• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. L

Zozo...

The foul-language-spewing angry ouija board troll of my teenage experience was called 'Jojo'.
  2. L

National Rail Enquiries tweet

... and a little local humour ....
  3. L

And an update from the local rag: Police Believe It Was A Hoax
  4. L

India's Lepcha Tribe May Lose Kanchenjunga Ritual

The gods are angry .... [edit - to clarify - this happened in September 2011] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14965598
  5. L

Shepley had a big black cat report a few years ago too, I believe it made it into an FT ABC round-up, but I can't find anything about it online. By coincidence the last time I was down there, at the end of October 2011, a friend told me about 'pagans' practising in Shepley woods, which is a...
  6. L

Alien Lice Versus Knotweed

I think you might mean what we called 'Convolvulus' when I was a kid?
  7. L

The Placebo Effect

Morgellons!! *skritch*
  8. L

Dolls, Fetishes, etc., Used in Rituals

I don't actually know a lot about the doings of yer 'pagans', as such, but I expect trees in general do have a particular significance for 'em, with the whole 'nature' thing. Just about all systems of magic(k) use 'correspondences' - certain plants/stones/metals/colours/numbers etc signifying...
  9. L

Dolls, Fetishes, etc., Used in Rituals

I've done such things myself - I do do a little hoodoo from time to time. As you suggest, hair, personal effects, photographs and name papers are generally intended to establish a sympathetic link with the target. It may be possible to determine the intention of the working from the...
  10. L

Yearly Paranormal Camping Trip

Great write-up. More of this sort of thing!
  11. L

Scientific Publications

Sorry, it wasn't really a serious answer. Obviously they've known about SSRIs since the early 70s, but in my drug addled head that was less than 30 years ago. And neurochemistry existed before that, so it doesn't count. And it's probably just propaganda anyway. But fortunately I don't care.
  12. L

Weird Weather

This is supposed to be due to the 'rain shadow' caused by the hard rock of the granite 'dark peak' Pennines. The prevailing wind in the UK is apparently wet South Westerly and the clouds basically bang into the impermeable hills and dump rain. The lower, softer rock of southern hills, even...
  13. L

Tesco's gonna get ya

I hope they start selling pills and pot : I just got a Clubcard.
  14. L

Osama Bin Laden Is Dead

2 pin 240 (ish) volt plugs exactly like those plugged into the trailing power strip are common all over India and Nepal so I don't see why they wouldn't be in Pakistan.
  15. L

Curses Linked To Graves, Mummies & Artifacts

"Ghost Music" 1.30pm Tuesday 19th April 2010 on Radio 4 will feature an article on Tutankhamun's trumpets.
  16. L

buses that have "atmospheres"

No, just a very common grammatical error. I used to go to work by bus every day in Manchester in the late 90s/early 00s and I had a BIG problem with 'bus bully' paranoia, pointing and laughing kids and so on, and was suffering with such extreme anxiety generally at the time that I ended up...
  17. L

Being There

I'm not so sure. 'The great and the good' carrying the coffin into the groovy Illuminati crypt seem to be whispering and conspiring and scheming as to what happens now the 'kingmaker' is dead, while the increasingly impotent president drones the old chap's clever but essentially hollow...
  18. L

Richard Wiseman

I don't see any conflict with being a witch and a psychologist and someone who dyes their hair all at once, quite honestly. I just described myself as a 'materialist rationalist atheist ritual magickian' on the unecessarily intrusive 'equal opportunities' religion section of a job application...
  19. L

Weird objects found in India

Wow, yes, searching online there seems to be quite a lot of this model of scamming - message boards with people offering for sale and then (no doubt only seemingly different) people immediately replying offering crores of rupees for rice-pullers and other 'iridium' artifacts, obviously trying to...
  20. L

Weird objects found in India

It does sound a lot like the 'rice pulling' scam, which is usually used to steal antique coins and religious artifacts and to extort money (for 'testing' etc) from gullible villagers (it crops up in the papers here occasionally). Manipur is still pretty much a 'tribal' district and a...
  21. L

My Not-So-Secret Admirer

It's all pretty out in the open, so to speak. One of my colleagues when I worked at the place I mentioned earlier in the thread was a regular customer here on payday - http://www.salon24manchester.co.uk/ To be honest, in Manchester, unless you were looking for a 'happy finish' or had a...
  22. L

Alternative Medicine: Homeopathy

That'd be 'none', then ...
  23. L

My Not-So-Secret Admirer

It's too complicated to explain how I know this, but as far as I can work out, street, 'massage parlour' and club prostitutes charge for the service, and yes, you get one shot, and as they are often quite skilled in getting the job done as quickly as possible, you might well feel a bit hard done...
  24. L

My Not-So-Secret Admirer

Oddly, the only time I've been mistaken for a prostitute was by a woman. I'd been working late at the office, which admittedly was in a fairly notorious area of Manchester, and was waiting for a bus, when a rather shabby middle aged woman approached me on foot and asked me how much I charged as...
  25. L

