• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. J

Spooks On The Tube: Ghosts Of London Underground

You are right Ginjabadja, when I worked in London in the 1980's & 90's I used the underground a lot. To and from work and extensively during the day. The whistle was a regular feature. I guess it was powered from the compressed air system on board each train. I wonder if the newest trains still...
  2. J

Energy remnants of a previous argument on returning to my car...

Reminds me of my first car, an old mini. After I passed my test and started driving it on my own I would occasionally feel the creeps as you described. Even during the day in the middle of town. Due to a considerable amount of rust I had a new front wing fitted. The chap who fitted it for me...
  3. J

So we have moved house

Thank you. We feel kind of privileged, what with it being grade 2 listed & thatched. It feels like we are just the 'guardians' for the time being. I am going to catch that dog walking woman one day, and have a chat with her. I will have to allow a fair amount of time, she can talk a glass eye...
  4. J

So we have moved house

I can't believe it has been so long since updating this...........No real events to relate until now, we are very happy in the house and have had some building work done with no noticeable spectral activities associated! Yesterday I was introduced to a decorator who had regularly done work at...
  5. J

Ghost Car? (IHTM)

Ages since my last post, I have been having problems with my account since the web site changes. I hope everyone is keeping well. Anyway, a slightly odd thing happened the other afternoon when I was out in the car. Near us there is a lane that is only just wide enough for 2 cars to pass as long...
  6. J

Protect & Survive (Nuclear War Preparedness)

My Daughters, born in the early 1990's were initially horrified that when our age group were growing up, until not that long before they were born, we kind of assumed that we would die (possibly fairly soon) in a messy and colourful way as a result of a nuclear war. Not that most of us were...
  7. J

Fred & Rosemary West

Back in 1994 we met a couple on holiday who were from the West country. Some friends or relatives of theirs were a Husband & Wife decorating contractors. The Wife was working on a job where Fred West was working too - obviously before all the horror stories broke, and the Husband was working...
  8. J

So we have moved house

Might have something to report: On Sunday I was over at the neighbour's across the road. We got to know them very quickly after moving in. Out of the blue he asked me if we had seen the ghost yet :shock: I said no, but please do go on. Apparently the lady before us saw the figure of a woman...
  9. J

Large Objects/Structures And A Feeling Of Dread

If I do that, I get a really strange feeling in my hands, as if they are passing through a thick fog that slows down their movement like water would. Actually I can relate to much of what is being said here. I get a really uneasy feeling near large water tanks :shock: When I was an...
  10. J

So we have moved house

Or, given that we were eating a meal on both occasions - Gravy-ty I'll get my coat...............
  11. J

So we have moved house

Well last Saturday we thought we had entered the world of oddness at last :shock: First we were having lunch in the dining room when we heard a loud thump from the living room. My wife has a large (full size) ornamental hat made from coloured glass. (actually looks nicer than it sounds...
  12. J

So we have moved house

Just a quick up date here, all quiet. We have had several overnight visits from family & friends and everyone who has stayed has commented on how well they slept and what a nice atmosphere the house has. I have to stay away from home quite a lot for work, and my wife does not have any problems...
  13. J

Electric Ghost?

Hi, do you have a fairly modern television and is it in the room where you were asleep? I posted this elsewhere some time ago, but briefly, I was sleeping in our living room one night and our television switched itself on and off several times at exactly 3 AM, except there was no picture. I...
  14. J

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

:shock: I just had a look at that - amazing! It looks like a plane the size of a 737 to me, larger that those that go in and out of City airport as far as I know. Also it is flying North to South, Which is really unusual as in my experience nearly all low planes over London go East to West...
  15. J

So we have moved house

Escargot's elusive drip sounds really odd - wouldn't fancy that in my place :shock: Would love to know what it is. Things quiet at our place - getting to know the neighbours - next door have been there for 27 years. People don't seem to move away much. As I may have said the people we...
  16. J

So we have moved house

Thank you both for your comments. So far nothing whatsoever to report. We were chatting to an old chap that lives nearby recently and he asked if the previous people had told us about the ghost :shock: He had a bit of a twinkle in his eye and I think he was mucking about. I did not want to...
  17. J

So we have moved house

We moved 3 weeks ago into a very old house - 16th century thatched with beams everywhere. It is lovely and so far seems to have a very welcoming atmosphere. There have been a couple of odd occurencies I can report. On one of the first evenings here, I was in the living room on the setee on my...
  18. J

Ghost of White Hart Inn (Edinburgh) - caught on camera?

