• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

Weird Creatures Wash Up In Russia [Globsters]

Don't know what to make of this. http://englishrussia.com/?p=251
  2. M

Blood Fall Research

Hello friends, I'm helping a friend research a book about strange North Carolina. The scope of my investigation is into the shower of blood and meat that fell on a Sampson county farm in 1850 and blood that rained on a Chatham county farm in 1884. I am aware of other, startlingly similar...
  3. M

Apparently, the spooks didn't evacuate.

I always knew New Orleans was full of 'em: Professional ghosthunters or folklorists would do well to collect as many first hand accounts of paranormal activity as possible. Don't look at me!
  4. M

The Trust Hormone (Oxytocin)

That's right, a hormone that increases trust in your fellow man: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2005/jun/02/science.research1 The implications are boggling.
  5. M

Thaumaturgy

From Wikipedia: Can someone help explain the intersection between thaumaturgy and coincidence or synchronicity? Does the above definition not stretch the canonical definition of "miracle?"
  6. M

Works for Me! (Methods of Divination)

I've been thinking about unscientific, non-causal methodology used for the purpose of divination. Although, as a (mostly) rational person, it's inconceivable to me that the movement of planets as perceived from our "fixed" location in space, combined with these planet's "personalities," can...
  7. M

Out of the corner of my eye

My friend lives in a haunted house. Nothing threatening; a pretty nice spook who occasionally indulges in a cigar or pipe--my friend and his wife smoke neither--who once played the piano for a good twenty minutes. I was over there playing music one night and saw him out of the corner of my...
  8. M

Scepticism vs. Credulity

Okay, not a sexy thread title. We often pause in many of these threads to discuss each other's perceived scepticism or credulity. Rightly so, I think. Let's do it here. First, a stipulation. Hopefully most of you will agree with me on this. A Fortean must negotiate the middle ground...
  9. M

Dr Emoto & Water Consciousness

Thoroughly fascinating.
  10. M

Children & Forteana

I just posted a story over in General Forteana about my daughter telling me of an injury before it happened. There have been several other Fortean events in my young children's lives. Once, I went to pick up my wife over at the massage therapist's, and took our young daughter. As we came...
  11. M

The Servant Girl Annihilator, 1885, Austin, TX

[Emp edit: Split off from the Jack the Ripper II thread: www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 184#493184 which is where the quote comes from.] We will when you start a thread on it!
  12. M

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

If, as is generally accepted, a ghost is a some combination of intense emotion, unfinished business, and ignorance of death--abetted by some sort of psychogeography--shouldn't the abandoned trenches of the Western Front be rife with spooks? American Civil War battlefields are replete with...
  13. M

Phone Calls From The Dead

Have any of you received a phone call from the dead? This phenomenon seems to be the analog of the "messenger" apparition, in that it interacts with the living as opposed to simply replaying an action regardless of circumstance. Often, the recipient is not aware that the caller is even dead...
  14. M

The Phaistos Disk

From a book I highly recommend, "Guns, Germs and Steel," by Jared Diamond (p. 239): "On July 3, 1908, archealogists excavating the ancient Minoan palace at Phaistos, on the island of Crete, chanced upon one of the most remarkable objects in the history of technology. At first glance it...
  15. M

The Mystery Of The Mary Celeste

(From a query about "ghost ships" in general ...) I don't think the Marie Celeste qualifies as a ghost ship, as it has never reappeared.
  16. M

Favorite Links

One of the things I enjoy most about this board are the links that occasionally appear--you know, the church made out of Lego, the sexy coffin calender...wonderful stuff. What are your favorite links that you found on this board? Here's a few of mine: Reverse Speech Communicating with...
  17. M

Anxiety

I normally avoid the sort-of "what's your demographic?" thread. However, I wonder if there's a connection (causal or not) with Fortean leanings and social anxiety/panic attacks. I myself have suffered occasional panic attacks for 15 years. I read Frater Libre's post admitting to same...
  18. M

