• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

Thanks.

I'm sprung. That and Diamond Dogs are the two I've never given as much attention to. Have crappy vinyl of both.

A monument of Changes.

World's first David Bowie statue unveiled in Aylesbury
  • 4 hours ago
  • _100563199_bowie1.jpg
Image captionThe bronze statue was unveiled in Aylesbury on Sunday
The first ever statue of David Bowie has been unveiled in the town where he debuted Ziggy Stardust.

The bronze sculpture, entitled Earthly Messenger, can be found in Aylesbury's Market Square.

It features a likeness of Bowie in 2002 regarding a selection of his alter egos down the years, with Ziggy at the front.

Speakers mounted above the life-size piece will play a Bowie song every hour.

Singer-songwriter Howard Jones unveiled the piece and called it a "result for Aylesbury".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43513296

Is this the same town that wants to change its name to AylesBowie, despite Dame Dave never having so much as visited the place?

A monument of Changes.

World's first David Bowie statue unveiled in Aylesbury
  • 4 hours ago
  • _100563199_bowie1.jpg
Image captionThe bronze statue was unveiled in Aylesbury on Sunday
The first ever statue of David Bowie has been unveiled in the town where he debuted Ziggy Stardust.

The bronze sculpture, entitled Earthly Messenger, can be found in Aylesbury's Market Square.

It features a likeness of Bowie in 2002 regarding a selection of his alter egos down the years, with Ziggy at the front.

Speakers mounted above the life-size piece will play a Bowie song every hour.

Singer-songwriter Howard Jones unveiled the piece and called it a "result for Aylesbury".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43513296

The faces do look like his, I'm impressed.

Is this the same town that wants to change its name to AylesBowie, despite Dame Dave never having so much as visited the place?
He performed there, apparently.

But he performed lots of places, what's so special about Aylesbury?

It says in the article; it's where he debuted the persona of Ziggy Stardust (at the Friars Club). I believe that's also where he first played the Hunky Dory album live.

Friars Aylesbury is a music club that runs in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England.[1] It opened in 1969 but closed down twice, once in 1970 for a period of nine months and again in 1984 for a period of twenty-five years. Friars Aylesbury reopened in June 2009 to tie in with its fortieth anniversary.[2]

Friars Aylesbury ran as a music club in the market town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire between 1969 and 1984 in three distinct phases denoted by the venue in the town. Over these fifteen years, there were various trials and tribulations which saw Friars close to bankruptcy more than once but it survived and presented the best artists of its day and is acknowledged as being heavily responsible for the subsequent success of such artists as David Bowie, Genesis, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Cockney Rebel, Sailor, Stackridge, Stiff Little Fingers and more. Fans and artists loved the club, not least because of the atmosphere and the fact they were treated well by people who were genuine music enthusiasts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friars_Aylesbury

Turn and face the strange ch ch ch ch ch changes.
These children are immune to your consultations.
They're quite aware of what they're going thru.
Ch ch ch ch ch changes.

This song is my favourite from his early stuff. I was listening to this well high on grass in 1988. David Bowie made me feel like more.

Well, at least I'm a bit more educated in Bowieana (?) now.

Apparently we only have the word of the bloke who commissioned the statue that Bowie came up with the Ziggy Stardust persona in Aylesbury. It's a bit "well, he would say that".

Also, the moron who defaced the statue and wrote a message about feeding the homeless instead seems to be under the misapprehension it's a public erection. It's not, it was part crowdfunded and part privately funded. The clean up operation thanks to his actions has to be funded by the taxpayer, however.

Apparently we only have the word of the bloke who commissioned the statue that Bowie came up with the Ziggy Stardust persona in Aylesbury. It's a bit "well, he would say that".

Not really. We have the dates for the Ziggy Stardust Tour.

Back