• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

The Legend of Lynx Hollow

Okay, let me set this up a little. My parents are into geneology and sometimes pore over old newspapers, and my mom recently related this story to me, starring one of my ancestors. I had her email me a copy right away. It sounds a little (or a lot) fishy, but I thought you folks might enjoy it...
  2. M

Unexplained Creature Captured On Camera

The proximity to the wall makes me feel like it's a model leaned up against said wall. Doesn't seem very compelling to me.
  3. M

The Legendary Thunderbird Photo

Strangemag's site used to have a discussion about it somewhere, to the point where I think a lot of the recent interest originated there, but I haven't been able to find it the last few times I was on...
  4. M

The Voynich Manuscript

I think the Voynich Manuscript is just as interesting as a fraud as it is if it's what it seems to be. Whenever it was made, it was done with great craftsmanship and is a great piece of art.
  5. M

Kids Today

The single child friends I have seem a bit emotionally needy and entitled, like they need to be important somehow. Could be a coincidence!
  6. M

Internet Trolls (Their Motivation / Psychology / Psychopathology)

I've found that most internet forums seem to harbor at least one person from 4chan, which is where all the worst internet trolls seem to come from. I had a friend who put a post in his blog recently about how he hung out at 4chan because he thought he was horrible. Then he looked around and...
  7. M

Internet Trolls (Their Motivation / Psychology / Psychopathology)

In my experience, trolls are self-hating at least.
  8. M

Shoe Throwing: A Traditional Middle Eastern Insult

I believe the shoes are considered as dirty things, and even turning the bottom of them to someone is very rude in some places. I remember Ben Affleck on some late night talk show talking about how he was in an airport having a civil discussion with a middle eastern man, and he sort of crossed...
  9. M

Unidentified Newborn Creature Found Dead...

I can't identify it, but it doesn't seem like anything unusual.
  10. M

Piercings

This is completely reasonable to me. When I was a kid I learned that I could alleviate pain in one part of my body by pressing on certain other parts. It's strange, but true!
  11. M

Kids Today

Is that really so surprising enough to be noteworthy? It reminds me of an incident where I was walking down the street and some kid comes up to me while I was on my walk and asks, "You're a hippie, right? Want to buy some pot?" He was really young, though probably older than nine at least...
  12. M

Internet Suicide-Pact Craze

Sadly, she did not. I wonder what was going through her mind when he didn't take the pill (or whatever). It was an internet suicide pact that turned out to actually be a snuff film, I guess. Like I said, creepy.
  13. M

Sleep Paralysis & Night Hag Experience

Sounds like experiences with sleep paralysis I've had. I had a really weird waking dream this last month. I keep hallucinating spiders when I'm nearly asleep, which is very annoying since I have enough spiders that I can never ignore them. But this time it happened while I was waking up, and...
  14. M

Internet Suicide-Pact Craze

I'm apparently linked very indirectly to a false internet suicide pact! My aunt's husband's ex-wife's sister (whew!) went to Mexico to do a double suicide with some guy she met on the internet, while he filmed it. Except he only gave her the poison. But he still filmed it. Creepy!
  15. M

Local & Dialect Words

My mom always said that her dad's family used 'windy' as a word for 'lie.' (As in telling a windy.) One of my poor second cousins is called Windy. Can't remember how that came about...
  16. M

Cigarettes: More Addictive Than [*Insert Hard Drug Of Choice*]

I think I remember seeing a show about it on tv that said that it was more addictive than any illegal drug except cocaine.
  17. M

Questionably Authentic and Disturbing Cartoons & Cartoon UL's

Heh, that one actually originated in the very thread on gamefaqs (now apparently gone) I mentioned earlier. The thread was ressurected some time later with a lot of discussion on how famous that Simpsons story -- the first attempt at a user creating a version of Suicide Mouse, if I'm not...
  18. M

Questionably Authentic and Disturbing Cartoons & Cartoon UL's

There's a whole ton of stories of disturbing cartoons. There was a lengthy thread of it on gamefaqs.com, which may very well have spawned the very story you've linked too. The first was a supposed Mickey Mouse cartoon called Suicide Mouse, which has a bad fake on YouTube; it doesn't even match...
  19. M

Amityville Horror: Where Do You Stand?

For me the whole thing balances on whether or not the fact that they abandoned the house, leaving all their stuff behind can be substantiated. There's no way anyone would do that to promote a book.
  20. M

'Earworms' & Stuck-Tune Syndrome

One time I had the Three's Company theme stuck in my head for a week. It was horrible. I've actually found that the best cure is to listen to the song that's stuck in your head, and really get into it! Sing along! Move around!
  21. M

Thylacines (Post-1936 Sightings)

I was watching the existing footage of thylacines on YouTube. Truly an interesting and unique creature. Sometimes they looked like a dog, and in one shot it looked for all the world like a giant numbat. Basically, they look pretty dog-like until they move around a bunch, then you can see the...
  22. M

Cryptids Held In Zoos Or Collections?

