• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

drink Newcastle Brown and sing Meaningful Lyrics while doing both down the main streets of blameless County Durham villages :oops:

Frides, I thought you were from Scotland. Which County Durham villages are you talking about? I grew up in one and know quite a few of them well.
(Nice photos btw - and sorry to go off topic a bit)

Yes, am a Scot! but family reasons had me moving around England with my blood parents and then staying with various relatives. Didn't get back to Scotland for c30 years :eek: although my parents got back after c20.

Lived in Durham City and then Willington, near Crook and Bishop Auckland.

and where? coxhoe, brancpeth, gilesgate, the City, trimdon, aycliffe, Esh winning, spennymoor, middleton one row..... I wasn't driving so I'm hazy on the routes! In the summer we used to go up the rivers and onto the pennines so Frosterly way......

happy times :) although I was permanently sleep deprived :rofl:

We seemed to go to Bear Park a lot for some reason which now escapes me :)

which village is yours?

That’s a lot of places and I am very familiar with all of them. I’m in Gilesgate now, but grew up in a place called Evenwood.
Frosterley, Willington, Crook and Bishop Auckland - I know them all so well.
Such a small world.

Isn't it just? If I had to move back to England, County Durham is somewhere I'd be happy to go.

Evenwood - between Bishop Auckland and Barnard Castle? or have I got the wrong place entirely?

Aye hinny that was the fun of it (well, part of the fun of it ;) ) to be such a good girl on the one hand and such a bad girl on the other! Well, not really bad, in retrospect I think I was more of a mascot than anything else :oops:

and I always preferred the Newky Amber to Brown so I really was a lightweight!

PS having divided Gaul into three parts he attacked fiercely at dawn.....

Newky broon always got me bowkin', wor pet, so I stuck to Coopers Sparkling Ale - a sound decision when I got them in. I like your take on life though, considering what was going on in your life - I loved my bikes and blatting 'em to clear my head - it put things into perspective.

PS..."Ils sont fous ces romains",

Never seen him. I remember collecting pictures of him as a teenager - I'd never seen such a beautiful man.

Got into him at Uni when I met people who had the ALBUMS rather than the singles. Oh my goodness!

To me Frideswide, he was such an unusual human being, with his one dilated eye, his gangly sensitivities, his freak value, and his message of 'turn and face the strange changes' over here in australia, much to the extent that we hoped that initially, he really was the Starman.

We wanted to believe that he was one of the first from Freecloud, or somewhere else, and that the mountain would move it's eyes, but without the repercussions inflicted upon that denizen of the Freecloud mountain tribe, especially after the last 4 years of this country eating its young by sending them to Vietnam, because we knew that something, or some one that threw out this message that we weren't alone, and that this could be wonderful, could change the country - Oh how we hoped.

We believed and hoped that there was a change upon us all that would change our governments, and our society, because what he was singing was so obvious to us all, but like the missionary mystic of peace/love, we stumbled back to cry among the clouds of government supported importation of those damn Thai sticks, and kicked back on the brown rocks from Penang.

Never Mind eh...

Used to live down on The Sands, near the river - so very close to Gilesgate!
Sorry to skinny for turning this thread into something like Friends Reunited.
Frideswide - I don’t know how old you were when you left Durham, but given your liking for Brown Ale and bikes, would you be familiar with any of the following ‘Biker’ pubs?
Sportmans and Queens Head, Bishop Auckland.
Angel and Old Elm Tree, Durham.
Green Dragon, Darlington.

I was underage and looked it until the last two years when I'd got into the habit of sitting outside with the bikes :rofl: Even my best attempts at getting into mischief seemed doomed to fail :rolleyes:

Loved early Bowie. Reckon he peaked with Cygnet Committee and The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud; "the hangman plays the mandolin before he goes to sleep.."

My Bowie moments are limited to the quote onscreen for The Breakfast Club "And these children that you spit on as they try to build their world ...", dating a girl called Sophie when I was 10 who was a huge Bowie fan, buying my Dad Dancing In The Streets covered by Bowie and Jagger because he was a Stones fan and relating more and more each year to the song Under Pressure ..

