• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

2000AD

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I thought I'd start a thread on 2000AD. Thinking about it it was one of my early exposures to weirdness (famously I bought 6 copies of number 1 and binned them as I was young at the tim and really only after the space spinner - I didn't start reading it properl again until round the 70s and 80s) - a lot of the US comics I was reading weren't genuinely odd and there were some very sinister heroes like Nemesis, Deadlock, etc. and I recall a very odd Strontium Dog with Mr Moon and Mr Sun - also who could forget Zenith?? Of course it is a breeding ground for great British writers and artists who went on to go big in the US.

At the moment nearly ever series most series are suitbaly odd and Cabbalistics Inc and Red Seas (just fnished its third run) are very Fortean and Ten Seconders is shaping up well.

---------
See also:

Drawing Fort about the Necronauts series:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23256

A thread about Revere:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12978

----------
Reviews:

Necronauts
www.forteantimes.com/review/necro.shtml

The Complete Indigo Prime
www.forteantimes.com/review/indigo.shtml

The Red Seas: Under The Banner of King Death
www.forteantimes.com/review/redseas.shtml

And one of the few home-grown British weeklies (which isn't a TV or film tie-in) that's actually still going - though these days I understand it caters for a more mature audience, probably the 30 somethings who first started reading it in the seventies. Amazingly enough - and apart from the Dandy or Beano - the only other 'old fashioned' magazine which is still going well is Commando!

I recently got an anthology of Commando stories as a birthday prezzie - all 'Achtung!', 'Gott in Himmel!", und "Donner und Blitzen!" and inevitable 'saurkraut' jokes offered by the truimphant tommies. Ah, brings back memories.

BTW - remember Tornado? If you do, drop Dave Gibbons a line - he might offer you some money to forget it.

though these days I understand it caters for a more mature audience, probably the 30 somethings who first started reading it in the seventies.

That's me!
It has a certain 'mature. feel to some stories, but there are others, like Beck 'n' Kawl (comedy student wasters)or old favourite Rogue Trooper, that still have the ability to appeal to the youngsters.

And with the Rogue Trooper game due for release shortly, we can hope that it will bring in a younger audience to the comic.

Zarjazz!!

I used to love 2000AD as a kid, it was my favourite out of all the Saturday morning comics we'd have such as Buster and Battle. Sadly, I haven't read any for a looooong time though.

Strontium Dog was probably my favourite strip along with Slaine, Nemesis and DR & The Grinch. Oh and ABC Warriors!

We also used to get the spin-off Judge Dredd mag as well - Devlin Waugh was a fave, Sean Phillips is a fantastic artist.

I used to love 2000AD as a kid, it was my favourite out of all the Saturday morning comics we'd have such as Buster and Battle. Sadly, I haven't read any for a looooong time though.

Strontium Dog was probably my favourite strip along with Slaine, Nemesis and DR & The Grinch. Oh and ABC Warriors!

We also used to get the spin-off Judge Dredd mag as well - Devlin Waugh was a fave, Sean Phillips is a fantastic artist.

A lot of those old strips are still about.
Strontium Dog (my favourite too) is back, with John Wagner writing it once again.
Slaine is still rolling along, but with some of the most astonoshing art I've ever seen in a comic from Clint Langley http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=droid&page=artist&choice=clintl
Nemesis came to a most definate end, and Alan Moore doesn't write for them anymore, so DR and Quinch (you were close!) are no more, though a GN of their strips is out soon.
ABC warriors start a new series in a few weeks, and Devlin Waguh just finished in the megazine a couple of months ago, with Colin MacNeil on art duties.

And finally, no, I don't work for them!

Strontium Dog was my favourite, not Dredd. White fascist police brutality never did appeal to me. I remember the run when they introduced Durham Red. Round that time we also had Chopper (a great "Dredd, but not really Dredd" story), Zenith (awesome) and Bad Company (again awesome).

I think today, 2000 AD doesn't do a great deal to cater to the audience it had when I used to read it (and I still have those stories... apparently, mature stories in this day and age equate violence and innuendo... when held up against stories like Bad Company and Zenith, this modern interpretation of 'mature' is nothing short of 'immature').

Bring back the cheap print quality, the high writing and drawing quality, and lower the price so 'young readers' can actually afford it. If we want a new generation of comic book readers, give them the fighting chance we had, for pete's sake.

I liked Skizz, Sláine and Rogue Trooper. But, my favourites were Danny Dare and Grimly Fiendish... Oh! Sorry, they were in Wham! :madeyes:

Yikes. I've not though of 2000AD in so long until now...

