• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. liveinabin

FT345

I'm going to grumble slightly about the Pokémon Go article. First of all it is not a Nintendo game. Nintendo own a 1/3 of the rights to the characters and gave permission for them to by used by a third party. They have the sum total of bugger all to do with the development of the game. Lots of...
  2. liveinabin

Pay Up Or Wash Up

Similar happened to my parents in a hotel when they were on honeymoon. They were up early and went to the front desk to check out and pay the bill. They couldn't find anyone to pay so in the end they just left!
  3. liveinabin

Pay Up Or Wash Up

What I mean is that these are things that are referenced in popular culture as if they were still commonplace or normal. You say that you heard music in lifts and the dial tone when someone puts the phone down years ago, so not recent enough to make it a common experience then. (also you don't...
  4. liveinabin

Pay Up Or Wash Up

Really? I've been in lifts all over the world and I'm yet to hear any.
  5. liveinabin

Pay Up Or Wash Up

There are so many things like this though. I mean to keep starting a thread about them. Things like music in lifts, putting your occupation on your passport application, pictures of cottages on chocolate boxes and the dial tone when someone puts the phone down on you. You only ever see this in...
  6. liveinabin

Coincidences

I mentioned this is the thread for the current issue of FT but I will repeat it here. My maiden name is uncommon but not unusual. It is uncommon enough for me to notice when it is mentioned in print, on the credits of a film etc. I therefore noticed that it made an appearance early on in the...
  7. liveinabin

FT344

Now here is a nice little bit of synchronicity. Early on in the issue my maiden name is mentioned. It's not an unusual but it's uncommon enough for me to notice it. As I saw it I thought to myself, 'well of course to be Fortean my (equally uncommon) married name should be mentioned.' Three...
  8. liveinabin

FT344

I thought it was odd. It looked like it could have been her dress rucked up, but it just didn't quite work.
  9. liveinabin

Fortean Places

I did do a search and couldn't find a thread. And I wonder why I don't bother posting her much any more............................
  10. liveinabin

FT339

Oi - I don't have alien children, or dreamcatchers.
  11. liveinabin

Fortean Places

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-36024009 White lines painted around a boulder, thought to have been in place 11,000 years in an attempt to make it safer, have been described as an "eyesore" and "horrific" on social media. The stone in Soulbury, Buckinghamshire, was under...
  12. liveinabin

FT339

Got it here at Bin Towers too. I assume we all got three symbols on the lucky ticket?
  13. liveinabin

FT338

I thought this issue was rather meh except for Mike Dash's article. Even the had an article in the bit about the deformities that were forced on the children. (which I would have liked to have had a little warning before it as it was very graphic). To be honest the rest that I have read so far...
  14. liveinabin

FT337

We were taught about him at school Rynner as he was a local hero. We were also taught about the unfairness of the whole situation. A surprisingly scientific small village. The local school was founded by Robert Boyle - as in Boyle's Law.
  15. liveinabin

FT337

The best issue for a long time. Lots of interesting stuff in this one. I was very please to see Benjamin Jesty getting a mention, seeing as how he is a distant relative and I grew up in his home village.
  16. liveinabin

FT336

My mother bought me the Weirdstone when I was a child. I couldn't read it as the names or the two children are the same as my parents.
  17. liveinabin

Randomly Encountered & OOP Coins Or Currency

I never have that much change!! But you are right, the designs are interesting. And the question about them being legal tender - I don't think they are, but they are the same size and shape as British coins and you could give and receive them in change without noticing. Any way, here is...
  18. liveinabin

Randomly Encountered & OOP Coins Or Currency

Nothing too odd but I thought I would share a couple of occasions when coins have randomly appeared. About 10 years ago I went to Japan with my husband. We were waiting in the departures of Heathrow when I left him sitting with our bags while I went to the toilet. When I got back my husband...
  19. liveinabin

FT334 - Fortellings

I found the Virgina Wolfe article dull and tenuous to be honest. The rest of it was interesting enough though.
  20. liveinabin

Interesting find in attic thread on another forum - includes unusual animal remains

The picture isn't unusual - I was just pointing out that that is the post where she talk about the unusual find. I really don't understand why so many people are getting funny about them filming. If someone asked me that I wouldn't give it a second thought.
  21. liveinabin

Interesting find in attic thread on another forum - includes unusual animal remains

This thread starts out as rather dull - a person wants to come and visit the house where they lived as a child because some bad happened there. However, the OP then goes on to say that this was her parents house and now hers and they have stripped it back to the bare brick and recounts the...
  22. liveinabin

FT330

I will confess that I've not seen it. I'm hoping it will be a sleeper hit. Still, even if it tanks, he made a godamn film and got in on general release.
  23. liveinabin

FT330

Glad to hear that you liked Maggie, Ramon. It was directed by my cousin FACT! I like the item about the Hobs. A good mix of articles in this issue.
  24. liveinabin

