• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 13th Floor

oll_lewis wrote:
Similar to all this is the fact cardiff central station dosen't have a platform 5, it has a platform 0 though.

The reason why isn't due to superstion though, as far as I'm aware it's because platform anouncements are made in Welsh and English. You see the thing about 5 in the Welsh language is it's spelt pump and pronounced 'pimp'. Aparently having a pimp platform should be avoided in cities with docks.

That's the first explanation I've ever come across.

When I used to commute to work, I spent many hours sitting on various platforms at Cardiff Central, and I'd ponder why there is no Platform Five, but I never thought of translating it to Welsh.

"Platform Pimp" :laughing:

For some reason that's totally unapparent to me, Leeds College of Music uses the US convention for floors, so it's 1st to 5th rather than ground to 4th.

Any ideas as to why they'd do this? Just trying to be pretentious and American? It is a bit of a pretentious building, don't know why some idiot has to design the staircase in at the opposite end of the building to the elevator?

Or maybe they thought the numbering had some psychological significance - aiming for a perfect 5th :D

I was staying in the Holiday Inn Taipei earlier in the year and noticed that not only were they lacking a 13th floor but a 9th (IIRC) floor too! Maybe there's a far eastern thing about the number 9? number 9? number 9? number 9? number 9? number 9? number 9? number 9? number 9?
:lol:

Maybe the person who designed the building can't count.

Having said all that, buildings with over 12 stories are scarce in this country, nor is their erection encouraged

Apart from the one with 36 floors that's going up in Leeds at the moment :shock:

It is something of an aberration, no idea how this got past the planning stage.

Hospitaller, are you sure it wasn't the fourth floor missing?

Hmmm. Could've been... There was definitely the 13th, and then one other, which is what I noticed before I copped no 13th. Dunno why I can't remember! Is there a reason for the fourth being missing? I'm intrigued to know!

Yep, the word four 'shi' is a synonym for death 'shi' so it's to be avoided at all costs. Multiples are even worse. For example when my mother was 44 and was asked her age, she would say she was '45 next year'.

Thanks! Maybe it was the fourth... the 9th sticks in my mind for some reason. Maybe it's that the 4 & 9 numerals look so alike. Must check it out further...

Back