The Dancing in the Streets video is the campest thing you'll ever see two straight men do (Bowie said he was gay in the 70s then said he was only joking and regretted ever mentioning it in the 80s).

Always like seeing him in films, I don't think he's much of an actor but he has an interesting presence that can contribute to the off-kilter mood of the right production. The Man Who Fell to Earth is the obvious choice, rarely was a performer so appropriate for a role of a space alien, but even in one scene in Into the Night he managed to steal the movie.

The Dancing in the Streets video is the campest thing you'll ever see two straight men do (Bowie said he was gay in the 70s then said he was only joking and regretted ever mentioning it in the 80s).
I thought he said he was bi rather than gay?

I thought he said he was bi rather than gay?

He seems to have been a bit confused. Whatever, in the 80s he said he regretted speaking about it. His lovely wife Eamonn keeps him straight now, one assumes.

He seems to have been a bit confused. Whatever, in the 80s he said he regretted speaking about it. His lovely wife Eamonn keeps him straight now, one assumes.
Eamonn?
Ah, you threw that in on purpose! :D

Didn't he end up saying that he was bi in theory but straight in practice? I only remember because Brett Anderson said exactly the same thing, the wimpy plagiarist.

(I love Suede, but I'd love them even more if it weren't for his over-earnest pretentions)

I was born, bred and buttered in County Durham. Raised on Fed and smoked the only fags you get up there. Embassy Regal.
I used to walk into Durham at weekends and believe I picked up my first copy of FT at Mugwump. I was up there before Xmas and was delighted to see it was still there. Not as the hippy shop I remember, but still there nonetheless. I used to get my creepy horror comics from the market.

I think Durham City has the best entry by train you can find in Britain.

Back on thread.... I also quite like Bowie. He's an underrated creative talent and every album offers something new. I can't imagine anyone going through his songs and not finding something to like. The songs that regularly haunt me aren't the big hits but the more plaintive DJ, the Cactus cover version and the pre punk Friday on my Mind.

Good choices?

Mugwump. I was up there before Xmas and was delighted to see it was still there. Not as the hippy shop I remember,

on the road up to Cathedral Green? I always thought of it in the same breath as Meander......

and you are right about the train approach. Fantastic!

on the road up to Cathedral Green? I always thought of it in the same breath as Meander......

and you are right about the train approach. Fantastic!

That's the one. It's all scented candles now but it used to be all Roger Dean posters and Fat Freddy's Cat comics. I used to buy records upstairs at the House of Andrews. No more but the big teapot is still hanging outside the building as you walk from Mugwump to the market.

The songs that regularly haunt me aren't the big hits but the more plaintive DJ, the Cactus cover version and the pre punk Friday on my Mind.

Good choices?
Very good. Personally I like a wide range of Bowie stuff from across his career (too many people tend to just go "Oooh no, anything apart from Ziggy / TWD / Berlin / etc is just crap..".) Even the most "eh?" albums have at least one or two redeeming features. The workout mix I use at the gym - whenever I go back to it - has Suffragette City, Holy Holy, Modern Love and Scary Monsters on it, Bowie being the biggest presence on the mix (followed by Led Zep, Floyd and PIL.)
For an alternative view of it, try the music-less video version..(there's lots of these: some are very very funny indeed.)

Hunky Dory is an all time classic. Mostly ignored on release, eventually gaining recognition following the success of Ziggy. It's a perfect album - from the Lyrics of Pretty Things to the Mick Ronson Queen Bitch riff.

Strangely enough my first exposure to Bowie was via the Laughing Gnome being played on the Tony Blackburn Saturday morning Radio 1 kids show (I know, I know...). Growing up I was always aware of Bowie from watching TOTP, and in the early 80s my Dad bought a K-Tel type Bowie compilation that I 'borrowed' and played rather a lot. Bowie was very much a big influence on a lot of the goth/punk scene I was into during mid 80s.

ca386e382c796637d20a381bf5955640.png

Happy Birthday, Mr Jones. New album officially released today. I've got mine loaded in an dready for continuous rotation. I'm excited.

Back