• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

1966: Anno Satanae I?

amarok2005

Ephemeral Spectre
According to Jim Brandon's "Rebirth of Pan," Anton LaVey declared 1966 "Anno Satanae I" on his calendar, and many weird things happened this year. The infamous Mothman sequence began this year.

In the realm of human oddities, 1966 gave us the modern concept of Mass Murder, with Richard Speck and Charles Whitman.

Here's a list of UFO and humanoid sightings:

http://www.ufoinfo.com/humanoid/humanoid1966.shtml

As long as it's the 40th anniversary, so to speak, of 1966, can anyone think of other oddities or fortean events?

I was "made"* in 1966....mwahahaha :twisted:

*In a tent in St Tropez [after loosing against england in the world cup...]

The Aberfan disaster occured in that year and it's alleged that at least one of the children who was killed forsaw it. I'm also positive that I once saw a drawing by one of the victims which had erie similarites to the event and its consequences.

WhistlingJack said:
The Aberfan disaster occured in that year and it's alleged that at least one of the children who was killed forsaw it. I'm also positive that I once saw a drawing by one of the victims which had erie similarites to the event and its consequences.

This really rings a bell with me too but I can't find any reference to it.

There was also the Mount Fuji air crash where over a hundred people were killed. Not massive in a loss of life sense - although it was to the families involved :( - but there was a big flood in Florence that year too.

Yes, but every year has its share of disasters and tragedies. To single one year out as significant might not mean much in the great scheme of things.

gncxx said:
Yes, but every year has its share of disasters and tragedies. To single one year out as significant might not mean much in the great scheme of things.

I agree and I actually thought that when I first read the OP. It would be interesting to see how much disaster actually happened in that year though and see how it does actually compares against other years.

Did he give specifics or outline the process?

One the of the more iconoclastic people I know was born on June 6, 1966.

jefflovestone said:
WhistlingJack said:

The Unexplained part-works had a piece on Aberfan premonition.

sherbetbizarre said:
jefflovestone said:
WhistlingJack said:

Sadly, I haven't had a full collection of that for years. I used to see them in charity shops and I kept promising myself I'd pick them all up again but never got around to it and, typically, I haven't seen any for aaages.

Dingo667 said:
I was "made"* in 1966....mwahahaha :twisted:

*In a tent in St Tropez [after loosing against england in the world cup...]

Heh heh, I was born in 66, summer solstice, which as you may know is an important pagan date in June, which happens to be the 6th month.
My sister is a born again Christian who keeps checking my scalp for some reason. :roll:

sherbetbizarre said:

In that case, it may also have cropped up in The X-Factor (no, not that one...). I'll have a look through my copies and see if I find anything.

1966? I've always though that 1963 was stranger, with openly devilish church and churchyard desecrations in England and the assassination of a president over here.

This old Angelfire webpage:

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/synagogasatanae/annosatanae.html

... lists a number of factors allegedly involved in 1966 being appropriate as Anno Satanae year 1.

Much of this relates to Rome's adoption of Christianity, the Latin Mass, and church history. I can't determine whether or how a 1900-year lapse since Nero's initial persecution of Christians (or any other timespan one can derive from the dates given) makes 1966 a necessary pivot point in this historical theory.

Why, I sincerely wish to be informed, does Satan get all of the attention. He's just a number in the file of lesser saints and demons, according to The Decameron.

New thread for this?

Much of this relates to Rome's adoption of Christianity, the Latin Mass, and church history. I can't determine whether or how a 1900-year lapse since Nero's initial persecution of Christians (or any other timespan one can derive from the dates given) makes 1966 a necessary pivot point in this historical theory.

Agreed. The Angelfire article initially states that Vatican II ended in 1966 when in fact it concluded in 1965. The new form of the mass was first celebrated not in 1966 but on the first Sunday of Advent in 1969. I note the timeline of events further down the page contains the correct information. Whoever drafted the text on that website didn't bother to employ the services of a proofreader.

I too was born in 1966 but unlike QuaziWashboard my birthday doesn't fall near the time of the summer solstice. I was in fact born two-and-a-half weeks after the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. If I stretch the logic used in the Angelfire article, does that mean I am the reincarnation of Harold Godwinson, William of Normandy or someone else altogether? For what it's worth, I wasn't born with an arrow in my eye. Perhaps those of us born in that year should consider ourselves Fortean oddities. :hapdan:

This is fun because I'm re-reading "Rosemary's Baby" right now. (Because of a Dakota Thread elsewhere.)

Sometimes I'm interested in negative correlations, such as when some phenomena stop happening. One of my more recent hobbies is reading the Missing 411 series of David Paulides, about mysterious disappearances of people in the wilderness and national parks (and more recently in more urban settings). To quote my own little web-page:

When reading Missing 411: Eastern United States, I watched for dates and places that would match the stats of other unusual events. I was rather perplexed, then, to reach the section entitled "Gaps in Time with No Disappearances" (p. 295). It seems that Colorado, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, and three cluster areas in California have something in common: "[T]here were no disappearances meeting the criteria of the book from 7/1966-4/1980," as Paulides writes.

This was perplexing because 1966 seemed to be the year that paranormal/fortean phenomena revved into high gear. Jim Brandon, again, encapsulated the zeitgeist of the era in another book, The Rebirth of Pan:

"The year 1966 triggered what investigator John Keel has called 'an almost overwhelming wave' of unidentified flying object and creature sightings on our continent. These included mysterious animal killings and the lurking of 'a very tall, faceless' entity around a much-bedeviled lovers' lane near Morristown, New Jersey; the fluttering about of 'big black cats with hairy wings' in Ontario, Canada . . . and a couple of dozen equally implausible incidents around the country."

The best known of these incidents were the sightings of the bizarre flying creature called Mothman, most of which took place in and around the small West Virginia town of Point Pleasant.

The Process Church of the Final Judgement was established in 66.

I can recommend Gary Lachlan's 'turn off your mind' to anyone interested in the history 60s occultism

Back