• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

100 Greatest Scary Moments

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Good show apart from the rubbish links, but how can they get away with showing the end of the films? It'll spoil the surprise for viewers who haven't seen them. I bet when The Wicker Man comes up they'll show the ending!

While there is the occasional interesting or unusual clip in these list programmes, on the whole they are lazy Tv made by a nostalgic 40something generation (of which I am one) that is now commissioning or producing much of TV. I hate the usual suspects of non-entities that appear making banal or cliched comments - " The hulk never rips his trousers etc .." Yeah , no one has ever said that before, how original. Thanks for that insight.

It just needs Richard Blackwood to appear telling us how some programme has made him shit his pants.

Lucy Porter is cute though......

If you were listing the greatest scary moments, would you *really* include the voice of the Mysterons? :rolleyes:
Captain Black was far more scary. ;)

The clips varied a lot and I missed the beginning, which I was glad of when I found out there was a clip of that film Dead Of Night with Michael Redgrave and the ventriloquist dummy. :eek:

This kind of prog leads you on. You keep wondering what the next clip will be, and before you know it, you've sat through 2 hours of the stuff, and wonder why you bothered!

Captain Black was far more scary.
Nah, he was SEXY. Mmmm, that devil-may-care stubble, and those (literally) chiselled features! ;)

Nice pic of him here and here he is again looking even sexier in that cool uniform!

Ahem. Where was I? Oh yes, Scary moments.
How about when you realise that your first crush was on a male bimbo whose acting could only be described as 'wooden'?
Whaddya mean, that happens to everyone??:D

escargot said:
How about when you realise that your first crush was on a male bimbo whose acting could only be described as 'wooden'?
Whaddya mean, that happens to everyone??:D

It wasn't as wooden as the acting in 'Space 1999'.

Now Lady Penelope...we're talking Posh Totty there.......

Didn't see the hundred scariest moments, have they shown the bit from 'Don't Look Now' where the little figure in the red duffle coat finally turns round and turns out to be a wizened dwarf with a huge knife....nearly went through the ceiling at the cinema when I first saw that.

Timble said:
Now Lady Penelope...we're talking Posh Totty there.......
If we're talking about 'Supermarionation' totty here, what about Venus from 'Fireball XL5' ?

little figure in the red duffle coat finally turns round and turns out to be a wizened dwarf with a huge knife
Don't think that's been on yet. Can't wait!:eek:

(What REALLY scared me in a fillum was when the robot guy in 'Alien' has his head blown off and the crew wire it up to make it tell them what's going on.
I must have missed something there because when I saw it at the cinema, I still thought he was supposed to be a real bloke who'd been killed and had just his head resurrected (a la Frankenstein) just to answer a few qustions. The horror of that stayed with me for years until some kind soul explained that, no, he was a machine, and it didn't hurt.....:rolleyes:)

The scariest TV moment I can think of was the news broadcast that told us George W Bush had (finally) won the election.

I agreed with the choices of those godawful public announcment things telling you what to do in the event of a nuclear strike ... that was a frightening time to be a child/teenager :eek!!!!:

I fell asleep on the floor last night (as i normally do) and I woke up at 2.30am to find that the video I had been watching had long finished and instead on the TV screen I saw a few seconds of a very strange horror film.

The whole scene lasted probably 10 seconds at the most but is thoroughly spooked me. Everything was a very bright green and I remember a shot of man who looked zombie like and deformed (limbs at odd angles) and then a woman trying to raise her head from her hands but again having that strange slightly deformed look.......arrrghhhh.

I vaugely remember a voice-over but by this time I had switched the channel in a fright. It was odd and I am fully prepared to believe I was coming out of a nightmare and imagined it all (I've been prone to quite a few nightmares recently) but the odd thing is, is that the channel it appeared on is one of the ones that stop airing at midnight......so maybe I was getting a horror film beamed into my house from some kind of digital mix-up........although the nightmare explanation seems more plausible.

Anyway, I got up, made a cup of coffee, watched the news and felt a lot better after that.........thank you all for listening :D

If anybody recognises the film, let me know, because if it does exist, it's damn scary.

Well, at that time you could have just been catching the end of the original Roger Corman version of Little Shop of Horrors. That's the only thing I can think of.

Might have been but it was rather 'Ring'- like in atomsphere. I'm ashamed to admit i was on the channel normally reserved for 'Bid-Up TV'...(I don't watch it honest).

It does make you wonder at the mental state of the people who voted for this programme, and what they class as disturbing-

Basement Jaxx video for 'Where's Your Head At?' and The Prodigy's 'Breathe' video being 'scary'?
:rolleyes:

Basement Jaxx video for 'Where's Your Head At?
Nah M8, that's top scare-stuff.
Anyone who's seen 'O Lucky Man' will know what I'm on about.
(When the hero opens a door, and there on the bed is a PIG with a ........ gulp........... BLOKE'S HEAD.:eek: and it turns and tries to talk to him, and he flees, horrified.........)

