• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. B

The Death Of Dr David Kelly

Good lord, is this debate still rumbling on? Well, we'll never know, will we? But the world of 'intelligence collection' is every bit as weird as that of James Bond. If operatives can be murdered with poisoned umbrella tips and such esoteric methods as tea laced with plutonium then anything...
  2. B

I Can Hear Bats Squeaking—Can You?

thankyou for the welcome back :D been pretty busy and spent a lot of time messing with myspace and my own website which I'm still adding to. Nice to read the board again though!
  3. B

Therapy For Restless Legs May Trigger Compulsive Gambling

Fascinating! I have just been to my g.p. to see if he can treat me for rls. but after looking at the drugs available he refused to reccomend any as he didn't like the reported sside effects and suggested I simply put up with it.
  4. B

The Cheese Man Of Huntingdonshire

Glad I've only got food allergies! I can't eat fish or seafood of any kind, or nuts with the sole exception of chestnuts and have to carry an adrenalin pen with me at all times. However I do love cheese of every kind, even cheddar, though the cheese from the cheddar gorge cheese shop is entirely...
  5. B

US plans giant space mirrors to reverse global warning

great shoot a lot of muck in the sky carefullu calculated top do the job then there's a volcanic explosion and we are all stuffed! :oops: Great solution. And yes, I read of large mirrors in space to focus energy on a locality.
  6. B

I Can Hear Bats Squeaking—Can You?

there was this discussion on another thread some time ago. I could until a year or two back hear bats squeek, mostly pipistrelles, but I'm sure no-one can hear their 'radar' which is a stream of pulses around 40 kz if i remember. Now my hearing has deteriorated to below around 12-14 kz partly...
  7. B

The Genographic Project

This site : http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... rs_dna.htm is the site which has my dna tests on and is quite interesting, it's an American based site, consequently it's largely concerned with tracing contributors' roots back to the uk, borderlands in particular. The two...
  8. B

Hypnotism

I just cannot believe that this discussion on the validity of hypnosis as a clinical effect is still going on! It's 50 years since I personally witnessed surgery under hypnosis and learned to use the technique myself, and yet people are continueing to argue about it. Part of the trouble seems...
  9. B

Alternative Medicine: Hypnotherapy

I just cannot believe that this discussion on the validity of hypnosis as a clinical effect is still going on! It's 50 years since I personally witnessed surgery under hypnosis and learned to use the technique myself, and yet people are continueing to argue about it. Part of the trouble seems...
  10. B

Magic Lanterns

Used to have a single magic lantern which took an acetylene lamp. With it were several slides which contained movable animated parts which one operated by pushing litlle rods and turning tiny handles that stuck out of the slide frames made of wood. The reults were quite spectacular. In big shows...
  11. B

Euphoric states without drugs

Hangovers and colds don't do anything for my state of mind other than make me a miserable sod. But anytime I spend a half - hour or so in an art gallery, I notice I gain an increased colour saturation and perception which can last for some time. Viewing more modern abstractionist pictures...
  12. B

Camera Glitch

And only sensitive people would smell it.:D It does have an odd shape for a reflection or flare, and does seem to have an equal optical density along its length, being denser viewed end on, like a semi-transparent tape, but I guess it's just an optical oddity.
  13. B

A Blue Plaque For Charles Fort?

He certainly does fit all the required criteria. The blue plaques are, as mentioned, very distinctive and easily photographed. We should go ahead with a proposal.
  14. B

Auroras (Northern Lights; Polar Lights)

Monitoring at York is high, but not yet in the red, which would give people as far south as me a chance to see something: http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/ Also from Friday on the 28 Mhz hf bands were open for most of the way around the world.
  15. B

Cessna Downed By Unknown Object

I've watched plenty of private light aircraft fly in and out of B'ham airport close to civil airline jets without any problems, as I'm sure they do at any airport. Granted, at altitude the jet would be moving much faster with a correpondingly bigger wake...but two miles?
  16. B