What We AREN'T Being Told About Smoking

Yet another non-statistically-significant epidemiology meta-analysis result being plastered around the media to 'denormalise' smoking by adding to the 'overwhelming body of evidence' for the dangers of passive smoking. Wonderful. Drinking *is* next, incidentally. The BMA have decided on a...
  26. L

Richard Wiseman

Bereavement is a horrible, difficult thing. I'm not over keen on doctors giving out antidepressants like smarties, but they can help people get through a difficult patch until they get themselves back on their feet. It's hard to see how being lied to by cynical con-merchants or indoctrinated...
  27. L

Richard Wiseman

That is bang out of order. I expect you are a fucking Adonis/Aphrodite, are you? Cheap, nasty, vapid, grubby, irrelevant, immature and downright offensive comment.
  28. L

What We AREN'T Being Told About Smoking

I really am very down on ETS (secong hand / passive smoking) at the moment. Never mind 'third hand smoke' (being in a room where someone once smoked) and now 'fourth hand smoke' (being in the presence of someone who has been in the presence of someone smoking). I linked to this in another...
  29. L

Timekeeping (Clocks, Horology, Methods, Standards)

As someone pointed out on page two (can't be bothered to go back and look, sorry) the most annoying thing about that original article is that it suggests the true horror of the situation is that, should the proposal go ahead, it might make it a bit gloomy in London at 9am on the 21st of December...
  30. L

Addicted to Oranges

I think it's just good old fashioned extrinsic non-bacterial acid erosion. Nothing with a PH lower than about 5 is any good for tooth enamel. The enzyme in pineapple digests protein and is therefore worse for your gums than your teeth, and it is periodontal damage that generally makes your...
  31. L

Addicted to Oranges

The first time I remember hearing about it was this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/578945.stm There are a disturbing number of orange people around these days it seems to me .... admittedly I only ever see Brits who are out here for a 'winter sun' holiday, so they are not a...
  32. L

Thorpe Park, Surrey: Theme Park Ride Moved Because of Ghosts

Nice blog and cool number, cjr23 aka Polterwotsit :)
  33. L

The BBC & Television Licensing Propaganda

The BBC themselves have basically said 'if we told you how TV detector vans work ....... they wouldn't' - http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/10/3 ... -tv-d.html - and that technological detection of unlicensed TV use is only used in specifically targetted extra-tricky cases to obtain a search...
  34. L

Derek Acorah

Burroughs as a materialist rationalist? You're kidding ...... right?!!!
  35. L

SNOWPOCALYPSE NOW

Yeah, I don't know what all the fuss is about either. I got sunburn on my arsecheeks yesterday.
  36. L

Whats This? (Photo Taken During Fireworks Display)

.. or refracting in the plastic lens cover on the phone was my first thought.
  37. L

Cerne Abbas Giant

It's called Trendle Hill and it's an Iron Age hill fort IIRC. I visited it about 15 years ago.
  38. L

Questionably Authentic and Disturbing Cartoons & Cartoon UL's

Meh, it's not that bad! The histrionic ghost story style narration - the too-good-to-be-true super-high-quality silence and hyper-real graphics etc - is nothing short of poorly written drivel, and the schlocky descriptions of the 'real' images very sub horror movie or novel stuff. Could be...
  39. L

Cosmic Trigger Trilogy - yes or no?

I've only ever read the first one. It's pretty much autobiographical and nothing like Illuminatus! really, but an excellent book.
  40. L

Booze News

aka Nun's Delight.
  41. L

Burglaries & Other Crimes Facilitated By Toxic Gas Or Anaesthetic Agents

Similarly, the use of anaesthetic gas is a bit hit and miss, look at what heppened in that moscow theatre seige. I've a fair bit of experience with nitrous oxide and I really don't think that emptying a tank from a dentist's into an apartment through an open patio window or letterbox is going...
  42. L

Real Witch Praying

Plus, is she(?) really? Might well be, but it could be any number of things, frankly, no?
  43. L

The 'Bad Psychics' site

Especially when it's something you find being 'shopped about with on b3ta! (You know those 'change the depth of field' pics that make photos of real things look like photos of little models?) :D
  44. L

Depression

Gah, agreed. If someone would like to find me an emotionally rewarding job with just the right combination of pleasant interpersonal interaction and physical activity in a place with adequate daily sunlight, sufficiently well-paid to allow me a restful home and a diet of salmon and seeds ... oh...
  45. L

Tarot Experiment

Yeah I often forget physical in favour of financial with the Discs - the other interpretation was closer than mine, really, with the 'business problems', at least that's a bit more 'earthy'. All the 2s are a bit unstable though, as far as I'm concerned ... you can't juggle or hold two swords...
  46. L

Tarot Experiment

Depending on when it was, I may actually have been up a mountain with the monkeys on opium (about a year ago)! ;) I did say I was having just about every possible dream this week. This one stood out mainly because it was so distressing, the person in question is in the medical profession...
Back