• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. C

Let Me In

I've heard from a friend who is a big fan of the original that this remake is even better - very similar in tone with better set-pieces and better acting. One in the eye for the remake haters, but there we go, it has to work out some time. Loved the book. Very interesting take on the genre...
  2. C

Eerie East London

I spent a couple of years living in East London, for my sins (as close in as Bethnal Green and as far out as Walthamstow) and it IS a strange place, although the twin factors of urban decay and hipsterness rub uncomfortably against each other a bit too much and take the edge off any real...
  3. C

Solstice (Movie)

I saw this film last night. Quite good. It's a remake of a Danish movie called Midsommer IIRC
  4. C

Charlie Brooker's DEAD SET

Friend of mine went to a review screening and absolutely loved it
  5. C

One Eye Grey

It appears that the latest issue of One Eye Grey is either out or coming out soon: details are on the website. http://www.fandmpublications.co.uk/pages/oneeyegrey.htm It's a London penny dreadful - some excellent ghost stories and folk tales in the last issues. FT gave them a favourable...
  6. C

Haunted Mansion

There could be many reasons why he'd taken out a mortgage. Someone with a sound business mind probably wouldn't buy an expensive property outright if they thought it was going to plummet in value. I don't think this is the reason for the story. Maybe to raise his profile, or maybe he just...
  7. C

Scully and Mulder return!

What an enormous disappointment it was.
  8. C

Male Circumcision

although how many people WOULD talk about it, even if they were very happy with it? "Let me tell you all about my unadorned glans. No knob cheese for me, no sir." *sound of teacup being dropped*
  9. C

Alan Moore's Watchmen

Robert Downey Jr isn't playing The Comedian, though. I think it looks amazing but MY GOD, that music. It's as if the early part of the 21st century never happened.
  10. C

Male Circumcision

Out of interest, how do you feel about the numerous families who take their baby sons to be circumcised outside of any religious requirements - for reasons of health and hygiene?
  11. C

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

*penny drops* I think that allowing cookies may end your pop-up woes.
  12. C

New Madness album Psychogeography extavanganza

First Jah Wobble, now Chas Smash. What is it about E. London's psychogeographical heritage which appeals to reggae-influenced ex-punks with silly names?
  13. C

Futurama - Bender's Big Score

I watched this the other day. Has anyone seen it before? Absolutely hilarious. I won't give anything away but it revolves around a group of web scammers and time travel. Mark Hamill cameos as the Chanukah Zombie, Al Gore as himself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender%27s_Big_Score
  14. C

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

This got me thinking. How many word-for-word remakes of movies have there been?
  15. C

Faceless Aliens at Wimbledon (Viral Marketing Weirdness)

It's called "guerilla marketing" and is a particularly irksome product of the late 90s
  16. C

UnCon 08

I once stayed in a hotel on Regent Street because it was free and I was reviewing it, for one night. It was excellent, and so nice to be able to get up 20 mins before I had to be in work, and there was a Gary Rhodes restaurant downstairs (with quite average food), but meh, I won't be doing it...
  17. C

UnCon 08

That's because it's on Regent Street. Rich imbeciles tend to stay in hotels directly on Regent Street. I just did a search for "b&b london" and found a website called London30.com which has scores of places from 30 quid per person, per night, all in and around the centre, no more than 30...
  18. C

Strange Days - Your Views Wanted

Scream! Strange Days is my favourite section of the mag, but I think that this is mainly down to the quality of the writing (which is, in Sidelines and the smaller articles, thoughtful, witty, elegant and, simply put, cracking journalism). It's illustrated well, nicely designed, and has a...
  19. C

The South Shields Poltergeist

This simply isn't true, I'm afraid. Any newspaper staffer will tell you that the bulk of stories in a daily come from press releases, given a spin or a news angle. Presumably the publishing xompany here gave a press release to the paper. If the story has been written to catch people's...
  20. C

Eurovision

I missed it, boo, on account of being in Italy. I liked the French entry and was disheartened to hear he didn't win (he is a favourite musician of mine, his last two albums have both been boss) but I quite like Russia as well. I'm pleased the Swedes didn't win as predicted, they can do so...
  21. C

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I assumed that the recent reliance on gay storylines was simply a recognition of the fact that Doctor Who is - and always has been - so camp that it makes Liberace look like Eddie Bunker
  22. C

FT236

I noticed that too. But was there also a sense of, ah, deja vu? ie hasn't it been in there before? I think I spotted the name of another poster (ex-poster) there too - am I right?
  23. C

Tripping Hither, Tripping Thither, The Rise Of The Fairies

I went to university with a guy who only wrote about fairies. He would take a concordance to an author's work from library, see if they ever used the word "fairy", find it, then see how he could write about fairies in relation to Jane Austen, etc. I don't know why.
  24. C

[REC]

I saw this movie and enjoyed it. Particularly the end, which is rather unsettling. Sadly, the trailer for the remake kind of spoils the ending!
  25. C

Iron Maiden do Crowley film

Simply Googling the title of the movie gleans plenty of information on it, which means you can put that blowtorch of cynicism back in your pocket for another day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_W ... %28film%29 I think it looks pretty awesome
  26. C

(OP-Deleted IHTM Set Of 3 Stories)

Hmm. The assumption is that the father is one of those people who gets freaked out by tattoos (and Goths, etc). Many people don't, even if they are not the kind of people who would get tattoos themselves. I was very freaked out by the man I saw, and I'm not remotely freaked out by extreme...
  27. C

