mother actually died some weeks ago but that the death was kept secret because the didn't want to clash with Princess Margarets Funeral. Thats got to be the quickest
  33. I

Serial Killer Action Figures

Gotta catch 'em all (serial killers) The following from ABCNews.com. Would you give your loved one a doll like this? Murder Incorporated Denver Sculptor's Serial Killer Action Figures Bringing in Profits and Raising Ire By Bryan Robinson March 25 — Serial killers have breathed new...
  34. I

90,000 Years Wasted?

Given that *Modern* man is about 100,000 years old, how is it that s/he only developed civilisations in the last 10,000
  35. I

Anti-Matter / Antimatter: Production

The following article implys that Anti-matter production is being actively persued. Given that it is a wonderfully compact way of storing energy it is essential to spaceflight or knowing how the military can use anything that goes bang. The question is "Is this a good idea?? report at Space.com...
  36. I

The Anglo-Saxons

According to this article the anglo-saxons had some quite interesting ideas. I rather like the idea of very competetive swimming. Edit To Add: Here is the text of the short 2002 article.
  37. I

Physiological weather forecasting

"Weather" forecasting The following article from icNewcastle makes you kind of wonder what sort of ability is being used here? One in four 'can forecast the weather' Mar 11 2002 By The Journal An uncanny knack of knowing when to pack an extra woolly without seeing the weather...
  38. I

Parallel Universes

Any comments? this is a fairly complex article about parallel universes. Anyone think that the idea that we can *never* detect them is like Relativity saying can never have anything travelling faster than light?
  39. I

Electromagnetic Signals Exceeding Light Speed?

This article published by UPS worries me. The report is rendered difficult to believe by the erroneous description of superluminal light transmission (what they are discribing is slowing down of light). So is this report believable? Faster-than-light electric pulses Published 1/21/2002...
  40. I

Pentagrams in Church

I saw this in Breaking News (Source Ananova) Church considers changing star over links with witchcraft A Suffolk church is considering removing the Christmas star on top of its tower following a complaint that it's a symbol of witchcraft. The five-pointed star was made by craftsmen in...
  41. I

Flying UL's

This news report is in Breaking News Woman complains after sealed to toilet seat during flight An American woman has filed a complaint against Scandinavian Airlines after a high-pressure vacuum flush sealed her to the toilet seat of the plane on a trip to the United States last year. The...
  42. I

Christian, Jewish, Islaamic and now Hindu Fundamentalists?

I saw this in Breaking News. What is it about these extreme interpretations of religion do they fill some sort of need in the human psyche?
  43. I

Near-Death & Out-Of-Body Experiences

Near Death Experiences - Living proof or not? There's a lot of text to this article but it and its sister report here make interesting reading. I'm supprised no-one has posted about it before. Do NDE's really show us survival of awareness after death? New Scientist quoted in Yahoo News...
  44. I

456 - HOW many saints?

I was listening to the World Service earlier tonight when they popped out the statistic that Pope John-Paul II has created 456 saints in his time in on St Peters throne. Of course I can find no independant verification of that (The Holy See's web page search didn't seem to be working). Even so...
  45. I

Non-Lethal Weapons

'Sonic bullet' could disable hijackers US security chiefs are testing sonic bullets which can harm and confuse plane hijackers without endangering the aircraft. This report from Ananova seems to bring in the era of true ray-gun type weapons
  46. I

Cat Haters

In Breaking News 4/11/01, The Telegraph same date, and Nando News 8/11/01 (which quoted) ..... Another project, known as "Acoustic Kitty," involved wiring a cat with transmitting and control devices, allowing it to serve as a mobile listening post. A heavily redacted 1967 government memo...
  47. I

Ink monkey

A few years ago the press reported that specimins of the fabled Chinese Ink Monkey had been found. as of today I can seem to find no further references to them. Is there anybody out there who has more information? Knock once for yes.
Back