• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

Bowie imagines himself being initiated into a forbidden sect offered salvation by way of musical Gnosticism: To know yourself you must cast aside the illusion of convention, freely eat what the serpent offers, but never be ashamed of the knowledge you find. Themes of superhuman masters haunt the entire album, but it's unclear if Bowie imagines himself their equal or their pawn.

Image: A detail of the cover of Peter Bebergal's book, Season of the Witch. (Supplied)

It's on his 1971 album, Hunky Dory, Bowie's fascination with magic becomes less opaque as he makes reference to things fairly well known by other seekers in the early seventies. Occultist Aleister Crowley gets his necessary nod on 'Quicksand '— a downbeat song about a spiritual crisis.

Bowie's biographer Nicholas Pegg makes particular note of the song 'Oh! You Pretty Things', with its warning that 'Homo sapiens have outgrown their use.' Pegg believes this is a nod to the writing of Edward Bulwer-Lytton. In his 1871 novel, The Coming Race, a man finds an entrance to the hollow earth where he discovers ancient superpeople described as a 'race akin to man's, but infinitely stronger of form and grandeur of aspect' who use an energy called 'vril' to perform wondrous feats such as controlling everything from the weather to emotions.

Did you know Rhythm Divine is also a podcast? Subscribe on iTunes, the ABC Radio app or your favourite podcasting app and listen later.

This delightfully strange story might have gone the way of other quaint nineteenth-century fantasies, but for Morning of the Magicians by Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier, first published in France in 1960 and translated into English in 1963, which created a wave of esoteric speculation and occult conspiracy theories still being felt today. The authors were inspired by the writer Charles Hoy Fort, who, in the first decades of the twentieth century, used an inheritance to spend his time in the New York Public Library collecting stories and data from a wide range of sources, all of which suggests an underlying and connected web of paranormal and supernatural phenomena.

More in next post

Using Fort's method, Pauwels and Bergier outlined a secret history in which important historical figures intuited their own role in shaping a cosmic destiny for mankind, aliens had visited mankind during the first days of Western civilization, and where alchemy and modern physics were not in opposition. The seventies also needed a messenger who could personify astronomical dreams and occult permutations, a figure of decadence and wisdom who could deliver a rock and roll testament to what it's like to fall between the worlds. Only Bowie could imagine such a creature.

Image: David Bowie poses with Twiggy in Paris for the cover of his 'Pin Ups' album. (Getty/Justin de Villeneuve)

Bowie's next release would create one of the most iconic and powerful rock personas and albums of all time: Ziggy Stardust. Forgive the hyperbole, but in what is the one of the greatest rock and roll albums of all time, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Bowie subverted the grandeur of space flight along with the wonder and excitement over the moon walk and turned the cosmos into a place of ominous mystery, where fallen alien messiahs would learn to play guitar.

Bowie synthesized the spiritual hopes and fears of the seventies without ever resorting to New Age platitudes. Ziggy is not here to experiment on humans, he is here to experiment on himself, seeking forbidden knowledge in the urban wastes of earth.

Listen: The Music Show on David Bowie Is

In 1973, Rolling Stone arranged a meeting between the two poles of cultural transgression: William Burroughs and David Bowie. Burroughs occupied a central place in the underground pantheon. Both gay and a drug addict, he explored these aspects of himself through some of the most challenging and disturbing novels written in English.

Bowie was his Gemini twin, a wrecker of mores who was reaping fame and fortune as the deranged but beautiful creature of pop music. Burroughs might have been looking for a way into the mainstream, and might have believed rubbing elbows with Bowie would get him closer.

Image: Ziggy Stardust era Bowie in LA, 1973. (Getty/ Michael Ochs Archives)

During their talk, Bowie describes the full mythos behind Ziggy, describing a race of alien superbeings called the 'infinites,' living black holes using Ziggy as a vessel to give themselves a form people could comprehend. Burroughs countered with his own vision to create an institute to help people achieve greater awareness so humanity will be ready when we make eventual contact with alien life forms.

Bowie's fascination with alien Gnosticism gave way to a return to the decadent magic of Man Who Sold the World, particularly with the album Diamond Dogs, one of the most frightening albums of the 1970s. The warning of an imminent apocalypse in the song 'Five Years on Ziggy Stardust' is realized in the dystopian urban wasteland where 'fleas the size of rats sucked on rats the size of cats.' The only hope is in the drugs and the memory of love. The track 'Sweet Thing' is a beautiful killer of a song, Bowie's voice hitting the high notes as if desperate: 'Will you see that I'm scared and I'm lonely?'