The first thing I thought was that there appears to be no reason for this picture to have been taken, but it does look like it was taken on purpose. Maybe there is a market for pictures of middle aged arses at bars. I daren't google it though. :shock: It seems to me that many 'ghost pictures'...
  19. J

mobile telephone conversation and 121

The other day my Mother arrived home from shopping to find 2 missed calls from a friend of hers' mobile phone about 2 minutes apart, and a message. She listened to the message but it seemed like background noise as if the friend had accidentally called whilst out somewhere and not known. So my...
  20. J

"Haunted" flat story as hinted at!

I may have posted this somewhere here before, but it fits here I guess: In about 1977 when I was 15 we helped my Uncle move house - near the end of the day my Dad, Uncle, Auntie and I went back to old house to get the last bits while my Mum stayed at the new house to make some tea ready for our...
  21. J

Disappearing Hikers

In his book A walk in the woods about his hiking the Appalachian trail in America, Bill Bryson mentions a phantom hiker: All one day this hiker in old fashioned looking gear is just in view, always the same distance in front. The next day the same (apparently) hiker is just in view behind, never...
  22. J

Ghosts Of The Appalachian Trail

In his book A walk in the woods about his hiking the Appalachian trail in America, Bill Bryson mentions a phantom hiker: All one day this hiker in old fashioned looking gear is just in view, always the same distance in front. The next day the same (apparently) hiker is just in view behind, never...
  23. J

The Bilderberg Group

I had to go over to Watford yesterday evening and can report that the traffic was shit everywhere.
  24. J

How to see Ghosts (1 method)

I learned that your peripheral vision is tuned to catch movement but not detail and your straight ahead vision is just the opposite. Generally males have better peripheral vision as a remnant from hunting days, which is why we cannot find items that we are asked to fetch from cupboards, and...
  25. J

Ghost Tales From Everyday People

Friend of mine told me a long time ago about the house he grew up in. a large Victorian terraced. Their bathroom light switch was on the wall outside the bathroom which is fairly common in the UK, rather than fit a ceiling pull switch that is the only legal alternative. What they did as a...
  26. J

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

Have another look at picture 12. What IS the woman with blonde hair and glasses next to the headless woman doing :lol:
  27. J

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I am away for work at the moment in Birmingham staying in a very modest hotel. Earlier on, when I got back to my room I decided to do last months' expenses before going out to have some dinner. I got all the receipts out of the envelope where I store them and was entering the amounts in to the...
  28. J

Hotel Encounters, Anyone?

Not exactly supernatural, but about a year ago I was staying at a Premier inn in the North of England on business - this is fairly routine for me. I checked in and changed out of my work clothes then decided to go out for something to eat. Just as my room door closed I realised I had left my...
  29. J

Weird Motorway / Highway / Road Signs

I may have figured out what these mean but cannot imagine the reason for them. On Saturday I took my Daughter back to university which involved going a long way north on the M1. I saw these signs every so often, sometimes very close together, or at times long distances apart. 'M1' 'A' then a...
  30. J

That 3 AM Feeling

No, It is an old mantel clock - 1930's (I am sure you know the type), that would strike if it had a gong to strike on (I removed it) Anyway, that is downstairs in the living room.
  31. J

That 3 AM Feeling

Was woken up last night by a bell ringing! - like a doorbell continuous ring, not ding dong. We do not have a door bell. So I thought I must have been dreaming it (which must have been so). I got out of bed to go to the bathroom and noticed it was 2 or 3 minutes past 3 on my alarm radio. Got...
  32. J

Strange Happenings in Our House

We had a similar spate of things like this happen after we moved in to our 1930's house nearly 22 years ago. I have written about it elsewhere here. We had lots of work done, some of it by us and some by builders. The common thread with us was our Daughter's dummies. They would disappear...
  33. J

Workhouse haunting and the ladies in the wall

Oh By the way, we have taken literally hundreds of photographs in our house over the years, on film and lately digital. I don't ever remember seeing any 'unexplained' items in any of them.
  34. J

Workhouse haunting and the ladies in the wall

From past experience I would say that PeniG has put it well here. When we moved in to our house over 21 years ago we had an awful lot of strange things happen as I have posted on here previously. Only one occasion was anything 'seen' and that was by our daughter who was about 3 at the time...
  35. J

Message From Beyond?