Railway Ghosts

There was the ghost of Joe Baldwin, that haunted the tracks near Maco, North Carolina. Joe was a conducter, and was in the rear of the train when he realized the caboose had become uncoupled and was rolling downhill. He frantically waved his latern at the oncoming train, but to no avail. He...
  19. M

James Brown Sees Dead People

From The Week, August 9 issue: "James Brown gets squirrelly around electronic gadgets, says Philip Gourevitch in The New Yorker. The Godfather of Soul avoids televisions, he says, because he can foresee people's deaths when they appear on the screen. It happened the first time when he saw...
  20. M

New Ghosts?

Found an interesting site here. Mod Edit: Original link is dead. Archived link found via the Wayback Machine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20020724132627/http://www.pattiacord.com/encounters1.htm In it, there are several interviews dealing with paranormal phenomenon relating to the crash...
  21. M

Giant Shark Cryptid?

In reading Richard Ellis' "Aquagenesis" I came across this enigmatic passage. It was originally written by David Stead, an Australian ichthyologist: "In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfishmen at Port Stephens [New South Wales], when, for...
  22. M

Physical Contact with Ghosts?

This is meant to be a sister thread to "Anyone seen a ghost?" Stories of physical contact with spooks are legion. Hair-pulling, prodding, tripping, hand-holding, slaps, scratches, sexual encounters...I want to hear yours. For myself, I was sitting on the screen porch with friends, and...
  23. M

Muslims And Pigs

I don't think so. I do remember some gruesome tales from the French Revolution, when the severed heads of royals would soundlessly move their mouths, cursing the executioner. There were also parties, thrown by the royalty. One could only be invited if a friend or relative had been...
  24. M

Sigbins

Does anybody have any information on sigbins? Supposedly it is an animal the sucks the blood of small creatures (puppies and the like), and also likes eating...squash flowers!? They are Phillipino in origin, and are also apparently "owned" by someone possessing evil powers. Just read...
  25. M

Too Good To Be True?

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/43105.htm I direct your attention to the list of items captured by the ghost hunter in four hours. Who is this person? Can the pictures/video/audio be inspected? Does this person know she has attained the holy grail of ghost stalking--in FOUR...
  26. M

Archaeological & Other Scientific Findings Vs. Religious Texts

OK, not the "sexiest" thread name. There has always been interest in the "historicity" of religious texts like the Old and New Testament, the Koran, and the Sutras. Scientists and cranks alike have sought to either find the truth behind supposedly historical accounts, or buttress their own...
  27. M

Has Human Evolution Ended?

I am under the (humble) opinion that human evolution as we know it has ended. It's agent, natural selection, requires environmental isolation. This is no longer possible, barring cataclysm or space colonization. "Survival of the fittest" is irrelevant, as people who are weak or susceptible to...
  28. M

Cell-Phone Emissions Make Fat Worms!

From "The Week" Feb. 15-21: "Cell-phone emissions make worms fat and fertile Cell-phone emissions make worms bigger and more fertile, say British scientists. Why this happens is still a mystery, but the findings challenge the widely held belief that mobile-phone signals have no effect on...
  29. M

Banshees

OK, I'm mainly starting this thread 'cause there should be some ghosty stuff for us to look at every day. Right: what's all this, then, about Banshees? We on the other side of the Pond have no analog. Is this entity confined to our Irish cousins, and then only to certain familial groups...
  30. M

Fortean Art

OK, gang: There's a lively and fascinating discussion (splodgey painting...) about art, and Intaglio suggested a thread on Fortean art. What would define Fortean art? What examples are there of it--perhaps the Neolithic/16th century paintings of what could be UFOs? My breath is bated...
  31. M

Ghosts of Children

Anybody out there have any (halfway reliable) stories of spook kiddies? There was a great one from the mountains of NC about a glowing girl in white who followed unhappy travellers down the road--until she reached the limits of her graveyard. Read another on some site somewhere of a woman's...
Back