I wish I could tell you more... Unfortunately it was almost certainly on one of the many defunct 'strange' web sites. I seem to remember it being in Vietnam or Thailand. The wild man wasn't Zana; it was more of a sasquatch he kept in some sort of cage or enclosure and would proudly show to his...
  23. M

Live Toads Found Entombed In Solid Substances

I've seen quite a few stories about this -- including a highly unlikely pteradactyl -- but not much in the way of evidence. At least one said it left a cast of the frog behind, though that might have been in coal. I wonder if that's around somewhere. Very strange, but interesting.
  24. M

Cryptids Held In Zoos Or Collections?

What's that about the mystery cat in the Tower Menagerie? Sounds interesting! This probably isn't worth much, but when I first started reading up on cryptozoology on the internet, a good 15 years ago, I remember a story about a rich man in south-east Asia supposedly having a captive wild man...
  25. M

Green Children Of Woolpit (And Maybe Spain)

Time Life's excellent Mysteries of the Unexplained has the Banjos version of the green children story. The great thing about this book is it references the sources on all its material. This one is attributed to Enigmas and Mysteries, by Colin Wilson. According to Amazon.com, that book is from...
  26. M

Bees

I guess there is that!
  27. M

Bees

The sad part to me is that people only seem to care about stuff going extinct if it affects humanity. That's my real issue here.
  28. M

Bees

I like how people seem mostly concerned with how bees dying out would affect the economy.
  29. M

Kids Today

Yes, it's become an extremely stupid, ugly situation.
  30. M

Bees

Bee stingers are barbed, and when a bee stings and pulls away, it leaves the stinger and quite a few of its guts, meaning it will soon die. If carefully controlled, I suppose they could be made to sting someone lightly so as to not kill the bee. I also believe that some types of bees don't lose...
  31. M

Dark-Hooded Figures and Their Flower Gift(s)

How long have you lived there? Maybe someone who used to live there died, and those strange fellows were dropping the flower in memory!
  32. M

Man used penis to assault female police officer

You'd have to bludgeon someone with your penis for a really long time if you wanted to take them out!
  33. M

Mysterious Panamanian Cave Creature

As soon as I saw this picture, I knew the creature looked familiar somehow. Last night I was watching a movie, and it came to me: it's the baby from Eraserhead! Or is it just me?
  34. M

Was H. G. Wells' Vision Of The Future Correct?

Why would we evolve at all? Everyone is able to survive and breed, regardless of fitness or favorable traits. I think the genetic flaws that would kill us 'in the wild' will just keep piling up until we're incapable of surviving without major technological aid.
  35. M

Geisha School, Moscow

I do not admire a nation of women who wear stillettos in the snow and make it look easy. Am I wrong to prefer sincere women?
  36. M

Kids Today

I think parents just need to have a little faith in their kids. They're not ready to turn into maniacs at the drop of a hat. I think the kids that do turn into maniacs aren't made that way because they played with toy weapons as a child...
  37. M

Tracking Living African Pterosaurs

I think the logic is that pterosaurs are an extinct branch of life, which ties them to evolution in the minds of the creationists. In their ignorance, the creationists believe that all paleontology is tied to evolution, and thus if paleontology is wrong about one thing, it's wrong about...
  38. M

Mermaids

I've always had a hard time swallowing the dugong theory, but it seems to be fairly old.
  39. M

Demise of the 50 ft lobster

I don't envy the people in that boat...
  40. M

Atheism

I feel that religion serves an important purpose and should always remain. Religion, like sports, helps keep the nuts occupied and off the streets. I don't think religion is America's biggest problem. Every generation is becoming more spoiled, entitled, and nihilistic. Religion just annoys...
  41. M

Wodewose & The British Bigfoot

I've seen it happen every once in a while. It's always been temporary for me. Try again tomorrow!
  42. M

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

Very strange, indeed. Could it be some sort of elaborate prank?
  43. M

'Human Root' Unearthed (Picture)

It seems unlikely that such a thing could happen naturally, much less twice in a short period of time, but they are intriguing, to be sure.
  44. M

Dragons: Evidence They Existed

Interesting. The early version of the basilisk was the king of serpents -- a large snake with some sort of crest, that could kill just by looking at you. I wonder if there is a common root story.
  45. M

Newly Discovered: Previously Unknown Animal Species (Not Alleged Cryptids Or Species Believed Extinct)

When they find an unusual animal like that, I always feel like they should release it back into the wild.
  46. M

The Computer Virus Industry

I keep saying that going on the internet is like going to the worst part of town at night. 40 million sounds like a crazy high number, though!
  47. M

Black-Eyed Kids

It's very strange how widespread this is...
  48. M

Monster Hunter (US - Destination Truth) TV show

Which? The two shows I grew up on were during the 70's... I expect wikipedia has a reasonably-accurate article on each. :)
  49. M

Monster Hunter (US - Destination Truth) TV show

There seem to be several shows like this now. Discovery has MonsterQuest, which seems to mostly consist of stock footage and wild goose chases. On Animal Planet (I think) there is a show about big, scary fish, though it's more focused on studying known but mysterious animals. MonsterQuest is...
  50. M

Chinese Little People's Commune & Theme Park (Kunming)

Very strange. I remember watching a thing about freak shows a long time ago, and how when there was an outcry to shut them down, it was the freaks who protested the most. They made tons of money, just sitting around, and they were among people who accepted them as just people. They could...
Back