• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

Si. But we're talking legacies here. I'd rather have been Carlos Alomar for all he gave us as Bowie's axemeister than Rick Wakeman of Yes for all his whateverness.

Again have to disagree here. Don’t even know the name Carlos Alomar (personally) but Rick has left an enormous legacy.

Yup, it's personal taste innit.

Not being a musician and knowing little of the ways of the guitar, it dawned on me only a few years ago that I judged the musicians and bands popular in my youth mainly on the quality of the singing.

A lot of 'eavy metal bands had awesome lead singers and many rock groups could manage respectable harmony.

On the other hand, many of the more cerebral performers had weak whiny voices. I could get that at home for nothing.

So that's how my musical taste was formed, and it's probably no surprise that Techy impressed me early on by singing to me.

Strangely enough, I dreamed last night that I had sex with David Bowie.

These are my favourite ten Bowie albums in order of enjoyment. what are yours?
10. Black Tie White Noise
9. Earthling
8. Reality
7. The Man Who Sold the World
6. Lodger
5. Station To Station
4. Stage
3. Tin Machine
2. Ziggy
1. Hunky Dory

These may be my favourite ten Bowie songs. What are yours?
10. Warszawa
9. The Bewlay Brothers
8. She'll Drive the Big Car
7. Moonage Daydream
6. Modern Love
5. Station To Station
4. The Supermen
3. Seven Years in Tibet
2. Blackstar
1. Quicksand

FWIW, my fav Bowie songs are:

1) Cygnet Committee
2) The Bewley Brothers
3) Five Years
4) All The Madmen
5) The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
6) After All
7) My Death (OK, I know it's Bowie's cover of a Brel song, but the Bowie version is sublime)
8) Life on Mars
9) Rock and Roll Suicide
10) Heroes

Heroes is top of my list.

Heroes is top of my list.

I saw Him do Heroes at Adelaide in...ahhh, the late seventies?

Brilliance - sheer brilliance with a plain wall of neon tubes behind. It was the first song, and from a completely darkened stage he was just THERE - there was dark - then light and Heroes. No intro, no indication that he was there - just light and song.

Belting!

I saw Him do Heroes at Adelaide in...ahhh, the late seventies?

Brilliance - sheer brilliance with a plain wall of neon tubes behind. It was the first song, and from a completely darkened stage he was just THERE - there was dark - then light and Heroes. No intro, no indication that he was there - just light and song.

Belting!
A W E S O M E.

A W E S O M E.

Sadly, Now, whenever I go into a darkened room and turn on the light...it's just a bit of an anticlimax.

Maybe...I could rig up something that plays the first few bars of heroes whenever I turn on a light...:pipe:

Sadly, Now, whenever I go into a darkened room and turn on the light...it's just a bit of an anticlimax.

Maybe...I could rig up something that plays the first few bars of heroes whenever I turn on a light...:pipe:
That can be done easily.

I find this constant reissuing/remastering of albums to be tedious money grabbi
These may be my favourite ten Bowie songs. What are yours?
10. Warszawa
9. The Bewlay Brothers
8. She'll Drive the Big Car
7. Moonage Daydream
6. Modern Love
5. Station To Station
4. The Supermen
3. Seven Years in Tibet
2. Blackstar
1. Quicksand

x10

If I never hear Heroes again it'll be too soon. How did a man with such a hugely varied catalogue end up with just the one song to sum him up, over and over ad nauseam?

If I never hear Heroes again it'll be too soon. How did a man with such a hugely varied catalogue end up with just the one song to sum him up, over and over ad nauseam?

I rated it 10th in the Bowie catalogue, as it captured the Zeitgeist of the Berlin wall perfectly and, let's face it, is a pretty catchy tune.

That's what I said, he had a huge and varied catalogue, yet almost everyone reaches for the same song to sum him up.
It's my favourite track, but I don't think it sums him up.

I seem to be alone in my adoration of Tin Machine's first album. Dunno why. Its a belter - 10/10. Not a dud track.
  1. "Heaven's in Here" (6:01)
  2. "Tin Machine" (3:34)
  3. "Prisoner of Love" (4:50)
  4. "Crack City" (4:36)
  5. "I Can't Read" (4:54)
  6. "Under the God" (4:06)
  7. "Amazing" (3:06)
  8. "Working Class Hero"note (4:38)
  9. "Bus Stop" (1:41)
  10. "Pretty Thing" (4:39)
  11. "Video Crime" (3:52)
  12. "Run" (3:20)*
  13. "Sacrifice Yourself" (2:08)*
  14. "Baby Can Dance" (4:57)

The Royal Mint have made a David Bowie coin. They've also launched one into space and back that you can bid on if you've got too much money ..

abowiecoin.jpg

David Bowie coin launched towards space by Royal Mint - BBC News

Music Legend, David Bowie, features on a brand new UK coin! (westminstercollection.com)

Last edited:
It is a nice design, isnt it?

Stylish and minimalist.

(but does it capture him?)

FWIW, my fav Bowie songs are:

1) Cygnet Committee
2) The Bewley Brothers
3) Five Years
4) All The Madmen
5) The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
6) After All
7) My Death (OK, I know it's Bowie's cover of a Brel song, but the Bowie version is sublime)
8) Life on Mars
9) Rock and Roll Suicide
10) Heroes
Cygnet Commitee gets my vote every time one of THE great rock songs!

Came across this, which I don't recall ever seeing before and if likewise, thought you might enjoy...

"David Bowie 50th Birthday Concert Madison Square Gardens, 1997".

Adam Buxton posted this animated version of one of Bowie's favourite anecdotes to commemorate the five years since his death:

WARNING: VERY STRONG LANGUAGE.

Five years today since he left for his home planet. Maybe if he came back things would get better?

Back