• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

3 A.M.

DarknLost

Fresh Blood
Really not sure about this one. Most likely just a hallucination,but could be also something more frightening. It was like 3 AM,I went out for a smoke. After a few minutes have passed,I started hearing some creepy music close to my house. It was the freakish kind of music you hear at the circus or at the theme park,just at lower pitch,which makes it even scarier. Something that makes clowns get in your mind first as you hear it. It was coming from the street. I even went on the road to check if it's someone pulling a prank or something,however in every direction I looked,I didn't see anyone at all,not even a car.. I doubt my neighbours were the ones playing it,because their lights from their house were all turned off,so they were probably sleeping. They are also all very mature people already,not some teenagers having parties at home. I also slightly heard some kind of laughter..at this point,I better went back in my house. Worth to mention that I also live in a peaceful quiet vilage,not a city,so hearing this randomly at 3 AM is very unusual.
The music was very similar to this:

Really not sure about this one. Most likely just a hallucination,but could be also something more frightening. It was like 3 AM,I went out for a smoke. After a few minutes have passed,I started hearing some creepy music close to my house. It was the freakish kind of music you hear at the circus or at the theme park,just at lower pitch,which makes it even scarier. Something that makes clowns get in your mind first as you hear it. It was coming from the street. I even went on the road to check if it's someone pulling a prank or something,however in every direction I looked,I didn't see anyone at all,not even a car.. I doubt my neighbours were the ones playing it,because their lights from their house were all turned off,so they were probably sleeping. They are also all very mature people already,not some teenagers having parties at home. I also slightly heard some kind of laughter..at this point,I better went back in my house. Worth to mention that I also live in a peaceful quiet vilage,not a city,so hearing this randomly at 3 AM is very unusual.

I remember reading a book by self-proclaimed 'demonologists' and bullshit artistes extraordinaire Ed and Lorraine Warren (at least I think it was by them) in which they claimed that most ghostly encountered happened between 3 and 4 AM, in mockery of the holy trinity.

Sometimes you can hear faint music from quite a long way off, I have heard it from over a mile away, it seems to be at night, when it is more quiet, I used to hear the wakes, the music and peoples voices seemed to come and go with the wind. So it is likely someone quite a way away was having a lil bit of a knees up

"Oh God, midnight's not bad, you wake and go back to sleep, one or two's not bad, you toss but sleep again. Five or six in the morning's not bad there's hope, for dawn's just under the horizon.But three, now, Christ, three a.m.! The blood moves slow.You're the nearest to dead you'll ever be save dying. Sleep is a patch of death, but three in the morn, full wide-eyed staring, is living death! You dream with your eyes open. God, if you had strength to rouse up, you'd slaughter your half dreams with buckshot! But no, you lie pinned to a deep well-bottom that's burned dry. The moon rolls by to look at you down there, with its idiot face. It's a long way back to sunset, a far way on to dawn, so you summon all the fool things of your life, the stupid lovely things done with people known so very well who are now so very dead - And wasn't it true, had he read it somewhere, more people in hospitals die at 3 a.m. than at any other time . . .?"

-- Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Bradbury returns to the theme of 3 AM as the midnight of the soul in several stories. And of course Something Wicked is about an evil, supernatural carnival coming to Green Town, Illinois, its calliope music drifting along in the night wind . . .

In The Sopranos a character has a NDE, or possibly a morphine dream, wherein he sees the Afterlife and brings back a message; 'Tell Tony (Soprano) three o'clock!'

His Mob colleagues puzzle over this. The most superstitious one begins waking in the early hours in a panic, certain something dire will happen at 3am...

Singing at 3.00am is not a good idea. Mind you, with my singing voice, bursting into song at any time is a bad idea. My music teacher at school said I was the only person he knew who could mime out of tune.
THE SPOOKY STORY OF WHY YOU SHOULD NOT SING AT 3:00 A.M., IF NOT YOU’LL…
By
Goody Feed Team
The-spooky-story-of-why-you.jpg

I‘m sure many of us have been warned by our parents to not to whistle at night for fear of attracting unwelcome visitors from the afterlife. But did you know that whistling at night is nothing compared to what happens when you sing at night?
The reason for not doing so is that it may attract something even scarier than your typical wandering spirit. The explanation for the reason why we should not sing at night is down to the fact that ghosts and spirits are active at night and if you whistle or sing, it may attract their attention and they may just follow you.
A common tale passed down by many is that there was once a girl who did not believe in the warnings of her parents and brushed it off as a superstitious old wives’ tale. One early morning, at exactly 3.00 a.m., while she was singing, she felt a chill run down her spine, but she did not pay attention to it. As the days followed, she could feel the presence of someone around her even though she was alone, and whenever she turned around to check, there was always no one present.
etc

https://goodyfeed.com/the-spooky-story-of-why-you-should-not-sing-at-300-a-m-if-not-youll/