Personal Information On Threads

I agree with Peni. If you already have a presence on the web in your own name, say for business or because you are known in certain fields, then presumably you are already exposed anyway. I suppose there are certain message boards where it wouldn't be wise to use your own name, but being such a...
  17. B

Perpetual Motion & Perpetual Motion Machines

And more on that sort of stuff here: http://jnaudin.free.fr/
  18. B

The Men Who Stare At Goats: Super Soldiers & Psychological Warfare

No use staring at hamsters, apparently they are incredibly short-sighted!:D
  19. B

Reasons for a UFO coverup

:rofl: Only for snobby aliens! And only if they're keen on hunting with alien quadrapeds!
  20. B

Reasons for a UFO coverup

The only reason to suppress alien contact information would be for a government to appropriate an advanced technology, and boy, would the military love to do a deal to get that. But what could a govt. offer to an advanced race to make a deal attractive? Nothing that aliens couldn't just take...
  21. B

The Jerk On The Cell Phone

According to an article I read on f.t., your throat and vocal chord muscles actually move when you are just thinking the words in your head (Irc the American military were interested in using this for coms in noisy places where even phase reversal noise cancelling won't work properly) and this...
  22. B

Vibrations: What's *that* all about?!

You should paste this in the 'dish best served cold ' thread, Leaferne.:D As for vibrations, well the beach boys obviously knew about it! ;)
  23. B

Fairly Inexplicable Phone Call

All I get is people ringing to book dinner at the local country club, simply because a series of adverts, inc. those on a Cornish website, had my number instead of theirs. :mad: Friend of mine had a silent call, not even heavy breathing, rang off and 1471'd to be given the caller's number as...
  24. B

The Spiricom (Talking With The Dead)

Sounds like she might indeed be an expert on things that go bump in the night!;)
  25. B

Theology of the Great Pumpkin

This has to be an American theological dilemma, because as a kid in the uk we all worshipped the great turnip, repesentations of which we carried around on sticks, lit from within by a candle, on All Souls' Eve. ;)
  26. B

Strange going-ons in Moscow office block

Seems that he walks into a pool of light (from where?), turns round and goes back behind the plant ( or walks backwards!) and switches on some more room lights and is just re-appearing when he's photographed again...and then vanishes! At least he isn't semi-transparent like most ghost fotos:D...
  27. B

Language Oddities

well if he can write the same text simultaneously in two different languages, he can put a translator out of work!:D
  28. B

Odd Musical Instruments

Once played a jazz concert sharing the bill with an old, black blues player called Jessie Fuller. He was a complete one man band, absolutely amazing! All at the same time he played 12 string steel guitar, harmonica on a brace, with his left foot, a choke cymbal and with his right, his custom...
  29. B

Aliens in a graveyard! or a garden in London..

hate all those slime-covered aliens that eat my pot plants in my backyard! So sorry not POT plants but pot plants...:D
  30. B

Lydia Kavina - Theremin Virtuoso

Some chat on the theramin on this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/F63741?thread=105122
  31. B

Religion Is Neurosis

Edward: Just happened to read your second quote in T.P's "the globe, the science of discworld" about an hour ago! I just wish people could manage to be humane and 'altruistic' in their actions towards each other without the need for any creed, especially when many consider their God to be the...
  32. B

Most Haunted: Bumper Compendium Thread

Posted this at the end of the mh4 thread, dpl, and they should be arriving about now, after throwing out the punters. As everyone will have seen the crew by now, the pub is where the old Galt toy shop used to be, behind the Bath Inn and supposed to be well haunted, but isn't everywhere in York? ;)
  33. B

Rosie the Robot Now: Robot Use To Increase Sevenfold by 2007

Yep. There's even a vacuum- cleaning robot in my ordinary mail order catalogue, though the price is a bit off-putting. So the politicians argue about unemployment figures, massage the results, make election promises about full employment and force lazy miscreants into re-training....whilst the...
  34. B

'Titanic' Explorer Sets Out To Prove Noah's Flood Formed The Black Sea

Interesting, if inconclusive. Thanks for the update. There are so many flood legends, some even closer to home with the Breton isle of Ys, cornish Lyonesse and the flood in the Mabinogion, though I imagine these were much more recent.
  35. B

Do You Dream In Colour / Color? With Or Without Sound?

