• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. L

Children Investigate UFO Crash At School (Learning Exercise)

Their current teachers, however, may well have watched the X-Files during their formative years and wound up thinking this would be a great idea. I was an avid X-Files fan in my teens, and I have to admit my own teaching sometimes brings in elements of the unusual and Fortean. Like others have...
  2. L

Proverbs that do it for you - and those that don't !

The proverb attributed to Sufis, to make kings humble and to comfort those in crisis: 'This too shall pass'.
  3. L

Outer Space Legalities: Laws, Treaties & Legal Claims

UL. It makes it law that British people/companies need licenses in order to launch objects into space. It was so that the UK could keep consistent with it's obligations under the Outer Space Treaty.
  4. L

Strange Small Towns

I'm interested to hear about the serial killer too. My mum is from Johnstone and I was born and raised in Paisley and didn't hear about that! My mum always used to tell me that Chopin's ghost was supposed to roam Johnstone Castle. And Paisley itself saw one of the last major executions of...
  5. L

Anatomy 101

Although the actual journal article makes it clear that the ALL isn't newly discovered and was first described in 1879. Still comparatively recently, but predating the sort of intricate knee surgery we're used to, and where you'd expect it to have been noticed...
  6. L

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

In its defence, that hashtag was only started due to the astonishingly high number of "women always lie about rape" tweets that were being sent, naming victims of rape whose rapists had been found guilty, and generally stating that the victims deserved it anyway.
  7. L

Return Of The Giant Hogweed

They grew all along the river beside the house I grew up in. We were always warned to steer well clear of them. My dad and the resident's association used to cut them back down every few years and try to clear the wasteground round our houses. Used to get awful blisters because he would...
  8. L

Freemen On The Land / Lawful Rebellion

Ooh, that's a pretty low lawyer joke! :lol: Lawyers tend to work with the law as it exists, rather than claiming the law doesn't exist, or that their clients are somehow outside the law for dubious and/or bullshit reasons!
  9. L

Even if true (and the TL;DR is, it isn't true), one unconstitutional act does not render every single act thereafter unconstitutional! If it were, there would be no laws anywhere. Just think of the number of cases where the government has been found to have acted ultra vires or the US Supreme...
  10. L

A Healthy Attitude, or Portent of Doom?

Pantodragon's posts are best taken with a pinch of salt and a large measure of do not feed the troll...
  11. L

Jedi Religion

Jedi's are still the religious movement. It's just the Force that becomes a biological rather than a mystical phenomenon, but there's nothing about midchlorian's that says you have to dress up in a brown bathrobe and not get married in the name of upholding peace and order in the galaxy...
  12. L

Fortean Board Games? (Actual Fortean-Related Game Products)

And another one! I picked up a version of this at my primary school's Christmas Bazaar one year, didn't know what it was called until today though. http://thefwoosh.com/2012/10/tomys-migh ... -maker-kit
  13. L

Oh, and this one! Ludicrously complex and baffling, we never actually managed to successfully play this game until this year! http://classicmemories.co.uk/key-to-the-kingdom
  14. L

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this one (unless I missed it) http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/boardg ... nstein.htm The artwork on the board was great, and the box image used to give me nightmares.
  15. L

Vampire rabbis infect babies with HERPES

Can anyone explain why sucking on a baby's penis isn't illegal????? I can only imagine the reaction if sucking on a baby's foreskin was an essential part of, say, a Catholic Baptism...
  16. L

Geology and Wagner

You've never actually met any scientists in real life have you... No, I suspect that you're grand unified theory of "nothing in this world can possibly work, and everything that does work actually doesn't because my theory won't allow it to work" sprang fully formed, and breathtaking in its...
  17. L

Some Thoughts On The Origin Of Religion

The world waits with baited breath. Of course if we all took your advice now, we'd never get to read your continuation, since we'd give up on anything that looks remotely like progress, or anything that requires trial, error and practice to get right (like, oh, I don't know, reading & writing...)
  18. L

Are humans living beyond their competence?

