• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

Texan Monster Spider Web

I see a similar thing every autumn. It seems that all the baby spiders pick a few days to leave home and set up their own webs and the fields I walk through are completely carpeted with teeny webs. It's a beautiful sight in the early morning with the sunlight catching the dewy webs (as I...
  2. M

Ageing & Growing Old

This is one of the things that preoccupies me about growing old. As you get older, the number of things you do for the first time gradually gets taken over by things you do for the last time...I was thinking about this the other day as I ate some of my favourite food (delicious seasonal...
  3. M

Words and Phrases from Industry and Science

Eeee, I remember back when I was a student nurse, on placement in a neurosurgery ward. I thought it would be hilarious to say "Come on, it's hardly brain surgery" to the surgeons when they were talking about complex procedures. I must have used that phrase (or variants of) every day for 2...
  4. M

Dangerous Dogs

Just personal experience but I have never ever met a staffie that wasn't gentle and friendly. I've never seen one get into a fight and all the ones I've ever met have been really over-the-top soppy. My own dog is (most likely) a little bit staffie and he's the least aggressive dog you could...
  5. M

Freaky Video

All the clips are pretty obvious fakes but it still scared me even though I watched it in daylight. EDIT: Yes! The underpants are the best bit. I nearly fell off my chair laughing.
  6. M

"Mysterious" Infrastructure Objects

What's even more suspicious is that he followed me home and is currently pretending to be asleep in my back garden. :sceptic: (the dog, not Frobush [as far as I know :o])
  7. M

Oh yeah. Good point. :oops:
  8. M

Ah ha! Thank you: More info on this page from the same site too. I like this next bit. If you can hear an airship is only 4 minutes away, surely you'd be able to see it by then? :)
  9. M

I took some pictures of these concrete structures near Spurn Point. Further down the beach are rows of big concrete blocks which are apparently tank defences, presumably left over from the war. I'm curious what these big concrete bunker things are though and I can't seem to find anything about...
  10. M

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

I would not have realised that. The wig had me completely fooled. :)
  11. M

Bush Sr. really a reptilian?

It looks to me like his eyes are just reflecting two studio lights. I don't see any creepy effect (other than the fires of hell crackling in the background).
  12. M

When Dogs Attack

A dog - no matter how old - is rarely more than equivalent to a human toddler in its mentality so you just can't say how they'll react. And dogs come equipped with a sexual instinct and if they'll try and have sex with a rug (as I've seen many of them do!) they'll probably be more than likely...
  13. M

When Dogs Attack

Although it's a bizarre case it seems quite possible to me that the dog would do something like that without being trained. They're instinctive creatures after all and we all know a young male dog will try to hump anything - animate or otherwise. I'd still want the family investigated...
  14. M

Badger Forteana

Even a giant scorpion?
  15. M

Badger Forteana

I bet it's all a viral marketing campaign for the new summer blockbuster "Badgers on a Bus".
  16. M

Sepsis

Ah ha! I just remembered - it's called phlebitis. try searching for that and you might have more luck. EDIT: e.g: http://faculty.mercer.edu/summervill_j/ ... mage30.gif or: http://www.smw.ch/docs/images/coupoeil/ ... 1-02-k.jpg
  17. M

Sepsis

I dunno. I tried to find some pictures of it but I couldn't find any either. Maybe it's got some technical name I don't know about. I've always just called it "tracking infection". Incidentally, in case I wasn't clear - you can't actually see the lines moving or anything - they don't go...
  18. M

Sepsis

Sometimes you can see infection/inflammation tracking up a vein from wounds etc. It looks sort of like someone's drawn a blurred red line on you with a felt tip pen. Also, sometimes infection will cause sinuses (little tunnels in the body) to form as well which can grow inwards. Maybe this is...
  19. M

Cooking / Baking Competitions

Not any more. Talk about breaking a butterfly on a wheel. :roll:
  20. M

The Dying Seeing The Dead

Maybe if you'd used a Chekovian gun you'd have brought down that pesky McMuffin a bit faster.
  21. M

Cooking / Baking Competitions

Waiter! Sense of humour for table 5 please.
  22. M

What's The Most Extreme Film You've Ever Watched?

That was on telly last night! I watched it until I got too tired to stay up any more. I remember that lawnmower scene from last time I saw it though. Ick. I still think it's more comedy than horror.
  23. M

Let's Play 'TOP THIS!'

I'd like to hear about 2 and 3 please, thank you! :o
  24. M

Law, Psychology and Medical Students put on low floors?

It sounds to me like he went out the outside of the building. I've been trying to think of any windows that opened enough to get out of and the only ones I can remember are the ones on the stairwell. I have vertigo but I used to like scaring myself by looking down the gap. I remember there's...
  25. M

What's The Most Extreme Film You've Ever Watched?

I never knew nuns were capable of such things. :( *thousand yard stare*
  26. M

Law, Psychology and Medical Students put on low floors?