The first thing I thought of was a child's mobile hanging above a crib/cot. We used to have a wind-up one that played kinda creepy plink-plonk music very similar to a child's music box or circus music. When it was winding down, the music would slow and the tone would drop. It would sometimes stop completely but then start again when the little one managed to grab it and start it moving again.

There was maybe a bedroom window open somewhere and a small child laughing at the mobile spinning round.

Alternatively, lots of video games, films etc feature these sounds nowadays. You might not have been the only one awake at 3am.

Bradbury returns to the theme of 3 AM as the midnight of the soul in several stories. And of course Something Wicked is about an evil, supernatural carnival coming to Green Town, Illinois, its calliope music drifting along in the night wind . . .

Time of posting noted! Are you still with us Amarok?

Sollywos x

"Oh God, midnight's not bad, you wake and go back to sleep, one or two's not bad, you toss but sleep again. Five or six in the morning's not bad there's hope, for dawn's just under the horizon.But three, now, Christ, three a.m.! The blood moves slow.You're the nearest to dead you'll ever be save dying. Sleep is a patch of death, but three in the morn, full wide-eyed staring, is living death! You dream with your eyes open. God, if you had strength to rouse up, you'd slaughter your half dreams with buckshot! But no, you lie pinned to a deep well-bottom that's burned dry. The moon rolls by to look at you down there, with its idiot face. It's a long way back to sunset, a far way on to dawn, so you summon all the fool things of your life, the stupid lovely things done with people known so very well who are now so very dead - And wasn't it true, had he read it somewhere, more people in hospitals die at 3 a.m. than at any other time . . .?"

Does anyone else remember the film? I watched it on video, soooooo many years ago now, and I've been looking for it ever since.

I thought it was four AM that was famously creepy? Both in fiction but to a greater extent in Forteana and weirdshit? Aren't most people supposed to die between 4 and 5AM? Though how anyone accurately measures this is beyond me, patients in hospitals I suppose.

Isn't 4-5 "The Witching Hour"?

Sollywos wrote:

Time of posting noted! Are you still with us Amarok?

Actually, I was calculating what time it was in Britain, to see if anyone would be up! It's probably just because it "seems" more appropriate, but I've only heard of midnight as the witching hour. (In fact, there's a comic book by that name: Witching Hour.)

Actually, other than in Bradbury, I've never heard anything special/evil about three AM.

I thought it was four AM that was famously creepy? Both in fiction but to a greater extent in Forteana and weirdshit? Aren't most people supposed to die between 4 and 5AM? Though how anyone accurately measures this is beyond me, patients in hospitals I suppose.

Isn't 4-5 "The Witching Hour"?

The one I heard (heaven knows if this is true) is when you get up for a bathroom visit, usually between 3am and 4am, you can put a strain on your heart by sharply moving from sleeping state to waking state, and if you're already in dodgy health that'll tip you over the edge. Or even if you're not in dodgy health, but just getting on a bit. Any doctors here to confirm or deny that one?

3 A.M. witching or demon hour. Heard it mentioned often on ghost hunting videos. They like to do the hunting after 3 A.M. because they think apparitions and entities will show up then.

I am wondering if I have been existing in a different dimension to everyone else here, as I've consistently heard/read 4AM. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, it's just I've come across it many times, I read a reference to people with anxiety/insomnia waking at that hour only a day or two ago and the author made the semi-humorous point "it's always 4AM", her emphasis. Perhaps this 4AM thing is my "it happened to me"?

Between three and four AM is the depression hour. It's a long way from the previous day, and also a long way from the Sun rising; more so in winter.

It is the time when the things that are circling around your mind build up and you can't think of a solution.

NEVER make decisions during this period.

It will look better when the Sun comes up; even if the situations hasn't actually changed.

Take this advice from an insomniac who never gets to sleep before five AM, and consequently goes through this every night.

INT21.

