• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

250 Words For Slater

Wood louse/lice, from an East Midlands/Fen background. I don't have a problem with them, they're kinda cute.

Woodlice (my missus calls them cheesebugs) are terrestrial isopods. You could get a decent meal out some of the largest marine species.
ac87c4683556342ed627f35f3d6c9661.jpg

Pillbugs, doodlebugs, roly-polies. Because of their similar streamlined shape, I recall VW Beetles being called doodlebugs in the early 60's.

Woodlice (my missus calls them cheesebugs) are terrestrial isopods. You could get a decent meal out some of the largest marine species.
Looks like Moreton Bay Bug, a delicacy from Sydney Australia. OF course this one is 10 times bigger. Family sized fisherman's basket with tartare and lemon plz.

Woodlice are basically tiny lobsters, so do the mice boil them?
I found a pile of woodlice shells at work next to a tiny hole in the wall i was informed, where the mice get in. They apparently just shove their trash out the door.
So maybe they just slurp them out of the shells? Bite their heads off first?

At school, we used to 'race' woodlice. Dab of coloured pain on the backs, constructed mazes etc.
At pottery class, I made a 3D maze with lots of crossroads, one entrance, one exit and no dead ends (the little beggars would just sit there happily).
We always let them out into nature after a day or so.

At the point where Somerset meets Dorset and flirts with Wiltshire, they are called Woodlice and/or 'Bakers Boys' and/or "Billy Bakers" (for what nomenclative* reason I know not).

*Is this an accepted word? If not, it should be.

Bathynomus giganteus info here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathynomus_giganteus

"..Bathynomus giganteus is a species of aquatic crustacean, of the order Isopoda. It is a member of the giant isopods (Bathynomus), and as such it is related—albeit distantly—to shrimps and crabs.[2] It was the first Bathynomus species ever documented and was described in 1879 by French zoologist Alphonse Milne Edwards after the isopod was found in fishermen's nets off the coast of the Dry Tortugas in the Gulf of Mexico.[3]..."

I'm with @Ladyloafer on this one - absolutely a big eff-off no on the culinary front! The insectoid compound eyes add an extra layer of no-ness.

undefined

friend of User:Borgx, CC BY-SA 3.0 <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>, via Wikimedia Commons

Back