'Breathe' is about an asphyxiation sex game so whatever pre-watershead video was thought up to go with it wouldn't exactly convey the message.

For some reason as a small child, Crowded House's video 'Don't dream it's over' video used to frighten the bejaysus outta me- much to my family's mirth- looking at it now I wonder what was going on in my head at the time

Aphex Twin's videos to 'Come To Daddy' and 'Windowlicker' are much more disturbing IMHO to The Prodigy's "oooh let's chuck in an alligator for visual effect" video.
But that being said I can understand where people find the 'Where's your Head At' vid a bit freaky.

It's like The Big Read that's going on ATM, whatever's recent in the public mind gets voted in at number one, regardless of whether it's deserving or not.
It will be interesting to see clips of 'Ghostwatch' on the next edition, I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast and scared my impressionable young mind.:eek!!!!:

scarey? hah!!

we were laughling all the way through it

Scary? Ha! I thought to myself, I thought, I'm a grown up, I can watch this in a darkened house on my own... can I bollocks! Today, I'm all a-twitch and worry. And it wasn't even that scary, only three or so clips had genuine freakout factor, and they haven't even got to Ghostwatch yet. Of course, I'm going to have to watch the rest tonight, just to get closure, but it'll take me weeks to get over it. Weeks! I don't know why I do this to myself :D

Melf- are you on about my pitiful Ghostwatch quote?

I was only about 9 or 10 when it was broadcast, after my older brother and his friends started saying they could see the figure by the window, mass hysteria kicked in and then we all could see the ghost in the 'photo and stills !
Plus I couldn't get my head around Sarah Greene lying to us poor kids, she'd been my idol on Blue Peter and Going Live:p

:)

That thing bothered me for weeks, and I was 20 at the time. :eek: I watched it on my own as I was renting a room in a house at the time and I had to turn off part way through. :(
My friend told me the next day she'd watched the whole thing and it wasn't real. I felt foolish but I was still scared to turn the light out. :eek!!!!:

escargot said:
Don't think that's been on yet. Can't wait!:eek:

(What REALLY scared me in a fillum was when the robot guy in 'Alien' has his head blown off and the crew wire it up to make it tell them what's going on.
I must have missed something there because when I saw it at the cinema, I still thought he was supposed to be a real bloke who'd been killed and had just his head resurrected (a la Frankenstein) just to answer a few qustions. The horror of that stayed with me for years until some kind soul explained that, no, he was a machine, and it didn't hurt.....:rolleyes:)

Ooh, yes, I found that creepy too! It was Ian Holm, wasn't it?

Carole

Quixote said:
Melf- are you on about my pitiful Ghostwatch quote?

I was only about 9 or 10 when it was broadcast, after my older brother and his friends started saying they could see the figure by the window, mass hysteria kicked in and then we all could see the ghost in the 'photo and stills !
Plus I couldn't get my head around Sarah Greene lying to us poor kids, she'd been my idol on Blue Peter and Going Live:p

:)

i was on bout the prog 100 greatest... etc

ghostwatch was shown at uncon this year it was also funny.
the whole room was very packed

Loved the Doomwatch clip.
And the Singing Ringing Tree is by far the most disturbing thing they've shown so far.

Well, The Shining won, but I see that as more of a horror comedy than being scary. Great film, though. And they didn't show the ending of it, like they did with most of the others.

Well, as someone who is scared of everything, including my own shadow, I can definitively say, The Shining - not scary at all. Kind of funny. And Halloween, which everyone witters on about. Not scary. But then human slasher-murder-danger in films doesn't really scare me all that much, whereas it just takes the whiff of the supernatural and I'm behind the sofa, and then back on prozac and therapy for years and years and years.

I'm so glad the Metz judderman ad was in there, because that's ace. And the Buffy ep Hush gave me fangirl joy.

Speaking of childhood fears, you know what gave me absolute wide-eyed haunted-look day-and-nightmares when I was seven? That Look and Read thing, called Through the Dragon's Eye. featured this deeply horrifyingly scary long-fingernails skull-headed thing called Charn. Launched a lifetime fear of long-fingernailed things for me. Then Edward Scissorhands and Wolverine came along and made it all better, like a nice big friendly dog or something. :D

I've mentioned this before on various threads but the scariest movie I've seen is a low-budget NZ film "The Quiet Earth". It doesn't have any revolving heads or exploding aliens but there is a palpable sense of horror as the main character realizes that not only is he responsible for the madness, but he is also the only one who can stop it.

Jane.

Alien shouldn't have even been in the top 50 let alone the top 10:rolleyes:

The shineing is one of the scariest movies ever though, not for the bit where Jack nicholson gos bananas, which is certinly the most famous bit in the film, but for other parts of the film depending on how old you are when you see it. I was about 10 when I saw it and the "come play with us, Danny, for ever and ever and ever..." sceane with the cuts to the blood covered corpse really frecked me out. It gave me nightmares for weeks and I watched other movies at the time like nightmare on elm street, hellraiser, friday the 13th etc, none of them had the same effect.

Back