I love ray Bradbury stories

The one I heard (heaven knows if this is true) is when you get up for a bathroom visit, usually between 3am and 4am, you can put a strain on your heart by sharply moving from sleeping state to waking state, and if you're already in dodgy health that'll tip you over the edge. Or even if you're not in dodgy health, but just getting on a bit. Any doctors here to confirm or deny that one?

Dunno about that, but I recall hearing on Radio 4 not so long back that some of the symptoms of an impending heart attack are a serious sinking feeling, leading to you feeling that you really really need to go to the bog - and that many of the unfortunate people found dead in the morning set off to the throne room in the middle of the night unaware they were about to have a catastrophic coronary episode rather than an epic dump.

Around 3-4am is "the dead of the night", when most people really are dead to the world. Experienced burglars know that they can get away with making a lot more noise at that time, that no-one will hear a splintering door or breaking pane of glass - even though the sound will carry a long way because there is no other competing background noise. I trained myself a long time ago to wake up if I start dreaming of loud bangs, and have interrupted more than one attempted break-in at nearby business premises as a result. ( Also, I learned to wake up if I find myself dreaming of driving down the motorway - just in case I really am driving down the motorway and have dropped off!)
With so many people working odd shift patterns these days, I wonder if this part of the night is no more - there always seems to be someone out and about, whatever time it is. Once upon a time you could go out for a spin on a motorbike at 5am in midsummer and go like a TT rider with very little chance of anyone coming the other way as you take a wide corner. Not so these days.

Undoubtedly, the Little People trying to lure you away! Never follow the music, never.

Coincidentally, at 0254 today l was awoken by my bladder. l had closed the bedroom window because birds in the tree outside wake at 0400, and they don’t see why anyone else should have a lie-in.

As soon as the window was open, l heard a noise exactly like the one l remember from telly programmes featuring hot air balloons: that rushing, roaring noise of burning propane as the pilot increases altitude. The sound was indistinguishable from my memories of the TV shows, both in pitch and duration.

l looked out of the window: nothing visible in the sky.

A minute later (literally: 0255) the sound was repeated. Another look: still nothing.

As l used the loo, l believe l heard the sound again.

l closed the window, and slept until about 0630.

Sunrise today was at 0438, so l find the idea of a romantic dawn balloon ride implausible.

l have never ridden in a hot air balloon, nor do l recall ever being able to hear the noise of the gas burner from one so distinctly.

maximus otter

Coincidentally, at 0254 today l was awoken by my bladder. l had closed the bedroom window because birds in the tree outside wake at 0400, and they don’t see why anyone else should have a lie-in.

As soon as the window was open, l heard a noise exactly like the one l remember from telly programmes featuring hot air balloons: that rushing, roaring noise of burning propane as the pilot increases altitude. The sound was indistinguishable from my memories of the TV shows, both in pitch and duration.

l looked out of the window: nothing visible in the sky.

A minute later (literally: 0255) the sound was repeated. Another look: still nothing.

As l used the loo, l believe l heard the sound again.

l closed the window, and slept until about 0630.

Sunrise today was at 0438, so l find the idea of a romantic dawn balloon ride implausible.

l have never ridden in a hot air balloon, nor do l recall ever being able to hear the noise of the gas burner from one so distinctly.

maximus otter
Very large street/gutter cleaning vehicles which are often operated at night can make these type of noises as the brushes are lifted and lowered onto the road.

Very large street/gutter cleaning vehicles which are often operated at night can make these type of noises as the brushes are lifted and lowered onto the road.

It definitely wasn't that for a variety of reasons, including - but not limited to - time of day and azimuth of source.

maximus otter

I've encountered a road construction / maintenance paving-related unit that really is a gas burner / flame jet. It has a row of gas jets aimed downward, employed to soften or melt asphalt. When the jets are activated the sound is identical to the 'whoosh and rumble' of a hot air balloon's burner. I've seen both large self-propelled versions of this pavement-blaster and smaller versions towed behind a truck.

Some street painting units make a low noise more akin to a burner's rumble than a sprayer's hiss.

I've encountered a road construction / maintenance paving-related unit that really is a gas burner / flame jet. It has a row of gas jets aimed downward, employed to soften or melt asphalt. When the jets are activated the sound is identical to the 'whoosh and rumble' of a hot air balloon's burner. I've seen both large self-propelled versions of this pavement-blaster and smaller versions towed behind a truck.

Some street painting units make a low noise more akin to a burner's rumble than a sprayer's hiss.
Yes I'd forgotten about that equipment. A gas burner would create that noise.

Back