• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. T

The "Phantom Fiddler"

Looking at the calendar my eldest son brought to our attention the fact of there being a full moon on New Years Eve. This event is supposedly marked by the appearance of a ghost locally known as the phantom fiddler. The ghost is typical of the genre of haunting by a musician (sometimes a soldier...
  2. T

Memories Triggered By Music

I have just been listening to Faure's Cantique de Jean Racine on classic fm and, as it usually does, it brought back a particularly vivid memory. However it is a memory that I could not possibly have had of a real event. It must be of either a dream or else something I have seen on TV. The...
  3. T

Fate Linked To A Tree

Does anyone here know about the folklore of a tree reacting to the fate of an individual? I recently came across the story of two trees planted outside a local manor to commemorate a visit by William III. They were cedars, one called the Mary tree and the other called after William. The Mary...
  4. T

Something Passing By My Window

I don't really know where to post this,UFO, cryptozoology, ghosts? It wasn't anything major, just odd. Last night, around midnight, I was sitting up in bed reading when there was the sound of something hard hitting the glass of the window, a bit like the sound of a small pebble would make...
  5. T

Russian Bigfoot?

Does anyone have any information about the story that Stalin ordered soviet scientists to develop apemen as "ultimate warriors" during WW2? Are there any reliable sources for this claim? I came across the statement while following links to do with the recent Georgia Bigfoot hoax. If it is...
  6. T

bonekickers???

Did anyone watch the new BBC series Bonekickers last night (8th July)? If so what did you make of it?
  7. T

Touching ghosts

Does anyone know of reports of someone actually touching a ghost? I don't mean brushing past or being knocked/pinched/hit by a poltergeist, but actually getting hold of a ghost. There are numerous reports of people feeling a presence but I am wondering if there are any that state that there was...
  8. T

2012, what happened when the cycle began?

Sorry for the title but I'm at a bit of a loss how to phrase what I am on about here, so please bear with me. I am posting here as I don't know where would be most appropriate. With regard to all the doom and gloom about the forthcoming 2012 (no not the olympics!) end of it all scenario my...
  9. T

Who put the lights out?

This has just happened in the past few minutes. I am alone in the house in the basement working (ahem :oops: ) on the computor. The basement is below ground level, no windows, so the lights have to be switched on. The only light switch is at the top of the stairs. The lights went out...
  10. T

Electromagnetism & Electricity Pylons

Yesterday I came across a phenomena that I had not experienced before. As we had a couple of hours free time we thought we would follow a footpath that we hoped went along the old river path between Puddington and Shotwick. We had not been along this stretch of footpath before so I was paying...
  11. T

Strange stuff happening all round!

Hi everyone, I have been having a spate of weird stuff happening over the past few days with odd things occuring to all members of the family 1: My eldest son and his fiancee witnessed a light in the sky ( he called it a fire ball) travelling south east to north west about six in the evening...
  12. T

Phantom Whistler?

Back in the winter of 1978/9 I was living in a rented cottage in a quiet village called Bilton in Ainsty, between York and Wetherby. Back then the village was little more than a post office, a church (very old) and a few cottages and scattered farm houses. The weather turned very cold...
  13. T

Seeing things on the screen

It is not often that something odd happens when you are actually reading the ForteanTimes forum but!!! I was just returning to the Forum Index from the Ghosts section, when for a split second, I saw a box with the words "go to hell" written in it. It was visable just long enough for me to...
  14. T

Are There Any Pig Mutilations On Record?

I don't know if there is another post anywhere that deals with this, but while reading the theories about cattle mutilations I began to wonder what other animals have been attacked in this way. There are a number of recorded horse mutilations, family pets (such as dogs and cats) have been...
  15. T

The Graffiti & Street Art Thread

I guess this is not very fortean but I find it interesting. My youngest has recently been going round old castles and abbeys photographing them for a dissertation. As he cannot drive I take him to these sites and then have a wonder around by myself while he gets on with his stuff. What I...
  16. T

When is a werewolf not a werewolf?

Are all sightings of bipedal wolf like beings attributed to werewolves? Arn't werewolves people who turn or claim to turn into a wolf at a particular time (new moon, etc)? If there is a sighting of a werewolf like creature might that creature be like that all the time? Odd thought are...
  17. T

The SS Great Eastern

The great Eastern is a classic tale of an unlucky "doomed" ship, but how much of the tale is true? She was succesful in the laying of the first transatlantic telegraph cable. Where there really two skeletons found when she was broken up at Birkenhead? Does anyone know of a reliable...
  18. T

Benevolent Night Hag?

Weird stuff seems to keep happening to me, and has done throughout my life (friends comment about it). I suppose that is why I find Fortean matters so interesting and, in a way, comforting (at least I am not the only one stuff happens to). I have been going back in my memory to the fist weird...
  19. T

Wild Men in England 1904-1905

Reading the home page I was interested in the report that Fort recorded that there were 10 wild men reports during the winter of 1904/5. Does anyone have any further info. about these and perhaps what happened to these men?
  20. T

Info. wanted on 1960's UFO crash

Has anyone got any information about a UFO sighted as crashing into the sea off the east coast of the UK in the early 1960's? My father-in-law was reminising about the time that he saw a UFO over the coast of either Lincolnshire or Norfolk around 1960-62. He was walking along a coastal path...
  21. T

how did he do that?

Odd thing happened the other night. I was walking along a footpath (quite well lit, unmade) towards the road on which I live. It was still,chilly and damp. A man walking briskly came past me and went on ahead. He was dressed distinctively in a dinner suit but wearing tan leather gloves and a...
  22. T

The Fisher King

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread so please move it if there is a more appropriate place. I've recently been reading about King Arthur and one book led to another (& another...) and have followed the trail to the stories about the Fisher King. I know that medieval...
  23. T

The Contrariness of Life

Some people always seem to have things flow their way. They want a particular outcome for an event and sure as like they get it. Others, however, seem to get the very opposite of what they want. There is a third type of person to whom life deals evenly, win some lose some. Some times...
  24. T

Distance viewing something scary

Ever since I can remember I have "known" stuff without being told. It hasn't been a useful talent and has got me into trouble on more than one occasion, so I have never had the inclination to develop it further. Things don't come in dreams but rather in little snatches throughout the day while...
  25. T

Wearing Dead Persons' Clothing / Shoes

Does anyone know of any ul's about wearing the clothing of someone who has died? Recently a guest at our home was wearing a fairisle sweater, I commented on it as it was very colourful and the pattern very detailed. His mother immediately commented that the sweater was one that had belonged to...
  26. T

U-Boat U-534: Haunted?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know if the German U-Boat at the docks in Wallasey in the Wirral is haunted? I have to past it sometimes and every time it freaks me out totally. I have heard that nobody died when it sank but even just thinking about it and...
  27. T

Strangeness in the garden

We've lived in our house for getting on for 20 years and have had a number of strange things occur over the years, but what is currently happening is the first time that I have had any inclination to be worried or scared. When you describe what is happening it does not sound scary, rather funny...
Back