• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Colour TV? You were definitely posh! I bet you didn't have to whack yours on the top to get the picture straight either?
Heh heh- or when a valve would “go” and you’d end up with a very thin horizontal line across the now black screen-which showed tiny slivers of the program moving about - with the sound still on-! remember ours doing that just as the Martian in the original 50’s film version of War of the World put its suckered hand on the Heroines shoulder- on Good Friday afternoon- so no chance of getting it fixed till the following midweek!!

Oh and “dark” films- though they’ve probably been mentioned- Rollerball, Soylent Green, Omega Man, Silent Running, THX1138, Death Race 2000, The Offence ( Connery’s best performance imho) and The Man Who Haunted Himself (also imho Moore’s best performance too)

Oh and does anybody remember the TV advert for a mag called “Man, Myth and Magic” - it had a scary wizard/witch picture with a pulsing heartbeat behind it that lit up the eyes in time to it? Jeez I hated it so much I’d turn away and put my head in a cushion during the ad breaks- it was truly horrible!, really dark and creepy!

I confess I was a great fan of the 70's. Great music, films, discovery of bikes, girls, cars, left the school I hated, great Uni, plenty of jobs around, very affordable houses. Largely immune to industrial strife. Bring back the 70's (except for the questionable fashion) is what I say.

Back