• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

10,000 B.C. See Mammoth Hunters Fight Atlantean Slavers!

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I went to see 10,000 B.C. (2008), last night, whilst waiting for one of my kids, who was attending a Kelly Clarkson Concert. :roll:

An accurate portrayal of prehistory, it is not. If you like battles between Old Stone Age hunters and giant, hairy mammoths, not to mention the giant moa, savage lands and evil Atlantean slavers, this could be the film, for you.

Roland Emmerich who made 'Independence Day,' 'The Day After Tomorrow,' 'Stargate' (this film is almost identical, in parts) and that terrible clunker, 'Godzilla' (1998), has a certain flair for pulp SciFi/fantasy and no mistake.

Significantly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10,000_BC_(film)

At the 2008 Wondercon, Emmerich mentioned the fiction of Robert E. Howard as a primary influence for the film's setting, as well as his love for Quest for Fire and the book Fingerprints of the Gods.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42310

Also Roland was intrigued by a Discovery Channel Special about the mammoths and his love of the movie "Quest for Fire." He felt that now was a good time for such a movie because the CG work necessary to pull it off believable animals was now available. Plus the fusion of history and fantasy was an area he wanted to explore. He was also inspired ny Robert E. Howard's "Conan" stories and felt this is a Hyborian Age story too. He loved the whole idea of the Conan Pre-History.

Yep! It's a fantasy straight out of the old 1930's Weird Tales magazine. So what, if its plot is apparently, very similar to Mel Gibson's Apocalypso and it gets compared to 10 Million Years B.C. It may be a Graham Hancock's eye view of prehistory, which Emmerich apparently shares, but the film is essentially good natured, the CGI is mostly excellent and I know I that could take my 13 year old son to this one and that he'd get a blast out of it. ;)

Okay, so the pyramids and things really are Atlantis? Good. The complete lack of spoken words in the trailers left me with a terrible suspicion that they were pushing Egyptian civilization way back and letting them domesticate woolly mammoths. If there's Atlantis, I can turn on my fantasy eyes and enjoy the CGI megafauna; which, realistically, is always going to be the big draw for a late-Pleistocene movie.

It's come and gone from the first-run theaters here, but my husband and I always planned to go to it at the second-run theater. He doesn't want to pay full matinee price to listen to me bitch about the inaccuracies.

PeniG said:
Okay, so the pyramids and things really are Atlantis? Good. The complete lack of spoken words in the trailers left me with a terrible suspicion that they were pushing Egyptian civilization way back and letting them domesticate woolly mammoths. If there's Atlantis, I can turn on my fantasy eyes and enjoy the CGI megafauna; which, realistically, is always going to be the big draw for a late-Pleistocene movie.

No. It is supposed to be Egypt, complete with Sphinx. But, it's the 10,000 year old Sphinx.

See Graham Hancock's work, for further details. ;)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
PeniG said:

No. It is supposed to be Egypt, complete with Sphinx. But, it's the 10,000 year old Sphinx.

See Graham Hancock's work, for further details. ;)

Maybe is Styx, the name of Egypt in the Hyborian Age. Anyway, do you guys thing it's okay for kids to watch the movie? My six year old is a sucker for mammoths.

Onix_Martinez said:

Maybe is Styx, the name of Egypt in the Hyborian Age. Anyway, do you guys thing it's okay for kids to watch the movie? My six year old is a sucker for mammoths.
Although, 10,000 B.C. is in no way as violent as Apocalypto, 6 might be a bit young for the movie. There are some fairly frightening scenes and the deaths of several mammoths, to be taken into consideration.

PeniG said:
So that means you're going to get your kid my book, right, Mr. Martinez? :)
It's too old for him to read on his own now, but it's a good read-aloud for the motivated kid, says the archeologist of my acquaintance who read it to his 8-year-old.

Hardcover: http://www.amazon.com/000-Years-Los...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207746380&sr=1-1
Or Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/11-000-Years-...d_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207746380&sr=1-2

I will, as soon as it gets published in Spanish or my kid becomes more proficient in English. I am pretty sure he'll like it, he reads my National Geographic whenever he gets the chance, and seems to be very interested in prehistoric animals. Thanks for the tip. :D

this film looks excellent. I may go and see it.

Id love to read your book PeniG, but the library have refused to purchase a copy for my benifit and the benifit of others.

Its ok to kill mammoth; Im in favor of doing in big scary monsters and even I winced over the loving, family friendly, slaughter of the mumakil in LotR...

Back