• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

5000 Racing Pigeons Vanish (UK; June 2021)

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Homing pigeons vanish during race.

Mystery as ‘worst day in pigeon racing history’ sees 5,000 birds vanish into thin air​

Pigeon fanciers are trying to establish why more than half the birds flying in a race to the North East have not yet arrived with similar problems affecting competitions last Saturday

Pigeon fanciers are trying to work out how around 5,000 birds have disappeared into a “Bermuda triangle” in a single race in what is being called one of the worst days ever for the sport.
A race from Peterborough to the North East saw 9,000 pigeons taking part in what would normally be a three hour competition but more than half have yet to arrive.
Atmospheric conditions are the only explanation that has been put forward so far.
Pigeon fancier Richard Sayers told The Sun: “We’ve seen one of the very worst ever racing days in our history.
“Most of the breeders I’m talking to are blaming the atmospheric conditions — possibly a solar storm above the clouds that created static in the atmosphere — but no one really knows.”
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mystery-worst-day-pigeon-racing-24394685

I'm hoping the current low cloud will offer me enough cover that they won't realise when they're over my duvet.

Dick Dastardly and Muttley celebrate the most successful day of their career.

dick.JPG

The obvious explanation is that they're homing pigeons which finally snapped and said "ENOUGH!", then headed off to their own adventures elsewhere. The question is why more haven't done this and what compels almost all of them to return to their lofts in the first place.

Update ...

The latest news items paint a picture different from the one circulating days ago.

To some - apparently substantial - extent the birds didn't disappear but simply got delayed in making their ways back home. Furthermore, this oddness seems to have affected birds released from a variety of UK locations and not just Peterborough.
Mystery as thousands of pigeons go missing from Peterborough race

The race was started last Saturday in the city, with the birds heading to the North East of England, but some pigeons were still returning home yesterday (Thursday) - when they were scheduled to finish a few hours after the race has started. ...

Ian Evans, chief executive of the Royal Pigeon Racing Association (RPRA) said the event had been unprecedented.

He said: “There were races across all parts of the country, including one that started in Peterborough that were affected. ...

“The pigeons were taking part in short races, and most should have been home in a couple of hours.

“But at a time when we would expect more than 90 per cent home, we only had 10 per cent home. ...

Mr Evans said that since the race had taken place, birds had been arriving home throughout the week.

He said; “We were still getting reports that some were returning home yesterday.

“It can be that some find their way to someone else’s loft, and they are cared for until they are fit to be released, then they are liberated and find their way home.

“We think most are home now though - but it has taken a long time.”

Mr Evans said he had never experienced anything like what happened before. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...ons-go-missing-from-peterborough-race-3287363

Were there some specific meteorological conditions that might have delayed/downed them?

Were there some specific meteorological conditions that might have delayed/downed them?
This possibility was mentioned in one or two of the news items I saw, but there wasn't any suggestion of known weather conditions that may have caused it.

Swifty has started serving mini roast chickens at his takeaway.
I had a robin fascinated with my place for a bit. My co worker pointed it out, explained it had already got inside once so I'd be aware of that and as she was walking out to go home, she said "So try not to cook it.". I fed it some sweet corn instead outside then it shared that with it's partner.

Last edited:
I had a robin fascinated with my place for a bit. My co worker pointed it out, explained it had already got inside once so I'd be aware of that and as she was walking out to go home, she said "So try not to cook it.". I fed it some sweet corn instead outside then it shared that with it's partner.
Awwwww, cute.

… What compels almost all of them to return to their lofts in the first place?
Well, as I understand the methods of the 'fancier' to get their birds to return of their own free-will, is that they make a noise (i.e. banging a tray or similar), and of course the lure of an easy route to food!
Just like humans dropping into a restaurant for a meal, because it's far easier than making it, more convenient way to get a good meal!
Maybe the Pigeons found a good on route service station then overfed themselves and needed time to get over it?

Be careful eating that. You could get lead poisoning.
I've only eaten pigeon once - in a gastropub, obviously - but it was too gamey for me. I'm assuming it wasn't one of the 'flying rat' pigeons that fight for space with the gulls in the city centre...

I've only eaten pigeon once - in a gastropub, obviously - but it was too gamey for me. I'm assuming it wasn't one of the 'flying rat' pigeons that fight for space with the gulls in the city centre...
Pigeon was 'poor food', i.e. food for the poor, in years past. Rabbit and the odd accidental pheasant also went into the pot.
Can remember being reminded not to bite down on lead shot!

(Similar advice on chewing game carefully occurs in a Thomas Hardy novel, possibly Far from the Madding Crowd.)

I've only eaten pigeon once - in a gastropub, obviously
Are you a Sopranos fan?

Artie the chef offers a new dish: 'Quail a la Bucco. Baby quail stuffed
with fennel sausage.'

Mafia customer 1: Can I get AIDS from eating this?

Mafia customer 1: Hey, Artie, didn't I see this guy takin' a shit on a statue in the park?

The joke here is that Artie, fed up of the Mafia customers never paying their tab, fobs them off with 'tasting menus' of leftovers.

As he was seen serving up a wild rabbit he shot for eating his garden herbs you have to wonder about the pigeon! :chuckle:

I highly recommend The Sopranos. It has everything, including the supernatural!

Back