• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

“Haunted People Syndrome”

Coal

Account Retired
Nice (open access) paper here on the hypothesis that what folk experience is linked solidly to their beliefs, social settings and ideologies and so on, very much discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't think where else to put this, so...here it is.

Conceptual and Clinical Implications of a “Haunted People Syndrome”
https://e-space.mmu.ac.uk/628076/8/2021-27007-001aam.pdf

Evidence suggests that subjective and objective anomalies associated with ghostly
episodes form a unidimensional Rasch scale and that these interconnected “signs or
symptoms” arguably describe a syndrome model. This view predicts that symptom
perception—that is, the phenomenology of these anomalous episodes—can be markedly
skewed by an experient’s psychological set. This is impacted, in turn, by psychosocial
variables that affect attentional, perceptual, and interpretational processes. Therefore, we
present an overview that discusses how (a) Belief in the Paranormal, (b) Religious
Ideology, (c) Ideological Practice, (d) Social Desirability, (e) Latency, and (f) Environ-
mental Setting ostensibly influence the contents or interpretations of accounts. These
experiential details are similarly expected to reveal insights into the psychodynamics
being expressed or contextualized via these narratives. Future research in this area should
help to validate and clarify the proposed syndrome model, as well as explore which
nuances in the phenomenology of ghostly episodes reflect idiosyncrasies of experients’
psychological set versus the nature of the core phenomenon itself.

Nice (open access) paper here on the hypothesis that what folk experience is linked solidly to their beliefs, social settings and ideologies and so on, very much discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't think where else to put this, so...here it is.
Thanks for sharing this. Nice to have the different contributing factors articulated. The references represent several different fields (including knowledge management - go team!), which I have more confidence in because it reduces the chances of tunnel vision in framing the problem. I have a sense of satisfaction in coming across interdisciplinary approaches.

Back