Apart from all the bits of the universe from the micro to the macro that science manages to explain precisely how they work. But yeah, apart from a comprehensive, predictable, predictive and accurate understanding of the world, you won't arrive at any understanding of the world by looking at...
  19. L

Geology and Wagner

Which handily work. And how science works. And how the computer you used to write these terrible screeds on a website that manages to exist thanks to the sciences you reject also work. In fact, everything in use now exists thanks to the very principles you say are wrong and are...
  20. L

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

No, just that she's withdrawing her statement and further involvement, but not the veracity of the statement.
  21. L

I've had to deal with one in the context of a law firm. He charges approximately $1,000,000 for every "unlawful" use of the trademarked and copyrighted name of his strawman. Which he believes can be trademarked and copyrighted simply by putting TM and (C) after every use of his name. He has...
  22. L

9/11: The September 11th Attacks

Yes, precisely those ones. What's that, uber-religious types are prepared to do unspeakable things in the name of their interpretation of their religion yet conveniently turn a blind eye to other rules when it suits them and so behave hypocritically and yet are still fundamentalist. If you've...
  23. L

9/11: The September 11th Attacks

Sure, the US has enough firepower to destroy the world. And that will deter any enemy who gives a damn about staying alive to enjoy their victory. Now put yourself into the mindset of someone who not only has a fundamental belief that God guarantees they will win, no matter the odds, but also...
  24. L

Scientific Publications

Rubbish. Without understanding of relativity and the difference between time as experienced on Earth and time as experienced by GPS satellites, all GPS readings would be completely wrong, and get worse day after day. http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~po ... 5/gps.html Although Brian...
  25. L

Scientific Publications

Bollocks. Bollocks. Bollocks on stilts. You don't meet many scientists, do you? Mike Taylor. Peter Dodson. Steve Godfrey. There are three very big names in the field of paeleontology who are all extremely devout Anglican, Catholic and Evangelical Christians respectively. who are very very...
  26. L

crazy idea about the current bank crysis

OK, I can buy vanishing a staggering amount of money. But what prompts the leap in logic to it being a novel invention that levels the playing field in arms? There's nothing inherent in banking, or the need for money, that screams "it must be technological innovation in the killing arts".
  27. L

Osama Bin Laden, Area 51, Flying Saucers And The CIA

It's certainly close enough to the real thing to be a great spoof. Using three question marks in a row is a sign of a spoof or an unhinged mind.... If it is, lovely bit of mischeif by the person responsible! edited because I've just noticed a post mentioning suspensions for accusing people...
  28. L

Osama Bin Laden Is Dead

The handwringing is part and parcel of the central problem with the war on terror. In the name of justice and the rule of law, in the name of upholding our freedom, we have at various points over the past ten years violated the law, restricted fundamental freedoms, committed war crimes and...
  29. L

Incidentally, your points about the inconsistencies directly contradict everything you said before, as at the start you make the unfounded claims that he's alive and being (presumably anally) probed at Area 51, yet your 6 points accept that he's dead. What is he, Schroedinger's Terrorist?
  30. L

Done. I don't trust or believe a word you said. Thanks!
  31. L

Obama 'Birtherism' & Associated Conspiracy Theories

Question - whilst "one would expect" a single scan to produce one image, what happens in reality? Does replicating the above steps on any PDF image of a single page document produce 3 separate images, or only one? In other words, is this something unusual and unique to the released image, or...
  32. L

Isn't this the long form certificate that nobody, not even the President, could release to the public without breaking Hawaii's laws? So the President has decided the laws of the United States (or at least one of the States) don't apply to him? IMPEACH HIM!!!! This one is never going...
  33. L

Can't really comment on the other allegedly "unavailable", but unless the Islamo-Fascist-Homo-Atheist-Communist-UN-New-World-Order-Reptilian-Overlord enforcers have visited every law school in the US with their book burning flamethrowers (not to mention a sizeable number of others around the...
  34. L

I'm sure I read somewhere that it can't be released, because it no longer exists. The "long form" is a ceremonial, unnecessary document and since nobody sat down and said "y'know, might be worth hanging onto this in case your son decides to try for the Presidency in a few decades and some...
  35. L

Ghost Stories at Theatre - is the photo a real one??