Diamond Dogs might be a fictional vision, but the truth underlying it was Bowie's increasing and prodigious cocaine use, and an even deeper curiosity with the occult. Supercharged by coke, a drug known for its side effect of throat-gripping paranoia, Bowie's interest in magic could only turn ugly.

This is an extract from Season of the Witch: How the Occult Saved Rock and Roll by Peter Bebergal, published by Tarcher/Penguin.

Listen to the full program
Sunday 10 July 2016

Author Peter Bebergal joins The Rhythm Divine to explore David Bowie's eclectic spiritual life.

Rob Fripp's guitarwork is fascinating.

I agree, but the guitar on this is Adrian Belew. I think it's constructed from several takes which were heavily fucked about with effects then pieced together, producing something you'd never otherwise come up with.

Eno got all the musicians to swap instruments as one of his oblique strategies so guitarist Carlos Alomar is playing drums, which gives it it's cranky edge. The only one playing his actual instrument is Belew. Great track though.

Bowie's biographer Nicholas Pegg makes particular note of the song 'Oh! You Pretty Things', with its warning that 'Homo sapiens have outgrown their use.'

Erm, I think the line he's referring to is "You gotta make way for the Homo Superior"

Granted it probably did get lifted by The Tomorrow People, although that might not have been quite what Bowie was getting at. :rofl:

Erm, I think the line he's referring to is "You gotta make way for the Homo Superior"

Granted it probably did get lifted by The Tomorrow People, although that might not have been quite what Bowie was getting at. :rofl:

No, Pegg is correct: that is a line - 'Homo sapiens have outgrown their use' in the song.

That's the best line in the song!
I was a fan from my early teens.

New David Bowie Box Set to Include Unreleased Album 'The Gouster'
"Its meaning was attitude, an attitude of pride and hipness," Bowie collaborator Tony Visconti says of album title

A new David Bowie box set is in the works. The follow-up to last year's Five Years (1969-1973) box set, the forthcoming Who Can I Be Now? (1974-1976) will include Bowie's complete unreleased album The Gouster. The album morphed and eventually became Young Americans.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...includes-unreleased-album-the-gouster-w430406

Been having a Bowie week. My player has only two albums currently - Hunky Dory and Blackstar. On regular rotation currently. Still adore Lazarus. My favourite Bowie tune since She'll Drive The Big Car.

In a curious outcrop of cross-genrefication, last night on Radio2 Simon Mayo was praising the Brighton Beach Boys summer Bowie tribute shows.

Now that's got to be an interesting bit of brand blending.....

DAVID BOWIE, CELEBRATED BY HIS FRIENDS

Cutting Room, a mid-sized food-and-drink joint, is a space somewhere between elegant and oddball, with cavalier sight lines and a grandiose proscenium arch that obscures many views of the stage. Before the show, I couldn’t see it at all. When I heard drumsticks click together, and the joyous, defiant opening guitar of “Rebel Rebel,” I rushed to the railing, excited—sorry, nice couple eating dinner—and stayed there the rest of the night. Henry Hey, floppy-haired and tranquil, stood at a keyboard at center stage right, surrounded by the musicians he had organized, smiling like a benevolent spaceship commander. Milioti sang “Changes,” low and reedy, without hitting the unhinged heights she’d had to reach in “Lazarus,” when she was in character. “Lazarus,” which begins performances in London in late October, is Bowie and Enda Walsh’s highly stylized riff on “The Man Who Fell to Earth,” directed by Ivo van Hove, with Michael C. Hall in the central role as a dissolute, khaki-wearing zillionaire who wants to return to outer space. Musically, it functions as a sort of Bowie retrospective. In the New York production, the band was behind a glass wall, and I had wanted a more visceral connection to the music; here, I had it.