For me it's the lot as well, though in spite of being a musician (no jokes here, please - I can play more than one instrument:D ) I don't often hear music, as in background sounds, but when there is music it takes full centre stage. My dreams have a very strong narrative content, occ. they...
  36. B

Virtual Terror: Murder On The 'World Wide Web'

Exactly, and news disseminated very slowly, nor was there very much of it, I suppose. It would take months to find out how your relatives were doing in Australia in the 1800's. Now it's information overload every day. Unlike Bowie in 'the man who fell to earth' most of us cannot view several...
  37. B

Speaking In Tongues

Ah! Ms.Pie. I'd prefer to make sacred music with my bot ( and I don't think even the King of Petomaine did that on Sundays) rather than issue forth with Ms.Snail's oft repeated exhortation in a foreign tongue. And after a Saturday night in our local hostelry drinking a strong draught to great...
  38. B

The Next X-Prize. Holy Grails of Science

Are you hoping to travel back to a time before you got a major disease, supposing that you were unfortunate enough to develop one, or do you just feel that the world is overpopulated anyway? Most would like to see disease eradicated and the prospect of a very long life ahead of them. I...
  39. B

Virtual Terror: Murder On The 'World Wide Web'

Well we tend to live in a rather sheltered world in this country. So called standards of decency and censorship filter out what is seen as downright nasty. Watching quite a bit of satellite tv I see, for instance, that German tv show the full gory details of motorway accidents in close-up, body...
  40. B

Most Haunted: Poo Or Boo?

Well, as you mentioned radio 1... and presumably heard Robbie Williams and Scott Mills going on about mh this week.... my friend's daughter Laura, Scott and two more of the production team are to take up Yvette's challenge to spend a given length of time each, ON THEIR OWN, in the 'haunted'...
  41. B

Al Qaeda Works for the CIA: Why Shouldn't I Believe This?

Exactly, He's responsible for all of it! And I'm an Atheist. It seems We have to have some-one to direct our fear and spite at. Once when I was a kid I was approached by a nutter bearing a huge cross from which hung a banner declaring the "End of the World is Nigh". He was foaming at the mouth...
  42. B

antarctic ice melting - spooky?

Isn't the gulf stream some form of convection, the sea gets colder toward the polar regions, sinks and warmer more salty sea comes in from the equatorial regions? Or is that too simple. Increased warmth and salinity would cause more melting, I suppose.
  43. B

the secret life of objects (The Creamer!)

Ah, bakelite, time was when most radio cabinets were made from that stuff and the sulfur gradually bloomed on the surface....and James, my gran also had an aluminium and glass Bel cream maker, used to ask me to pump the handle for a penny when her arm got knackered!:D
  44. B

Red Mercury

I thought 'red mercury' was another name for cinnebar, a naturally occuring ore, an oxide of mercury which easily breaks down to give, well, mercury? poisonous but not radioactive.
  45. B

Belly Button Plant

Yep, a friend of mine as a kid stuck a dried pea up his nose and....well you can guess the rest!:eek!!!!:
  46. B

Typical Sound During A Haunting

The couple who own the pub opposite to me used to hear footsteps going across the floor above the bar, though there was never anyone above. They held a kind of 'contact and put at rest' ceremony and to date nothing has been heard since. The footsteps were clear and not dragging or shuffling as...
  47. B

the secret life of objects (The Creamer!)

Well, nothing goes on in my flat, I don't even have a hamster any more.:sad: but a fascinating post to think on.
  48. B

Mist or Ghost

HeHeHe! how can I save it for halloween?
  49. B

Psychic Pooches Prognosticate The Presidency

They predicted the "official" version of the count and not the actuality? Or is this dodgy ground?;)
  50. B

Gruesome ghost photo?

wow! christmas comes early in Avebury...get's earlier every year! Not very convincing. The blood is trickling across his face, so he should have been lying down on his left side, so why is he standing up ?
Back