• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

50 Unexplainable Black & White Photos

The photo of the children in masks standing in front of the burning car calls to mind the conversation on this board a few days ago about insurance fraud. A family outing to make a dodgy insurance claim... :?

Don't know if this odd photo was included in the original link, which no longer seems to work.

I came across this photo on Pinterest when I was looking up something totally unrelated.
It's described as a 1900 photo of textile workers in Belfast.
Can you see something not quite right about it?

The girl at bottom right seems to have a disembodied hand on her shoulder.

IMG_1065.PNG

The girl on the bottom left also has a ghostly hand touching her cheek. And also, if you look closely, most of them seem to have distorted left sides of their faces.

Don't know if this odd photo was included in the original link, which no longer seems to work.

The OP's original link is dead. A link to the archived version of the MIA webpage has been added, and specific photos cited from that first set have been added into the posts citing them.

No - the photo above was not one among the 50 originally cited in this thread.

However ...

That photo has definitely been posted or linked on the forum before. I recall there being a discussion concerning the oddity noted in the Spoiler above.

The girl on the bottom left also has a ghostly hand touching her cheek ..

If you mean her right cheek, isn't that simply folds in the material on the top the girl standing behind her is wearing?

My (vague) recollection is that we once reached a consensus the girl at the lower right was patched into this picture from another photo OR another person originally seated to the right of her was edited out of the picture.

Her image has a notably thicker and darker bordering edge than the others, and she's the only one not staring directly at the camera. These factors make me suspect her image has been patched into this picture from another photo.

I came across this photo on Pinterest when I was looking up something totally unrelated.
It's described as a 1900 photo of textile workers in Belfast.
Can you see something not quite right about it?

The girl at bottom right seems to have a disembodied hand on her shoulder.

View attachment 28327
Many years ago I used to develop my own B+W prints. The distortion looks like an artefact of developing the print - there seems to be some more at bottom left.

I forget exactly what caused that effect (we are talking nearly 50 years ago) but I've seen similar 'patchiness' on my less successful prints. I think it was to do with not having things at the right temperature, but my memory may be wrong. All my b+w negatives and most of the prints disappeared when we moved to the US, so I don't have any examples.

The girl at bottom right does seem to be looking in a different direction to the others.

My (vague) recollection is that we once reached a consensus the girl at the lower right was patched into this picture from another photo OR another person originally seated to the right of her was edited out of the picture.

Her image has a notably thicker and darker bordering edge than the others, and she's the only one not staring directly at the camera. These factors make me suspect her image has been patched into this picture from another photo.

The most logical explanation certainly.
Does seem slightly odd though that whoever did the editing obviously put a lot of care into it, to the extent that it could still keep us guessing 120 years later, and yet forgot to "ghost out" the hand on the shoulder.

Whatever the explanation is, I wonder how many of you forumists felt a tiny chill down your spine when you spotted the hand? (I did!)

Found a bit more information about the photo and a larger image, showing two more of the girls.

It was reported in The Belfast Live newspaper in 2016 that the girl with the hand on her shoulder was identified by her granddaughter Lynda as Ellen Donnelly (born McKillop). No explanation was given for the mysterious hand.

(Very convoluted and long-winded account given here: https://tops.easyvoyage.co.uk/distu...9ptCi2IV2cxd-WFMlJgyOIczt0ojQUOzVdgUcc7SDspUU)

girls.jpg

Back