Topically, a medical student recently jumped to his death from the 7th floor medical library at Leeds University after failing his exams. :( It was the same library I used when I was studying. I used to look down the stairwell on the way out of the library and think what a long way down it...
  27. M

3 A.M. Weirdness

I can't believe you didn't answer the phone!
  28. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Don't say anything, Ryn. Because a) he won't appreciate you interfering, and b) because he won't listen anyway. These youngsters (;)) have to learn from their own mistakes, and he will realise soon enough if she isn't the one for him. Advice rarely works because people only listen to you if...
  29. M

Bubbles / Cones / Zones / Instances Of Silence (IHTM)

I seem to remember about 20 years ago someone invented a thing for cars that generated some sort of white noise that cancelled out engine noise. Possibly there's some sort of natural phenomenon like this (although it wouldn't account for all of the stories here).
  30. M

Animal-friendly meat

It has been in the news before, a few years ago now. I don't know why it's in the news again now - I can't see that they've made a great deal of progress. I can't see it catching on anyway. :wink:
  31. M

Spooky workplace

There's a very old tunnel under the hospital that I work in that runs from the main building to the old nurses' home. I've been through it once in daylight with two colleagues and it was creepy enough then. It's very roughly built and is long and dark with just a couple of below-ground-level...
  32. M

Ageing & Growing Old

Ha ha! Whereas we all know that in real life all old people are kind, jolly, razor sharp people with full, firm breasts, voices like angels singing and all their own teeth. (...says the nurse who has been verbally abused by 3 old ladies and an old man and who has had two little old ladies...
  33. M

Misperceptions

I did a night shift last night and at some ungodly hour of the morning I was walking down the long, dimly lit "Nightingale" style ward. I walked past an old lady's bed and out of the corner of my eye I saw someone's leg, as if they were standing next to the head of her bed. I did a double take...
  34. M

Performance Art

Hmmm, interesting choice of protest for a vegetarian, but then again, what's the difference between eating a dog and eating a cow?
  35. M

Alternative Medicine: Hypnotherapy

Yes! You won't know if you're coming or going. :shock:
  36. M

Pant-Wettingly Scary Public Information Films

Anyone got a decent link for this one? I can only find a really blurry copy of it on YouTube. I want to see the man's jaw fall off! :x
  37. M

Pant-Wettingly Scary Public Information Films

Watching Apaches has given me a stomach ache. :(
  38. M

Misperceptions

Ha ha. I was going to use that pun but I decided it was too cheesy! :D Here they are in all their glory: It was hard to get a good shot, being so close to the ground and all. (I have a feeling that location will be very familiar to a couple of board members...)
  39. M

Misperceptions

This isn't exactly a misconception but just me getting carried away really. I was walking through a field taking the dogs for a walk a week or two ago when I noticed that there were 3 or 4 perfectly circular areas where the grass was short, while the rest of the field had long grass and wild...
  40. M

The Knock?

I kept hearing bangs on my windows for a while in the summer. I didn't know what it was until I noticed all the collared-dove shaped marks on the windows. I bought some of those stick on bird of prey shapes to keep them off but I still find dove shaped marks - right on top of the bird of prey...
  41. M

The Human Body Clock (Circadian Rhythm)

If there was going to be an extra hour in my day I'd rather it was at night so I could get a bit more sleep. I bet that'd have more effect on productivity than making people stay awake for an hour longer.
  42. M

Michael Aspel strange creature

Much more intriguing, thank you! :D EDIT: Although the addition of a colon - Michael Aspel: Strange creature - would have added even more hidden meanings
  43. M

Michael Aspel strange creature

Now, you see, if this thread had originally been called "Michael Aspel TV prog: big strange creature photo" I would probably never have clicked on it.
  44. M

Strange family backgrounds

Thank you! I've never had it explained to me before.
  45. M

Strange family backgrounds

I'd say that makes them your nephews, by marriage at least. I have another one. My father's cousin's daughter: is she my second cousin or my cousin once removed or what? And, now she has a son is he my nephew, my second cousin once removed or something else entirely. In muslim families...
  46. M

Top Causes of Death

I hadn't noticed the lack of malignancies in that list but it is interesting. It makes me think about the priority it gets in health-care budgeting. There's a lot of cancer charities, and cancer wards get a disproportionate amount of funding. I wonder if the reason cancer isn't on the list is...
  47. M

Top Causes of Death

Interesting list. The ward I work on has several isolation rooms and it's a rare day when we don't have at least a couple of TB patients in them. And this is in a hospital in a large, modern city in Britain. It does tend to be people who've caught the disease overseas but it's still a big...
  48. M

Love At First Sight (Kinda)

I fell in love at first sight twice today. :D
  49. M

"To Boldly go...."

That's very strange. For some reason I was contemplating this very thing this morning. I can't remember why though.
  50. M

Love At First Sight (Kinda)

I'd be really hurt if I found out that someone I was friends with had had a secret crush on me for years. It'd make the friendship seem less honest and genuine somehow. I'd wonder were they just friends with me in the hope that one day I'd sleep with them?
Back