Hall came onstage in a black T-shirt and did some aggressive microphone adjusting. At the first, freaky notes of “Ashes to Ashes,” there was a new thrill in the air. Hall was raw and in command, occasionally singing with his eyes closed. “They got a message from the action man,” he sang. He extended an arm up, rock-star style, and pointed a finger in the air. “I’m happy; hope you’re happy, too.” As a presence, Hall has an edge that, to me, comes from mystery and a hint of menace. He played a serial killer on “Dexter,” of course, but his peevish undertaker David Fisher on “Six Feet Under” was no more reassuring. (I wish I’d seen what he did with Hedwig.) As a performer, he doesn’t exude a need to be loved; here, without a character to interpret, he became both more accessible and more enigmatic. ...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/sa...celebrated-by-his-friends?mbid=social_twitter

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-1_21-30-29.jpeg
    upload_2016-10-1_21-30-29.jpeg
    1.8 KB · Views: 7
New David Bowie Recordings Featured on ‘Lazarus’ Cast Recording
By Jeff Giles September 12, 2016 9:08 AM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bowie-lazarus-cast-recording/
Lazarus.jpg

LondonTheatreDirect.com
An assortment of songs that’s being billed as David Bowie‘s last recordings will be included in the cast recording of his Lazarus musical when it arrives next month.

The two-disc set, due Oct. 21, includes Bowie’s versions of the Lazarus songs “No Plan,” “Killing a Little Time” and “When I Met You” — all recorded with producer Tony Visconti and the band Bowie used for his final album, 2016’s Blackstar.

The Lazarus cast album arrives after the show’s successful off-Broadway run in New York and prior to its next engagement, which begins Nov. 8 at the King’s Cross Theatre in London. Ticketing information is available through the Lazarus website.

The Guardian reports that the cast album was recorded on Jan. 11, 2016 — and when they arrived at the studio, the singers, musicians and personnel were “shocked and saddened to learn that Bowie had passed away the evening before. Their emotional performances that day are captured on this recording.”

Lazarus star Michael C. Hall is scheduled to be on hand at the Mercury Prize ceremony on Sept. 15, where Blackstar is considered the favorite to earn this year’s honor. He’ll perform the song’s title number with the Lazarus house band.

‘Lazarus Cast Album’ Track Listing
“Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart)” – Ricky Nelson
“Lazarus” – Michael C. Hall & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“It’s No Game” – Michael C. Hall, Lynn Craig & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“This Is Not America” – Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“The Man Who Sold the World” – Charlie Pollack
“No Plan” – Sophia Anne Caruso
“Love Is Lost” – Michael Esper & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“Changes” – Cristin Milioti & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“Where Are We Now” – Michael C. Hall & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“Absolute Beginners” – Michael C. Hall, Cristin Milioti, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso, Krystina Alabado & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“Dirty Boys” – Michael Esper
“Killing A Little Time” – Michael C. Hall
“Life on Mars” – Sophia Anne Caruso
“All the Young Dudes” – Nicholas Christopher, Lynn Craig, Michael Esper, Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“Sound and Vision” – David Bowie
“Always Crashing in the Same Car” – Cristin Militia
“Valentine’s Day” – Michael Esper & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“When I Met You” – Michael C. Hall & Krystina Alabama
“Heroes – 4:43” – Michael C. Hall, Sophia Anne Caruso & Original New York Cast of Lazarus
“Lazarus” – David Bowie
“No Plan” – David Bowie
“Killing a Little Time” – David Bowie
“When I Met You” – David Bowie

Every David Bowie Single Ranked

Read More: New David Bowie Recordings Featured on 'Lazarus' Cast Recording | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-bowie-lazarus-cast-recording/?trackback=tsmclip

Seems like a suitable track for today... and curiously, shares it's name with an unrelated track by another very recently deceased artist.

When I was little back in the 1970s 2 of my favourite tracks were Life on Mars by David Bowie and Morning has Broken by Cat Stevens - I liked the piano sound.

It was only recently that I discovered that the piano on both tracks was played by the same guy.

Saturday night, BBC2 at nine: David Bowie The Last Five Years. Sounds essential.

Well, that was an excellent documentary, wish it had been three hours long, even at that duration there seemed to be more to say. Didn't realise Bowie had been so hands on with his Lazarus musical, pity it hasn't been very well received. Loved the clip of him saying he would never actually want to get into a spaceship and he was too scared to go down to the end of his garden never mind off the planet! Also liked him telling the cameraman filming him when he was having a chat with Damien Hirst to fuck off, he definitely looked like he meant it.

I see the same team's first "Five Years" doc on Bowie is repeated next Friday, BBC Four. Think I'll have to catch that too, never saw it first time around.

Yeah- Rick Wakeman. He was everywhere back in the 70's.
On the News Quiz last year, Miles Jupp told a story about working with Rick Wakeman for a charity gig, where he asked what it felt like to know he'd played on "Life on Mars". Wakeman said "Yeah, well you have to remember I played on a lot of Des O'Connor tracks as well..."

Back