Here you go: http://scienceofghosts.wordpress.com/20 ... g-ghost-2/ I remember it because it was taken in my home town!
  36. L

London Zion

You are the New World Order and I claim my personal fiefdom under our new reptilian overlords!
  37. L

Foundation X

I don't think he's claiming to have worked for the IRA and made his money off them though. I took it to mean that he was asked by the Bank of England to go into companies which were suspected of being fronts for IRA activities, and wind them down. So in some respects, for a short time, he was...
  38. L

Foundation X

I'm not convinced the British Government have the wherewithall to come up with a scheme that audacious, and to risk looking publicly foolish by backing a scheme they know from the outset is false in order to manipulate the gold markets? The detrimental effect to our international credit rating...
  39. L

Foundation X

I was thinking about this over breakfast this morning. So this company claims to have so much gold, that it actually exceeds previous estimates for the total amount of bullion mined. The UK government takes it seriously, which pretty much confirms the existence of the bullion. Gold prices...
  40. L

What Is The Truth About Chemtrails & Spraying?

Indeed they are. Chemtrails are dihydrogen monoxide, a particularly dangerous chemical that corrodes metal, is a major component of acid rain, is a by-product of many industrial processes, is a major component of many insecticides and pesticides, and post-mortems have proven it has been found in...
  41. L

Foundation X

Dear lord, that is quite the most inventive load of tosh I've had the privilege of reading in some time! I used to study UN Law, and nothing this organisation claims about the UN makes any sense. So either it's rubbish, or they are telling the truth and those of us less than a Head of State...
  42. L

The Cave To Conquer Your Fears

Sounds very similar in style to The Holders stories (which I first encountered via creepypasta).
  43. L

Enid Blyton

I wonder if it's because it has become more firmly identified with whisky than as being an adjective? A Scotch man, a Scotch city, a Scotch whisky all come from Scotland. An English man, an English city, an English gin(?) all come from England. But if you just say "English" then you probably...
  44. L

What Is The Truth About Chemtrails & Spraying?

Why phrase this is a question? Clearly you aren't interested in the truth objectively. What you really mean to say is "here is the truth about chemtrail spraying, from my subjective viewpoint". For you, it is a chemical conspiracy to harm humanity led by unidentified shadowy conspirators. Any...
  45. L

Running Candidate Palin Resigns

She married her husband because she got up the duff (abstinence education - it works!). She may not have perfect kids, but she wants to enforce by law behaviour she couldn't instill in them through family (abstinence education - it works a generation later, honest!). And the "liburul meedya"...
  46. L

Being Posh

But was it refused on the grounds you already have 3 Tescos in the local area, in which case it's more to do with a too dominant presence. Fear not though. They'll modify their planning permission and be back again by the end of the year. I have a friend who used to do property legal work...
  47. L

Quakers

I can safely say I could have lived my entire life without seeing Noddy Holder's nipple. :shock:
  48. L

Quakers

You'd be in good company then - I still find myself dozing off from time to time, and there's always the gentle snoring of at least one person each week. Apparently there used to be an officially appointed person in each meeting who would go around and wake those who were having a snooze. I...
  49. L

Quakers

Also outing myself as a Quaker, since YogiAgain started it! That's an absolutely gorgeous meeting house - love seeing buildings with thatched roofs. Though if you have a read of the Journals of George Fox, from the early days of Quakerism there was plenty that would have come close to the...
  50. L

Derren Brown: Master Mind-Manipulator

He mentioned on his Twitter feed this might be his favourite one so far. From the looks of the trailer I just saw for it, it seems like a plane is going to crash unless a member of the public makes the right decision. Now I don't think Derren's so confident in his abilities that he'd try...
Back