• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Are people from the Home Counties actually all aliens?
  2. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

That sounds like quite a contortion! - But is better than heading up the orifices other Sci-Fi franchises have disappeared up!
  3. austen27

Blasphemy

A certain Australian, or former Australian, owns a lot of the British press now.
  4. austen27

Blasphemy

Yes, journalists are often desperate to make people look bad. I read an article in the Daily Mail (my mother reads it) some years ago about an actor where they quoted one of his friends as saying "No one will say a bad word about him". I think the friend meant he was well liked, but the...
  5. austen27

Blasphemy

:) (He is an Anglo-Catholic - and an author).
  6. austen27

Blasphemy

The full script is here. The phrases might be in there but the context makes all the difference. As I understand it the theologial points he made are quite traditional ones. There is some good anylisis here: http://aguyinthepew.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... ement.html...
  7. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

One Darlek left to come back another day of course. Next weeks monsters look good - very "Species" don't you think?
  8. austen27

Blasphemy

If you’re going back to the Dean of St Alban's, what he actually said (as opposed to what was reported and commented on before the broadcast was made) was in line with Anglican, and Catholic, doctrine. The Rector at St Mary's Cottingham made the whole thing the subject of a sermon two weeks ago...
  9. austen27

Shortwave Number Stations

Is it a digital tuner? Could it be being lured off signal by a near by source?
  10. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Thanks for the link - the more I think about it the more I see a Lovecraftian world view emerging in the "whoniverse".
  11. austen27

Blasphemy

Exactly, create something just to offend and you get lors of free publicity.
  12. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Did anyone else think the human-dalek looked a bit Lovecraftian? You know Cthululululululululuthuthul (or how ever it is spelt). Lovecraft was writing in the 1930s wasn't he - could he turn up as a minor character next episode? I think this serires is getting better as it goes on!
  13. austen27

Blasphemy

I agree with you. The concept is ultmately banal - like a lot of "controversial" art. It is a pity we don't see more engagement with real religious issues.
  14. austen27

Blasphemy

Not shocking at all. I suppose it is really a concept piece, the fact that we know it is chocolate and not bronze makes us uneasy. "Piss Christ" is similar, it is a photograph of a crucifix in a hazey yellow light - it is only the title that in indicating the effect is created by urine that...
  15. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

That explains my childhood fear of toilets then. Did any one else HAVE to get out the door before the flushing finished?
  16. austen27

Blasphemy

I think the other effect of the Civil War was to discourage political debate on the subject of religion.
  17. austen27

Blasphemy

Sorry about that - a html tag has gone a stray in my previous post.
  18. austen27

Blasphemy

I find that very surprising. Most of the Methodist churces I have attended have not had any images at all in them! "Low" Anglican churches can be even more spartan. When I was at University in Scotland the Minister told us that there were people who would even consider the plain wooden cross we...
  19. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Do you think it could be Steve Coogan? Saxondale? :lol:
  20. austen27

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

Do you think with John Bannerman in the cast they might actually do a musical episode! Wasn't the point of Susie shooting her self then being ressurected meant to be that she could then live for ever (or until the glove was destroyed)?
  21. austen27

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

I'm planning to stick with it - but then again I am the only person I know who watched all the episodes of "Star Cops". I am actually enjoying Torchwood, but it isn't quite as dark as I thought it might be. I think they might give us some real shocks and revelations about Jack before the end...
  22. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I've just watched City of Death on DVD. Do you think we will ever get another big location shoot like that one?
  23. austen27

Are the Fundies for real?

I think the media are partly to blame for the stereotypes of Christians, not because they have a "liberal agenda" (though some probably do) but because the extreme always makes a better story. As for Ann Coulter - she must do her own causes more harm than good - I read some where on the web...
  24. austen27

Thanks for joining the discussion Synchronicity. I think there is ironic that the Fundementalists, who stem from the Protestant tradition that was keen to rid the church of superstition, have ended up much more superstitious than the orthodox churches.
  25. austen27

The Octopus Thread

Fo a moment I thought the octapus was going to draw the tatoo. Imagine that, an octapus with a tatoo gun in each tentacle! :o
  26. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Well one was called "Sek" and did an "emergency" temporal shift, thus leaving the possibility of more Darleks in the future. Try wikipedia's episode guide. BTW: I received this message on 6 July from a friend in the City: >The Tardis and a film crew are currently to be seen on top of a...
  27. austen27