FT329

I have the same complaint. I have had not one free gift in the 15 years since I subscribed.
  25. liveinabin

Coincidences

I run in the morning and tend to listen to podcasts as I do. Usually it just starts to play the next one but as this one was the last in the list so there was nothing else to play. As i had about five minutes to go I selected a song. It finished just as I got back and the next song started to...
  26. liveinabin

FT327

I'm not complaining. Interesting forgotten history stuff, but doesn't quite fit the remit.
  27. liveinabin

FT327

I'm only half way through and I agree, a good solid issue. I found the oscillation article interesting but I'm not sure how it fits in with Forteana though.
  28. liveinabin

The Enfield Haunting

I enjoyed it. I like the way that it was all left rather open, it could have been the children. Things like the curtain strangling Janet all took place outside of the sight of adults.
  29. liveinabin

FT326

I think the problem Pete is that Forteana is a very broad church. I personally can't be bothered with UFOs but to many that is the cornerstone. In every recent issue there has been at least one article that I have go so far though and then just not bothered finishing. I think I read every...
  30. liveinabin

FT326

The one about politicians rubbed me up the wrong way. I liked the stuff about the earlier politicians but talking about current ones pissed me off rather. Firstly the author seemed to be very pro Gove, that makes me take a dislike to someone from the start. Then he was very dismissive of the...
  31. liveinabin

Does anyone want FT 150 to recent issue?

I decided to get rid of them by realising that I have never yet felt the need to refer back to them. Also, I was thinking about getting some proper document storage boxes and putting them in the loft. Thinking about it that seemed a daft thing to do. What is the point in keeping them really?
  32. liveinabin

Does anyone want FT 150 to recent issue?

I'm having a clear out and I've decided to ditch my old FTs. I've got all the issues from September 2001 onwards. If anyone wants them all I'll ask is the cost of postage. (or you can collect if you are in Suffolk). Thanks
  33. liveinabin

FT326

Has no one else had theirs yet, or am I the only person sad enough to start a thread? Mine arrived at Bin Towers on Friday. Vampires seems to be the main theme. Is there something going on with the light levels at FT HQ? I ask because so many pictures seem to be printed too dark. I had to...
  34. liveinabin

Misremembered Memories Thread From Another Site

They do that without asking though Gray. As a rule Mumsnet don't like the Daily Fail. I do like the logic of flying being a memory of being carried, especially being carried downstairs as you are likely to be carried downstairs until an older ages than being carried in general. I only have...
  35. liveinabin

Now now Yith you are confusing Mumsnet with The Daily Mail. They are very different.
  36. liveinabin

Mumsnet to be precise. Interesting read - a lot of people who recall flying down the stairs, which one person suggests might be memories of being carried down the stairs. http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2333787-Do-you-have-any-memories-that-you-arent-sure-are-real Be polite about Mumsnet...
  37. liveinabin

FT324

Can I confess that I found this one of the dullest issues in a long time. Other that the one about the farm I can't recall a single article in it. This may say more about me than anything else though.
  38. liveinabin

FT323

Same here. I just couldn't read it.
  39. liveinabin

Pregnancy / Contraception / Birth Control: Fact vs. Fiction

A friend of mine got pregnant without having actual sex, just foreplay.
  40. liveinabin

FT323

To me that just looks like lens flare from the light on the bridge.
  41. liveinabin

FT323

Am I alone in seeing nothing unusual in the picture of the moon over the bridge.
  42. liveinabin

FT320

I agree about the horror comic item. It didn't seem to tell me anything about them really.
  43. liveinabin

FT319

I might have a look in WHSmiths tomorrow and see if I've had it. They seemed to be coming every other week a while ago, and not I've not had anything for ages.
  44. liveinabin

FT319

I seem to have missed this issue entirely! What was on the front cover? I might be going mad and have forgotten all the articles.
  45. liveinabin

FT35

I just see that as proof that not one issue has ever been printed with a mention of Crowley.
  46. liveinabin

Culture-Bound Syndrome Or Folk Illness

I remember a thread on a popular website where someone was saying her French au pair :? was complaining that eating sandwiches for lunch was making her ill. The other posters on the thread agreed saying that if they ate sandwiches for lunch everyday then they would be ill too. Is this...
  47. liveinabin

Culture-Bound Syndrome Or Folk Illness

I agree. I especially dislike when people have a 'intolerance' but say they have an allergy. It makes people with real allergies seem whiney.
  48. liveinabin

FT318

I second the above post. A great issue.
  49. liveinabin

Spooky Mumsnet Thread

I love Mumsnet. It gets a very bad press. (You didn't start the thread did you? I talk to RP on MN quite a lot).
  50. liveinabin

FT318

Here too, just started to read it but I felt the need to come here and grumble only a few pages in. There is an item about Bolivia's government flipping the clock on their building over and getting to to run the other way. The article says 'a direction known elsewhere as counterclockwise...
Back