(OP-Deleted IHTM Set Of 3 Stories)

Re: 1. ufo? 2. the devil? 3. Paranormal activity? Great first post, thanks for sharing, and welcome to the board! This story in particular intrigued me as it reminded me of something that happened to me in London a few years ago. I was walking from Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square...
  28. C

Subscription Problems

Yes. The magazine sanctions. Don't tell me you didn't... Oh my God, I can't believe nobody told you about this! :shock:
  29. C

Y'know, sometimes words have no meaning

Actually no PeniG, I didn't misunderstand you at all - I was referring very specifically to what you talk about in your second paragraph there. "So many meanings simultaneously" etc. This is a frustrating thing for users of any language and theorists alike, but we are at least lucky speaking...
  30. C

Help: Short UK-Set Ghost Novels

Hi, In a recent issue of FT (possibly Dec last year) there was a review of a couple of short novels, with supernatural themes, set in the UK (possibly London). The publishing house may have been called Grey something, I'm really not sure. Can anyone remember this and if so, could you spare...
  31. C

Y'know, sometimes words have no meaning

Hey PeniG. I think the fundamental error with that argument is the confusion of "meaningless" with "having a meaning which has changed, or has multiple meanings based on context, delivery, and origin". Words change their meaning on an hourly basis - the two which spring most immediately to...
  32. C

Banned Music

I don't think many songs will be banned for lyrical content nowadays, particularly not for "subversive" lyrics, unless it's about something which just about all elements of society balk at (sexual abuse, religious or racial intolerance, etc). For example, a song like Harrowdown Hill by Thom...
  33. C

Pancake Day

You're right, of course, but our lemon groves and sugar cane plantations are the finest in Europe. Second, in terms of national pride, only to our mushy pea mines and haggis forests.
  34. C

Pancake Day

Dutch pancakes are so damn nice. I like the ones which come a bit like pizzas with meat and cheese etc. all over them. Goddamn, Im hungry
  35. C

Pancake Day

Finnihs pancakes are quite robust, thick affairs, either fried nice and thick or baked in the oven and cut into squares, and they're very nice indeed. Secondly, Tove Jansson wrote in Swedish and so it sounds like the kind of thing a nice lagom-minded Swedish-speaking citizen would say - why do...
  36. C

Dogs in Reykjavík

OK. Dogs were "banned" up until the Eighties, but he told me that you could have one if you had a licence, which you paid for. People still got dogs without a licence though, apparently. He described it as being like a "Soviet commune"
  37. C

Dogs in Reykjavík

I'm meeting my Icelandic friend tomorrow. I'll ask him.
  38. C

A sceptic bewildered.

I think a combination of luck, skill and intuition, probably. Welcome to the board BTW!
  39. C

Russian Doomsday Sect (Pyotr Kuznetsov; Cave Habitation)

There's also the option that some of the cult members are honey fetishists who joined up when they saw the honey truck being loaded. "Who is this new couple?" "Oh they say that they also believe that the world will end in May. I wanted to give them a pamphlet but they say they already...
  40. C

Russian Doomsday Sect (Pyotr Kuznetsov; Cave Habitation)

1,000 lb of honey is 453,592 grams. In a level teaspoon, such as you'd use to sweeten a cup of coffee or add to a dessert or breakfast, there are about 15 grams of honey (I've just tried it, maybe my spoons are bigger or smaller than other posters', I'd like to hear more). Rounding down to...
  41. C

Illegal ad?

Can I just add - David, thanks for some very sensible comments! Also this made me laugh so much I nearly peed myself
  42. C

The Dying Seeing The Dead

Although, as I have nothing to add to this thread apart from pedantry and negativity, I'd like to point out that it does sound like a good story PeniG but isn't an "inobvious Chekovian gun" an oxymoron?
  43. C

The Dying Seeing The Dead

I once went on a stupid McMuffin hunt, ended up going all the way to Cirencester. Man, that was some hectic bud.
  44. C

Light/Object filmed on vigil

Ah but of course Swedish ghosts generally speak excellent English and are charmed out of hiding by a nice English accent. Excellent film Ringo! Very interesting. I'd go for flying insect myself, almost certainly, but you do create a nice air of suspense and interest in the film, which is...
  45. C

What's The Most Extreme Film You've Ever Watched?

I don't generally have a problem with violence in movies but Irreversible and Man Bites Dog both really, really upset me (which they were intended to do, I guess).
  46. C

BadGhosts

funny, you'd have thought that the people who dedicate so much energy towards exposing frauds would have known precisely what the difference between "not much" and "nothing at all" was :roll:
  47. C

Eurovision Song Contest 2007

The Swedish one is amazing, definitely the pick of the possibles (although I liked the camp Laibach-alike band - Gaibach if you will - who competed against them in the gothenburg heat of Melodifestivalen) but I'm not sure that it will win, although I really hope it does.
  48. C

BadGhosts

Is it just me, or is anyone else just getting a holding page?
  49. C

Love At First Sight (Kinda)

I fell instantly head over heels for a girl the moment I met her. It was odd, I wasn't looking for any romance at all, or even something casual, and neither was she, but as soon as I saw her I thought "crikey" and felt a jolt. Apparently she did too. We spent the whole evening talking, and...
  50. C

Out Of Place Crumpet

I believe that crumpets are made on a hotplate, where as English muffins (or simply "muffins" if you're in England) are baked in an oven on a sheet. Crumpets taste more like sourdough, they have a curious rubbery tang to them, whereas English muffins are blander in flavour and slightly...
Back