• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

2000AD

I liked Armourgideon it was my first exposure to Manga style art.

(manga does not mean sacking the colourist, as several american comics producers do think.)

But wasnt 2000AD delightful grungy GB nilhilism?

sherbetbizarre said:
Trailer for the new Judge Dredd movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY

WTF? A drug that impacts Shatner's Bassoon?

It's too 'near future' looking for me. That looks like it could 10 years in the future rather than the bizarre future metropolis of block wars and belly wheels. Everybody should be wearing giant moonboots and the buildings made of multi-coloured plastic. Take away the helmet and the film could be any crime-related action film of the last few years.

I'll be disappointed if Lena Headey doesn't have sex with her brother, too.

And it needs some Boing!

Actually i always found Dredd the most boring strip in 2000AD, but boing antics always tickled me.

BlackRiverFalls said:
And it needs some Boing!

Actually i always found Dredd the most boring strip in 2000AD, but boing antics always tickled me.

LOL. I forgot about Boing. I don't know about the film needing Boing! but this world needs it.

Dredd himself was boring. It was always the city itself and the people that lived there that was interesting.

I have to say that Dredd trailer looks spectacularly unimpressive. A wooden Dredd, very average CGI, a (for me) banal storyline. On the strength of that trailer, I think I'm going to prefer Stallone.

I always preferred Johnny Alpha and the Strontium Dogs!

Anyone think Dredd was going to be billed as "Judge Judy and Executioner?" Hot Fuzz, you have ruined everything! Anyway, this looks a bit straight to DVD, and the incredibly addictive death drug cliche was what sank Robocop 2, but it's British and it's trying very hard, so I'll reserve... judgement.

Dredd himself was boring. It was always the city itself and the people that lived there that was interesting.

I think that's the problem for turning it into an action movie narrative rather than something a bit more stream of consciousness, there were recurring villains but he didn;t really have a nemisis in the usual sense and a lot of the stories required at least some back knowledge.

Personally I always liked the high noon-ish story where his brother Rico came back from 20 years on Titan, creeped the heck out of me the way his skin was shrivelled and bits of his face were missing, the last movie butchered that well enough.

Just been re-reading a load of back progs and stumbled upon Dr. Rickard of Psi-Division's Department of Fortean Events... He appeared in two stories as I recall, "Triad" and "Shamballa".

DocRickard.jpg

Continuing my wading through backprogs : Now up to Jan 2001, and Charles Fort himself has just appeared in the strip "Necronauts", teaming up with Harry Houdini, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and H.P. Lovecraft to fight a supernatural threat...

FortNecronauts.jpg

FortNecronauts2.jpg

...and he kicks cultist arse with a cricket bat.

That's me!
It has a certain 'mature. feel to some stories, but there are others, like Beck 'n' Kawl (comedy student wasters)or old favourite Rogue Trooper, that still have the ability to appeal to the youngsters.

And with the Rogue Trooper game due for release shortly, we can hope that it will bring in a younger audience to the comic.

Shortly?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1558/rogue-trooper
1987?

Didn't realise that we had this thread, I'm a huge fan of 2000AD, been reading it since I was a little mite! It's been a big influence on my career as an artist.

Just saw this over on the 2000AD facebook page,

2000 AD Launches Fan Petition For A ‘Dredd’ TV Show
by Chris Sims January 13, 2016 3:00 PM

Here’s what Frank Palmer, who started the campaign with Brian Ritchie, has to say about it in the official press release:

“For a while now we’ve thought about broadening the campaign out – so with things having gone quiet on the possibility of a movie sequel, we’ve decided to take the fight to the TV producers who have done such good jobs with other comic book properties such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

“We’ve discussed this with 2000 AD and they’re happy for us to shift our focus to campaigning for a Judge Dredd TV series in the style of the movie. We’re relaunching the petition and we call on all fans of DREDD to join 136,000 other people in calling for people with the vision and the finance to make it happen to step up and give us what we want.

“In the next few days we’ll be organising activities so that people can lobby companies such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO, and show their support as we all say – ‘Bring Back DREDD!'”

Full article here,
http://comicsalliance.com/2000-ad-dredd-netflix/

Didn't realise that we had this thread, I'm a huge fan of 2000AD, been reading it since I was a little mite! It's been a big influence on my career as an artist.

Just saw this over on the 2000AD facebook page,

Full article here,
http://comicsalliance.com/2000-ad-dredd-netflix/

Nice idea though it is, to do justice (ho ho) to Dredd, it would need a high budget and intelligent plot. That usually means "cancelled after one season" for most sci-fi shows (Firefly, Almost Human...).

Plus, how popular is the comic in the US? Adaptations like Agents of SHIELD make it because the DC and Marvel universes already have huge fanbases so can pull in the ratings.

I suppose if anyone could do it, it would be someone like Netflix or Amazon Prime, willing to take a chance, have the episodes on-demand (so the show wouldn't get screwed over by a TV channel sticking it in wandering and crappy timeslots) and able to offer the show to an international audience without having to faff about with syndication.

So long as the Dredd concept doesn't get watered down by the need to 'do a backstory' or add filler to make up a season. He works because he's a one dimensional right-wing character, not despite it.

When you compare the two films, the latter one didn't compromise or attempt to soften the character and was much closer to the feeling of the comics than the awful Stallone one. However given the relative commercial failure of both projects it's difficult to know how it would work for a wider audience. Possibly a series in Mega-City one with Dredd as a peripheral character (a Law and Order - Mega City One type thing) with a recurring cast of Judges/crims and covering some of the wackier fads and villains that affect the city?

So long as the Dredd concept doesn't get watered down by the need to 'do a backstory' or add filler to make up a season. He works because he's a one dimensional right-wing character, not despite it.
Right-wing?
I'm not sure I know Dredd's politics.
I suppose 'authoritarian' might be more descriptive.

Bought the four Zenith books last year; awesome stuff, especially the bit where he meets all the old Beano characters.
bengroup.jpg

Loved 2000ad as a teenager. Still love Dredd and really enjoyed the movie.
Reading Slaine Book of Invasions right now.

I've tried re-reading some of the old stuff I loved 20+ years ago like the complete Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper and Nemesis but it all seems badly dated unlike Dredd IMO.

Back