Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
adavidbowie001.gif

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
First shown four years ago, this retrospective of his final years - with some interesting older stuff - really is very good, by no means a "greatest hits" puff piece but a proper examination of how he worked and faced his imminent demise, loads of insights from collaborators and friends, and some very poignant content. Currently on iPlayer.

David Bowie: The Last Five Years

Sid

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
First shown four years ago, this retrospective of his final years - with some interesting older stuff - really is very good, by no means a "greatest hits" puff piece but a proper examination of how he worked and faced his imminent demise, loads of insights from collaborators and friends, and some very poignant content. Currently on iPlayer.

David Bowie: The Last Five Years
1610979280827.png

Took me most of my life before I eventually came across, and realised the fact that David Bowie and his family (before he became famous) lived just ten minutes walk away from where I lived in Greater London during my younger day's!

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Bowie and Brel.

Every Bowie fan will surely know and love his two famous covers of Brel songs - Amsterdam and My Death:

This article makes a strong case that many other hat-tips or homages to Brel are liberally dotted throughout Bowie's songs.
Bowie himself cited Jacques Brel as one of the three main influences on him (the others being Iggy Pop and Lou Reed).

https://collectingbrel.com/2017/04/12/beyond-coincidence-jacques-brel-david-bowie/

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
Did this work?
I speculate that the GS show inspired the cynical rock supergod scenes in the great film Velvet Goldmine where The Fan turns his back on the corporatised artist. It looks like Serious Moonlight in the film, but this was the tour that really drew a lot of criticism because it felt very shallow in terms of concept and delivery. All slick, no soul. It is better if you drop the garrish theatrics and just listen, but that wasn't the purpose. The music hasn't aged well, apart from Absolute Beginners. A rare miss? A dud? Or just prejudiced due to unfamiliarity?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Now that would have been interesting.

Here's a bit of Bowie trivia of which I was unaware.

One character from the novels who didn't appear in the Hannibal series is the title character's uncle Count Robert Lecter, who first appeared in Hannibal Rising. While Robert in the novel is short-lived and ultimately doesn't play a major role, showrunner Bryan Fuller had big plans for the Count on Hannibal. In fact, he first offered the role to David Bowie during the second season, who expressed interest.
https://boingboing.net/2021/03/22/d...lay-count-robert-lecter-on-nbcs-hannibal.html

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score