Yeah you are right - even fifty year old geezers like meself have whimsical moments and it is nice that we can air them without fear of the p!ss being taken (too much) 8)
  36. J

Disembodied voice - A lovely little mystery

Have you got a sat nav? I have and the first time this happened i nearly sh@t myself: When it is not being used I store my sat nav in it's little pouch somewhere out of sight in the car. I was driving along one day when I suddenly heard a voice from within the car :shock: It took ages to...
  37. J

Train weirdness

I agree, it sounds like the train turned round at some point and you missed it. That to me seems very strange as when this happens there is an awful lot of activity in getting everyone off in an 'all change' situation and a guard or someone walks through the train to make sure it is empty. Then...
  38. J

Weird Weather

Is this crappy weather getting anyone else down? We have months of dark evenings then when at last it is light later the weather is shite. Yesterday evening felt more like a November evening round my way. I think we need to campaign to get that jet stream moved.
  39. J

Weird Weather

Ah Perranporth. Have not been there for nearly 30 years - used to feel very exotic there in the 70's & 80's. Hope it is still like that now but fear it is not. Thank you for posting the pictures :D
  40. J

Unseasonal British/European Weather, HAARP & the double

The main influence or even control of the weather in the UK and northern Europe is the jet stream. This determines where the low pressures go. If it is too far south most of Britain cops it. I did hear that the melting ice caps at the north pole are not only affecting sea temperature and...
  41. J

Weird Weather

There is currently a large yellow object in the sky over west Hertfordshire - similar to one seen last towards the end of March. Does anyone know what it could be? it seems to be radiating warmth.
  42. J

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I have done that! - Driven by a car park and noticed a space, then driven in to find the space taken, having not noticed anyone else looking for one. Indeed, the car that had 'taken' the space would usually be empty and unattended, not at the 'people just getting out of it' stage. I just put it...
  43. J

Phantom Footsteps

I can live with a spook around, I think we have been for the last 21 years in our house. We do hear footsteps from our bedroom which is above the living room, from time to time, not clomping, but the kind of shuffling you would usually do around a bedroom. It is nearly always at around 10 -...
  44. J

Eurovision

OMG :shock: Did it really all look like that when we were teenagers? :lol:
  45. J

Eurovision

Well, sort of, but it is more about finding out, or, more like, re affirming which countries other countries like or dislike. We could ditch the singing altogether and get to the real comedy straight away, the voting. :)
  46. J

Eurovision

My money is on the Russian grannies. 8)
  47. J

A Bizarre & Nasty Haunting

I hope no one minds me bringing this one back to the fore so to speak, there have been no additions for nearly 7 years and I would hate it to disappear. This is one of the most frigtening things I have read - not out & out scaryness, but the underlying long term sense of horror. I have read...
  48. J

A Moment Of Silence Bomb Warning?

Reading this thread took me back a few years. I am 50. I guess like so many others around my age, from when I could remember up to my mid twenties it was my firm belief that I would die in an unpleasant and colourful way as a result of a major nuclear war. It was not that we woke up every...
  49. J

The Falklands

It was only 6 years after the end of the Falklands war that I saw all those maps & charts etc at that oil company. The flippant comment then was 'Why do you really think we went all that way to 'liberate' them? Seems to me the oil was known about a long time ago. I do agree that if the...
  50. J

Phantom Door Knocking?!

This happened to me a few times after my Dad died. I put it down to a dream each time as Mrs 544 was never awoken. It would be about 4 o clock in the morning and I would be woken up by the front door knocker. My first thought is "there must be bad news from the hospital about Dad" moments...
Back