I would have thought that the American Lutherans and Methodists might be considered conservative but not Fundementalist. In Europe the Methodists, and I think some denominations of Baptists and Lutherans, are relatively Liberal Christians. I would put Methodism in England some where between the...
  28. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I think I'm going to miss her too. I thought this grand finale was much better than the one to the first series.
  29. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Bet Lynch - that really would frighten the Darleks! :)
  30. austen27

Terror Alerts

Yes there is a very real threat, but I worry where talk of wide spread conspiracy could take us. As others have said, replace the word "Muslim" in some reports with "Jew" and you could be in Germany in the 1930s. There is a risk of fascism from ALL sides at the moment. :(
  31. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

She more or less did, didn't she? The manouver with the gun and the saftey belt was a bit more Bond than Buffy though, but "Go to Hell!" was a great line in the context. :?: If some thing falls into a blackhole, isn't there a chance it will re-emerge in an alternative universe? There should...
  32. austen27

LOST

I think the tie in figures should have been made by the people who did the Cabbage Patch Kids. They could do a very realistic Charlie. :P
  33. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I thought this one was like a cross between Alien and The Exorcist edited for a pre watershed audience. The best one yet though! Last weeks "Idiots Lantern", which I still enjoyed, must have been relatively low budget by comparison. I'm expecting them to really splash out next week. :) I...
  34. austen27

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

We have had a very late spring after a cold winter this year. For the past few years spring has been creeping earlier and earlier - perhapse this is some sort of natural compensation.
  35. austen27

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

It was a very good start to a new series. Lets hope they can keep it up. I wonder what sort of voice they will give the new Cybermen?
  36. austen27

Pentagon 911 Conspiracy?

Much though I disagree with the politics of George W, I find it hard to believe that he, or any other members of the present US government, would actually be evil enough to plan any of the things that happened on September 11. I think a lot of the the conspiracy theories are being generated by...
  37. austen27

FT208

Fabulous Animals Does any one know if Attenborough's "Fabulous Animals" was ever repeated after 1975. I certainly remember watching it (I remeber seeing a picture of a very grotty Fiji mermaid in one show) - but I was three years old in 1975! I know I have a good early memory, but surely I...
  38. austen27

Parrot Predicting The Future

Don't forget, the phrase "a little bird told me" originates in the book of Proverbs...
  39. austen27

Ice Skates & Missing Fingers

The UL has been going since the early 70s at least. A friend of mine at primary school claimed her sister saw a lady loose her fingers like that at the ice rink... I'm not sure that I believed her even then!
  40. austen27

Satanic Abuse Rumbles On?

The more I hear about SRA the more it brings to mind seventeenth century witch hunts. There is something horribly wrong when Christians end up breaking up families whilst chasing (imaginary) satanists. :(
  41. austen27

Ariel Sharon's Illness: Result Of A Curse?

Similar things have happened in Russia According to some accounts Churchill wasn't very alive in the last days of his "Indian Summer" term.
  42. austen27

Satan demonised and a scapegoat

I understood that the under sized genitals of Classical statues were meant to represent the taming of physical lusts. Therefore a small penis was sometimes considered more civilized. (BTW: Flashers are actually trying to solicit invitations to dinner by showing what good table manners they have.)
  43. austen27

The Well-Tailored Neanderthal; Or, They Walk Among Us!

If the sea level was lower at the time then the straits could have been narrower, or had intermediate islands that are now submerged.
  44. austen27

Satan demonised and a scapegoat

Having read the Satanic Abuse thread recently I would say the Devils best trick is to make people see him in places where he is not.
  45. austen27

Pat Robertson: God told him it's Bush in a 'blowout'

Hindus have a great sense of Humour though... http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/artic ... 1650.shtml :D
  46. austen27

Didn't Robertson once tell his viewers that God was ransoming his soul for one million dollars? He also insists that Jesus wore expensive clothes (therefore please raise money for Pats new suite). I'm very dubious about his sincerity.
  47. austen27

The White House has criticised Pat Robertson's remarks on Sharon according to BBC radio news. Nothing on the website yet. I hope Sharon's new party can pick up where he left off and make a viable Israel.
  48. austen27

LOST

The sites are well done. Can I slip on an anorak and say I noticed one mistake so far: http://www.driveshaftband.com/driveSHAFTGallery2.htm The telephone number on the old Driveshaft ticket has an 061 code even though it is dated 2000, five years after British telephone numbers...
  49. austen27

LOST

They might run Series 2 on E4 then repeat it on Channel 4 later in the year. They messed about with "Six Feet Under" like that and I lost interest. :(
  50. austen27

Exoplanets (Extra-Solar Planets)

I think the New Scientist suggested we could try communicating with extrasolar civilisations using polarised laser beams. The reply (if any) would take a long time to come.
Back