• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

...never seen before and found, from 1997...
I was watching the video again there and noticed this suggestion at the very end...

Screenshot_20210703-230226~2.jpg

There are two further YouTube suggestions - completely new to myself and maybe likewise?

London, 2002

The Genius of David Bowie

Uploaded 8 months ago and described as a 'BBC documentary'.

Some wonderful archive material here!

Last edited:
There's an online auction organised by Halls Fine Arts and the Dory Gallery of the collection of photos, sculptures and artwork belonging to artist Edward Bell, if anyone is interested. He designed the album cover for Scary Monsters (1980) and worked with Bowie in the 1990s - original diptych below.

david bowie diptych.jpg

Can you imagine how much Bowie would have loved this....

R.I.P David Bowie-Space Oddity Gayageum ver. by Luna

Some years ago, I got (through means I won't bore you with- nothing dodgy though) access to Bowie's pay-only website. There was an Ask David thread on the forum where people could leave questions, ans every so often Bowie would choose the best one and answer it. (My question was would he consider covering Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man)

People would leave long questions, or ask about details of his songs or collaborators. You know what question he chose as the best and answered? "What did you have for your dinner last night?"

What a guy!

(Can't remember what his answer was though).

Lost Bowie album set for release

A David Bowie album that was never officially released during his lifetime is to come out the day before what would have been his 75th birthday.
Toy, which was recorded in 2001 and leaked online in 2011, will be released in a three-CD box set on 7 January.

"Toy is like a moment in time captured in an amber of joy, fire and energy," said Bowie's long-time collaborator in a statement.

The singer had hoped to record and release the album quickly, but his then record label Virgin was less enthusiastic.

With Toy shelved, the prolific musician instead focused on what would eventually become his 2002 album Heathen.

An unauthorised version of Toy surfaced online a decade later, giving fans a taste of what Bowie had hoped for the record.

The official version of Toy includes versions of such '60s tracks as I Dig Everything, The London Boys and You've Got A Habit Of Leaving.
Sample track at link.

Written at 19, Bowie here states that he was experiencing mystical states of consciousness at the time he created what came to be called

The Man Who Sold The World​

I don't like the obtuse melody in this version, but it's my first listen and I don't understand it yet. Reeve's guitar is phenomenal, as is Gail-Ann's bass. It's just a little too far removed from the delightful original. Give it time, and it might come together.

Can't recall ever coming across this previously.... :)

David Bowie - Rare out-take - 'Oh! You Pretty Things' - Never Broadcast - HD

An unexpected discovery....

David Bowie & Marc Bolan - Marc Show 28.09.77

There used to be a wry joke about Bowie's appearances on TV shows, that his hosts died soon afterwards.
This was true for Bolan and Bing Crosby but I can't remember any more.

If of interest, have come across the following, uploaded 3 months ago.

A more serious study, rather then featuring performances.

Whoever has put this together, it's insightful.

"David Bowie’s Darkest Character: The Thin White Duke..."

Yep it’s a good retrospective of the late 70s. Posted it upthread.

David Bowie’s movie the Man Who Fell To Earth was a financial loss and misunderstood by the public.

In recent times Rollin Stone put this movie in the best Sci-Fi category, and the British Film Institute called this movie the best late night cult classic.

Maybe your work is more recognized when you are dead.

This should be good!

Genre: Documentary Cast: David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, The Thin White Duke, David Jones Directed by: Brett Morgen Written by: Brett Morgen Producers: Brett Morgen, Debra Eisenstadt, Bill Gerber Executive Producers: Aisha Cohen, Tom Cyrana, Eileen D'Arcy, Kathy Rivkin Daum, Justus Haerder, Ryan Kroft, Hartwig Masuch, Heather Parry, Michael Rapino, Bill Zysblat From Oscar-nominated filmmaker Brett Morgen, director of Cobain: Montage of Heck, and featuring never-before-seen concert footage, MOONAGE DAYDREAM is an immersive cinematic experience; an audio-visual space odyssey that not only illuminates the enigmatic legacy of David Bowie but also serves as a guide to living a fulfilling and meaningful life in the 21st Century. MOONAGE DAYDREAM is not a documentary. It is a genre-defying cinematic experience based on one of the most iconic and global rock stars of all time, destined to be one of the defining cultural moments of the year The film has the full support of Bowie’s estate and features many of his greatest tracks, as well as previously unseen concert footage.

John Cale returns with new single, “Night Crawling”

Evoking the spirit of mid-’70s New York, the song recalling times when Cale and David Bowie would traverse the city at night.

Says Cale, “There was this period around mid-late 70s when David and I would run into each other in NY. There was plenty of talk about getting some work done but of course we’d end up running the streets, sometimes until we couldn’t keep a thought in our heads, let alone actually get a song together! One night we managed to meet up for a benefit concert where I taught him a viola part so we could perform together. When I wrote ‘Night Crawling,’ it was a reflective moment of particular times. That kind of NYC that held art in its grip, strong enough to keep it safe and dangerous enough to keep it interesting.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/john-cale-returns-with-a-new-single-night-crawling-139562/

Went to see Moonage Daydream earlier. A collage of live clips/videos/alternate versions from various parts of his career from Ziggy onwards. Bowie's is the only voice apart from a few interviewers.

Gives some insight into his motives & methods. His sheer front & balls to adopt the ambiguous sexuality in the early 70s & go on mainstream US tv for an interview all glammed up. I’m assuming here that the US was probably even more homophobic than the UK. He talked about putting himself into situations he wasn’t comfortable with as a creative spur.

He needed change, again for creative spur & moved countries a few times as part of that.

Also covers pretty much the rest of his career plus films & art. It’s loud in the cinema - I took earplugs & could still hear it fine.

If you are or ever have been a fan you’ll love it.

Last edited:
Went to see Moonage Daydream earlier. A collage of live clips/videos/alternate versions from various parts of his career from Ziggy onwards. Bowie's is the only voice apart from a few interviewers.

Gives some insight into his motives & methods. His sheer front & balls to adopt the ambiguous sexuality in the early 70s & go on mainstream US tv for an interview all glammed up. I’m assuming here that the US was probably even more homophobic than the UK. He talked about putting himself into situations he wasn’t comfortable with as a creative spur.

He needed change, again for creative spur & moved countries a few times as part of that.

Also covers pretty much the rest of his career plus films & art. It’s loud in the cinema - I took earplugs & could still hear it fine.

If you are or ever have been a fan you’ll love it.
Sounds brilliant. Going Friday.

Back