• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

‘Old Person Smell' Is A Scientific And Inescapable Part Of Ageing

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It's something that we're all aware of when visiting an elderly relative, or somewhere with older people living there, but the musty odour that can be smelled in those places actually has a scientific explanation behind it, and it's perfectly normal.

So, it's often - pretty unfairly - referred to as 'old person smell' but, while there are loads of common misconceptions that persist about it, it's actually nothing to do with poor hygiene.

old-people.jpg

According to a study in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, it's all down to something called 2-nonenal. That's a chemical compound that is created when omega-7 fatty acids on the skin break down through oxidisation.

The human skin starts producing more of those fatty acids as the body's natural anti-oxidant defences start to deteriorate at around age 40.

2-nonenal is not water soluble, and therefore can stay on the skin no matter how much you wash it, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be something that happens to everyone.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/inter...ntific-and-inescapable-part-of-aging-20210327

maximus otter (Aged 65, you cheeky little ****s, l know your father!)

Last edited:
In this factual documentary, William Wonka makes the observation that young Charlie's aged relatives do indeed smell like old people:

Last edited:
I refer you to the answer we gave earlier. A good reminder for everyone.

the increasing number of instances where members 'drop' photographs or videos (usually YouTube) without any contextualising or editorial comment.

The reasons, generally speaking, why this is undesirable are that:

• Videos frequently move or disappear, leaving a trail or broken links and zero clues as to where replacements can be found.
  • Those browsing the board using 'accessibility aids' of various flavours are often stumped by the lack of explicatory text and tags, and are hence excluded from portions of otherwise intelligible threads.
  • It subverts the whole 'discussion' concept that we've always sought to promote alongside the archive function that the board has developed.

from https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-4#post-2052419 and following posts.

Frides

From Wikipedia > Old Person Smell
Old person smell is known as kareishū (加齢臭) in Japan, where much social value is placed on personal grooming, and specific upmarket odor-eliminating soaps are targeted at more elderly consumers.
Is this a gap in the UK/US market?

Ha ha ha yes at last scientific proof that I smell funny and it’s not my fault no more showers for me

Back