I liked the VC's, Strontium Dog "Hmm, sounds like a number 4 cartridge!" and D.R. and Quinch, though Dredd got good in the detailing, all the movies and music references coded in the strip.

Is it still 200AD, given that it is now a past date and all?

The Wiki article is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD_(comic)

Never saw that many of them over here, but I have the odd issues of Nemesis (which I couldn't understand what was happening) and a fair amount of the Marvelman/Miracleman reprints (great stuff). And some independently printed Slaine...

And if you are a Slaine fan: the Glenn Fabry site is pretty darn cool!

http://www.glennfabry.co.uk/

Niall114 said:
Is it still 200AD, given that it is now a past date and all?

Indeed it is - there was some debate about whether to make it 3000AD but its gone beyond just being a date and has become a name and essentially I suppose a brand.

Oddly it did seem to slack off in the run down to the Millenium but I'm glad I stuck with it as it is producing a lot more interesting material again.

WhistlingJack said:
fquake said:
And with the Rogue Trooper game due for release shortly, we can hope that it will bring in a younger audience to the comic.

Been done - Rogue Trooper (Piranha, 1986) ;)

There have been games of:

Rogue Trooper (Spectrum & C64)
Judge Dredd (Mega Drive and PC)
Nemesis The Warlock (this was good though you didn't get to fly in his ship
Blitzspear) (Spectrum & C64 (1987))

I didn't read a lot of 2000AD, but I loved DR and Quinch - my older cousin got me into it.

Rogue Trooper (Spectrum & C64)
Judge Dredd (Mega Drive and PC)
Nemesis The Warlock (this was good though you didn't get to fly in his ship
Blitzspear) (Spectrum & C64 (1987))

There was also a Strontium Dog game on the Spectrum.

fquake said:
There was also a Strontium Dog game on the Spectrum.

Wow that one passed me by:

Info Here
Your Spectrum apparently rated it 1/5 :lol:

[Emp edit: Fixing link as URL BBcode wasn't being parsed]

A review of the first Red Seas GN:

www.forteantimes.com/review/redseas.shtml

One of their most Fortean series - Hollow Earth and all sorts of strangeness.

[edit: I also started the Wikipedia entry for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Seas ]

--------
One to watch out for is Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files which will compile all the JD stories starting from the very first issue:

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files: v. 1 (out mid-feb)
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/19042 ... ntmagaz-21

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files: v. 2 (seemingly out early Feb)

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files: v. 3 (out early April)

I remember being quite fond of ESP Smith(?) and MACH 1, which was a bit of a Six Million Dollar Man knock off, only more violent. And Flesh, which was just plain sick at times (people falling into enormous mincing machines, being munched by T-rex's etc').

Heckler20 said:

Could you please explain what precisely was wrong with the code, Emps? I encountered problems when I tried to post a link from the same site and if it'd help in the future, any info would be appreciated, thanks ;)

WhistlingJack said:
Heckler20 said:

Could you please explain what precisely was wrong with the code, Emps? I encountered problems when I tried to post a link from the same site and if it'd help in the future, any info would be appreciated, thanks ;)

Nothing is wrong with the code per se the problem was the link - I've fixed a few like this recently.

The BBcode says "make what's in this link tags into a link" but the regular expression is thrown by some odd characters - it esp. doesn't like things like ! or $ (which really shouldn't be used in URLs - there are standards for these things ;) ). The only solution is to use something like TinyUrl (there is a handy FireFox extesnion which makes this easypeasy) to produce a simpler URL that will work.

I post mp3 blog links on another board and I've noticed that BBcode doesn't like certain characters at all - still, I suppose it's a way to prevent hotlinking... Thanks for your help ;)

BlackRiverFalls said:
I remember being quite fond of ESP Smith(?)

That would be "The mind of Wolfie Smith", a kind of 70s pastiche of socially deprived Britain, with a lead character redolent of a UK TV programme at the time: "citizen smith", but with pyschic powers.

BlackRiverFalls said:
And Flesh, which was just plain sick at times (people falling into enormous mincing machines, being munched by T-rex's etc').

The first Flesh was fantastic stuff though after the Action kerfuffle they had to tone it down so they were sticking heads back on bodies and whiteing out gore.

The other ones which followed were rubbish and really not worth the effort searching out.

ghostdog19 said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
I know there are homo-erotic elements to Judge Dredd but does anyone else think this weeks front cover is pushing things a bit far:

www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.ph ... hoice=1485

And to answer his question - not likely!!
You'd have to be in a homoerotic frame of mind to notice.

Been watching Top Gun on repeat play again have you, Emps? Hmm?

It plays in my head all the time - I think it might be Scientologists mind rays at work!!

Hey, never listen to them, Emps.
You can be my wingman anytime!

Back